Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 16:02   #8986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Australia lose two matches badly
Australian media and fans find a target in Faf du plessis
ICC finds him guilty of ball tampering and fines him 100% of his match fees bowing to the pressure
Being put to bat, SA loses quick wickets for very few runs in the third test
People Boo Faf when he enters the ground for batting
He gives a fitting reply by scoring a wonderful century
As if that was not enough, he declares the South African innings at 259/9 with he himself being not out at 118
Now that's called a tight slap. I just loved it!
Faf just caught the Aussies pants down

After 4.3 overs they are 1 for no loss and that lone run is off a no ball.
Old 24th November 2016, 16:06   #8987
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a very smart decision because SA knew Warner couldn't come out to bat since he was out of the ground for sometime
Old 25th November 2016, 03:31   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As if that was not enough, he declares the South African innings at 259/9 with he himself being not out at 118
Now that's called a tight slap. I just loved it!
I wonder how this is a tight slap. This is a stupid decision on his part. What if SA loose by 20 odd runs?

Edit: Ok they knew Warner would not be able to bat but still. I think this is a more emotional decision than a rational one. You score as much as you can in the first innings.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th November 2016 at 03:33.
Old 25th November 2016, 08:50   #8989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I wonder how this is a tight slap. This is a stupid decision on his part. What if SA loose by 20 odd runs?

Edit: Ok they knew Warner would not be able to bat but still. I think this is a more emotional decision than a rational one. You score as much as you can in the first innings.
Mind games play a significant role against Australia. They play lot of these but are never used to people doing it against them.
If SA lose this match by 20 runs as you say, then everyone will say that they might have scored more, True.
But who knows Shamsi or Faf himself could have been out the next ball. In that case it would be like"Australia dismissed SA cheaply". But now, this declaration conveyed a message that they are not capable of taking all ten wickets(declaration always conveys this).
And with all the things that happened off the field after the second test, Faf being not out all the more irritates Australian team, Australian media and Australian cricket fans.
It also shocks the Autralian batsmen who may not be prepared to bat for the day. SA might have also got a couple of wickets in that short intense period;it would have been perfect had they got it
Warner is a huge boost to them top of the order and a game changer(like Sehwag was for India). Now he has to change his position in the batting order. He has not been good in any other positions apart from opening. Also at least another batsman's batting position is changed.

Its all about intent, mind games and Psychological changes. SA might lose or win, but it is definitely a tight slap IMO
Old 25th November 2016, 19:43   #8990
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed 100%.

In fact, if I was the South African captain, I would have wanted to bowl at Warner and get him out at that stage of the match, knowing it's a D/N test, and the ball would swing a bit more at night.
Old 25th November 2016, 21:14   #8991
Senior - BHPian

Uzzie played very well today.
About the early declaration: I think Faf wanted to have a go at Australia- basically mind games. Especially when he knew Warner wouldn't be allowed to bat, it is a good move to have a no.3 who might have not been in mentally prepared. The tactic failed, but I think AUS just has to maximise the lead, Mitchell Starc is dud with the bat.
----------------

About India v Eng, I hope J Yadav gets another chance and he should be given more overs too. I don't see the fast bowling attack changing. U Yadav and Shami are good for those short spells with bursts of speeds.

P Patel has a chance at redemption.
Old 27th November 2016, 15:49   #8992
Distinguished - BHPian

Aus Vs SA 3rd test
Well played by Australia, a very nice tribute to Phil hughes on his 3rd death anniversary. It was nice to see 2 debutants when the winning runs were scored. SA lost the test match but won the series. 3rd consecutive test series that they have won down under. Wonderful achievement.

Ind Vs Eng 3rd test
Now with Kohli gone, around 60 runs behind and with 4 more wickets remaining, this is now a 2nd innings match. Batting on 4th and 5th day, India will have a challenging time winning this match.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 27th November 2016 at 15:52.
Old 29th November 2016, 08:38   #8993
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Kohli's gamble on reviewing the lbw decision against Stokes in the last over of the day paid off well.

England is on the mat with 4 wickets down in their second essay. Still trailing by 56 runs, let's see how much more they can score today - Root, Hameed and Buttler hold the key for them
Old 29th November 2016, 09:00   #8994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mind games play a significant role against Australia. They play lot of these but are never used to people doing it against them.
If SA lose this match by 20 runs as you say, then everyone will say that they might have scored more, True.
But who knows Shamsi or Faf himself could have been out the next ball. In that case it would be like"Australia dismissed SA cheaply". But now, this declaration conveyed a message that they are not capable of taking all ten wickets(declaration always conveys this).
And with all the things that happened off the field after the second test, Faf being not out all the more irritates Australian team, Australian media and Australian cricket fans.
It also shocks the Autralian batsmen who may not be prepared to bat for the day. SA might have also got a couple of wickets in that short intense period;it would have been perfect had they got it
Warner is a huge boost to them top of the order and a game changer(like Sehwag was for India). Now he has to change his position in the batting order. He has not been good in any other positions apart from opening. Also at least another batsman's batting position is changed.

Its all about intent, mind games and Psychological changes. SA might lose or win, but it is definitely a tight slap IMO
Now that Australia have won the match, you can see the decision in hindsight and see how stupid it was. Who knows, they may have had the highest 9th wicket partnership in test cricket and South Africa would have had a score to defend bowling last. Utterly stupid decision in my opinion.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:03   #8995
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Who knows, they may have had the highest 9th wicket partnership in test cricket and South Africa would have had a score to defend bowling last. Utterly stupid decision in my opinion.
SA play tough, more when it is against the Aussies, and which other team would do such an audacious thing ?
When the team takes such risks and wins, it is praised, but when they lose they are blamed. It's a gamble they took and they won't repent it, you win some, you lose some, fair enough.
Key thing in that argument is "Who knows" - no one ever knows, it's a big IF

Meanwhile, Ind-Eng test match:
Eng 107-6, Batty and Buttler gone, Root may soon run out of partners at the other end!

Root gets 50 but England is still "stuggling"
The Cricket Thread-england-stuggling.png

Last edited by NPV : 29th November 2016 at 10:30.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:14   #8996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that Australia have won the match, you can see the decision in hindsight and see how stupid it was. Who knows, they may have had the highest 9th wicket partnership in test cricket and South Africa would have had a score to defend bowling last. Utterly stupid decision in my opinion.
Quote:
As I had written earlier, its not the result, its all mind games, more so against Australia.

Who knows they might have been out the next ball itself! Its all ifs and buts. I still don't think it was a stupid decision. Warner failed to score runs because of this change in the batting. Agreed it didn't give the match to SA, but its a small win IMO. Their second innings batting was what cost SA the match more than this decision of declaring the first innings. And also the wonderful century from Khawaja

Having already won the series did help him in the decision though. This is not the usual breed of playing test matches that we are used to see. He sent out a message "I'll try something unusual, I'm not afraid of losing one match in the course of doing that since I have already won the series against you convincingly"

Haven't we have seen so many times in the past, After convincingly winning a series, test or ODI, especially by a higher ranked team against a lower ranked team, new combinations, new players are tried out? Sometimes the higher ranked team lose the match but still have the series. This is also one such thing. SA lost of course, but in a sense they conveyed a message "We are a stronger team than you". Zimbabwe, Kenya or Bangladesh for example are used to such treatment by touring "stronger" teams and they may not mind it. But Australia, for the team they are, won't take it easily. They get annoyed. That is what SA did.

Take a read of this article whenever you have free time
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...y/1068182.html

SA lost alright, but at the end of the day, people will only say that they are the champions, they have the series, the third consecutive series in Aus. More importantly "They tried something new"

That said extreme_torque, You are free to keep your opinion and I'll keep this as mine

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th November 2016 at 10:17.
Old 29th November 2016, 15:43   #8997
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

With another good bowling performance, India got the remaining 6 English wickets in the second innings to beat them and go 2-0 up in the series. Parthiv Patel showed a lot of urgency in getting to the target with a quick 67 not out in 54 balls
Old 29th November 2016, 21:08   #8998
Senior - BHPian

I think Parthiv should be retained as an opener until Rahul comes back. He did play well.

I think he may have a part to play in our future overseas tours as both- a reserve keeper and a reserve opener. If anyone is injured, he can always fill in for a single test match. You fly someone down (as a backup) for the next game/rest of the series.
Old 29th November 2016, 21:55   #8999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think Parthiv should be retained as an opener until Rahul comes back. He did play well.

I think he may have a part to play in our future overseas tours as both- a reserve keeper and a reserve opener. If anyone is injured, he can always fill in for a single test match. You fly someone down (as a backup) for the next game/rest of the series.
+1. Saha may be good, but certainly somehow feels he lacks the actual capacity to score. Parthiv did a good job and is at par with Saha behind the stumps (considering Saha too dropped catches in the series). Parthiv will outscore Saha on most occasions.

Hope they dont bring the NoHit Talent and Dhawan back for the remaining two test matches. Team is doing well without them.
Old 29th November 2016, 22:14   #9000
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think Parthiv should be retained as an opener until Rahul comes back. I think he may have a part to play in our future overseas tours as both- a reserve keeper and a reserve opener.
Its certainly an interesting suggestion. On long overseas tours it makes sense to have Parthiv in the Squad. It may be too much to ask KL Rahul to keep in a Test!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
+1. Saha may be good, but certainly somehow feels he lacks the actual capacity to score.
Parthiv bats with some sort of a flair, something which Saha lacks.

Quote:
Hope they dont bring the NoHit Talent and Dhawan back for the remaining two test matches. Team is doing well without them.
Rohit is out of action for quite a few weeks & Dhawan has recovered from his injury i believe & will be back playing domestic games.

Most Viewed