Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 08:58   #9001
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think Parthiv should be retained as an opener until Rahul comes back. He did play well.

I think he may have a part to play in our future overseas tours as both- a reserve keeper and a reserve opener. If anyone is injured, he can always fill in for a single test match. You fly someone down (as a backup) for the next game/rest of the series.
I was watching the live telecast of the 3rd test match on Saturday and Sunday. Looking at some of the fielding efforts of Vijay and the commentators regularly saying "Vijay is struggling with his back", I feel that Vijay will soon have to be given time to rest and nurse his injury. By this time if Rahul recovers, Rahul and Parthiv will also be a good opening pair.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:27   #9002
Distinguished - BHPian

Although India have picked up Cook and Root, Jennings is motoring along - 94* on Debut must be very nice.

Paul Reiffel is hit behind his head by a throw from the deep and he fell down!!! After some attention by the English physios, he has gone out of the field replaced by Erasmus. Hope he is fine. Now the topic of umpire safety will come up and even the total removal of on-field umpires may be discussed. Like 20-20, I feel more and more umpires will start using helmets on field in any format.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th December 2016 at 13:42.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:23   #9003
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa.India is nearing 750 runs in the first innings of the fifth test and Karun Nair very close to a triple century
Old 19th December 2016, 16:34   #9004
Team-BHP Support

Happy for Karun Nair (unless he does a Rahul @ 299) but looks like we've already conceded a draw. Not sure if that was the way to go.

In other news, what a match - Aus v/s Pak. I love seeing Australia getting beaten but since it was Pakistan on the other side, wasn't sure who I was supporting. But in the end, really wanted Pak to pull of the chase. Alas....
Old 19th December 2016, 16:34   #9005
BHPian

India's highest test score and Karun Nair's triple
Old 19th December 2016, 16:38   #9006
Team-BHP Support

Karun Nair has achieved, in one Innings, what Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly couldn't achieve in their entire careers!

Take a bow, Karun Nair!

With Rahane eyeing a Test slot, and Nair effectively sealing his for the next 5 years, I hope Talent is given the bench for tests going forward.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:39   #9007
Team-BHP Support

Lol, no. Talent will get back his slot as soon as he gets fit. He is a magician that way.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:49   #9008
Senior - BHPian

India should have declared a little earlier to force this game. Nevertheless a good innings by Karun Nair.

Rahane will most certainly be back in the team after all he has been the most consistent test player over all conditions in this team. So how do you keep a triple centurian out of the team.

Problem of plenty, I belive for India. Top 5 select themselves IMO. KL Rahul, Murli Vijay, Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. What remains is one Wicket keeper and 5 bowlers. So where does Karun fit in? Unless they decide to go in with 4 bowlers.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:50   #9009
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Take a bow, Karun Nair!

With Rahane eyeing a Test slot, and Nair effectively sealing his for the next 5 years, I hope Talent is given the bench for tests going forward.
I was really skeptical about Karun Nair, especially in Test cricket but this was a gem and a very tough milestone that not many (Indians) have achieved!
With Rahul, Karun and Rahane we now have good, young batsmen who can score big apart from Virat, Vijay and Pujara. Hope these guys will help build a solid test team for the future.

@suhaas - by that yardstick, Sehwag had another 5 years at least in the team

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2016 at 16:56.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:23   #9010
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I do not know for how much more duration of time Rahane & Rohit will be out due to injury but i really do hope Nair gets some more big scores & makes it more difficult for team management to drop him. Agreed Rahane has been good abroad but in the last few tests that he's played in India he's looked out of sorts.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:30   #9011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
He scored his last triple in 2008. He played his last international in 2013. Five years he did get.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:01   #9012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With Rahul, Karun and Rahane we now have good, young batsmen who can score big apart from Virat, Vijay and Pujara. Hope these guys will help build a solid test team for the future.
Without the assistance of the (new) big three (Kohli, Vijay and Pujara), the Indian team has managed to score their highest ever score in a test match!

Quote:
And he did

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I do not know for how much more duration of time Rahane & Rohit will be out due to injury but i really do hope Nair gets some more big scores & makes it more difficult for team management to drop him. Agreed Rahane has been good abroad but in the last few tests that he's played in India he's looked out of sorts.
Nair's true test will be on foreign soil.

Also, the problem with Nair now, is that he will be expected to perform on every occasion, and the expectations may be lofty or even unreasonable. He will have to produce his A-game every single time and that's not going to be easy at all.
Old 20th December 2016, 15:58   #9013
Team-BHP Support

4-0

England lose 7 wickets in less than a session. Well done India.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:02   #9014
Team-BHP Support

And it's all over! How many times have we witnessed a team scoring 400 in their first innings and then losing by an innings? It's happened twice in this series!

Well played India!
Old 20th December 2016, 16:26   #9015
Senior - BHPian

Tremendous!!

A very unlikely win. Kudos to sir Jadeja. He really turns it on in Indian conditions. I think we are just short of one Good fast bowler to be a really great side.

Most Viewed