Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 15:06   #9031
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Same old Indian Cricket story again.

When will we learn to systematically groom replacements instead of depending on world-class talent dropping out of the sky occasionally?

Accepting Dhoni is irreplaceable like it's a matter of fact is poor form, did BCCI (or any wing of our vast cricketing setup) even try?
Old 5th January 2017, 15:11   #9032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
did BCCI (or any wing of our vast cricketing setup) even try?
With the number of A tours and junior tournaments that India is participating in, and the fact that Dravid was given the coaching / mentoring role; I would say yes - the BCCI is doing much better that it used to do earlier.

Even teams like the mighty Aussies are still looking for a spin replacement, Gilchrist replacement et all. Once in a generation cricketers are hard to replace, even if the support system is top notch.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th January 2017 at 15:13.
Old 5th January 2017, 15:52   #9033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
With the number of A tours and junior tournaments that India is participating in, and the fact that Dravid was given the coaching / mentoring role; I would say yes - the BCCI is doing much better that it used to do earlier.

Even teams like the mighty Aussies are still looking for a spin replacement, Gilchrist replacement et all. Once in a generation cricketers are hard to replace, even if the support system is top notch.
Pleased with Dravid's appointment, but our scouting system needs a complete overhaul. We have a HUGE local cricket setup due to the sheer size of the population, but the end-product just doesn't seem to be there.

Pushing talented but under-prepared youngsters into the senior side and hoping they cope isn't sound strategy. For each youngster that shines, plenty fizzle out before they get a fair shake.

Difficulties in find a like-for-like replacement for a rare talent is understandable, but we seem to struggle with the entire process. Can only hope the current BCCI legal tangle results in proper cricketing minds getting the important sporting posts.
Old 5th January 2017, 15:58   #9034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accepting Dhoni is irreplaceable like it's a matter of fact is poor form, did BCCI (or any wing of our vast cricketing setup) even try?
Dont we have a more than able replacement in Kohli?

Quote:
Pleased with Dravid's appointment, but our scouting system needs a complete overhaul. We have a HUGE local cricket setup due to the sheer size of the population, but the end-product just doesn't seem to be there.
That applies for Indian sports in general, cricket justifiably is the best of with the amount of funding at hand.
Karun Nair will have something to say, about the end product!

We are in better shape than the past for sure, lots more work required though.

Last edited by Hatari : 5th January 2017 at 16:02.
Old 5th January 2017, 16:15   #9035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I guess it was more for the Keeper batsman role than the captain role.

Coming to MSD's decision, I respect his decision, he has stepped down from the captaincy role when nobody is asking him to rather than being removed after a series loss. Also I feel it is better than his test retirement announcement that happened in the midst of a series.

But I feel that all this is part of a bigger strategy of how to move further in his life. And absolutely no wrong in that.
The Indian cricket moved higher under him. After Ganguly left, he has taken the team in the right direction to a different new level altogether.
Now its upto Kohli to to take it northwards which I'm sure he'll do.

As far as the Keeper is concerned, we will get a decent Keeper-Batsman but none as fast and more importantly none as level headed as MSD

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th January 2017 at 16:16.
Old 5th January 2017, 16:19   #9036
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but our scouting system needs a complete overhaul
The IPL has added a significant input to the entire scouting pipeline.

Quote:
Pushing talented but under-prepared youngsters into the senior side and hoping they cope isn't sound strategy.
It needs a keen eye to identify young talent and rush him rather than only hoping for them to do well. That is what I am hoping that Dravid would excel in.

Quote:
Can only hope the current BCCI legal tangle results in proper cricketing minds getting the important sporting posts.
You bet, but I hope that they do not get carried away. As good as ex-cricketers are, there is a bit of politics involved in running a sports association. We need some shrewd minds there as well - Dalmiya, Dungarpur types. What they need is to weed out people like Srini maama and more importantly, prevent proxy representations.

Let's hope for the best.

Edit: Dravid's recommendation, Prithwi Shaw, has scored a match winning second innings ton in the Ranji semi final - his debut. Well done.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th January 2017 at 16:26.
Old 5th January 2017, 16:53   #9037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope they don't turn him into a part-time keeper like Dravid! The guy is arguably the only 'proven' world-class batsman we have right now. Arguably.

Quote:
Karun Nair will have something to say, about the end product
Talented? Obviously, but far too early to declare him a finished end product. I can't help remembering a certain Irfan Pathan. Hyped to the moon after a great U-19 World Cup, rushed into the senior side, experimented on endlessly (to turn him into the next Kapil Dev), then dumped by the wayside in his mid-twenties.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2017 at 16:56.
Old 5th January 2017, 16:56   #9038
Team-BHP Support

Why Pathan lost his pace with the ball is a mystery to me. But in his current shape and form, he does not deserve a place even in the A,B or C team.

Would love to read up on what happened to him, any pointers ?
Old 5th January 2017, 17:09   #9039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why Pathan lost his pace with the ball is a mystery to me. But in his current shape and form, he does not deserve a place even in the A,B or C team.

He's a past-it has-been (very unfortunately), no point digging up that cricketing grave now.

I can't remember where I read/heard it, but there was a profile on him a few years ago where some aspects of the 'transformation' experiment were touched upon.

Apparently, the setup at that time thought he was a ripe candidate to become a star all-rounder, the next Kapil Dev. Don't know the technicalities in detail but his bowling action seemed to be problematic, in the sense it put too much stress on certain parts of his anatomy making him fatigue-prone, hence unreliable as a dependable batsman.

The plan was to tweak his action to make it less stressful physically, so he could focus on batting as well, which he was already pretty decent at.

Things obviously didn't go as planned, and his bowling gradually turned into a liability (he could still swing it, but his pace fell sharply), turning him into more of a 'bits & pieces' Robin Singh kind, instead of the intended Mr. Dev. His strengths ruined, combined with some injuries and other talented players vying for spots, he just fell by the wayside.

That's what concerns me the most, players being sacrificed for short-term or impractical gains, instead of molding their strengths and adapting them to the overall team ethos. Hopefully Dravid can change some of that mindset.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2017 at 17:14.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:24   #9040
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, what I meant. Some fans however read it the other way around.

No wild guesses but based on some whispers from grape vines with roots in Ranchi

Quote:
A. Thats not a bad thing
B. Hope your wild guess turns out to be correct, need more like him involved in cricket.

No other captain has left a legacy as he has. Changed the way cricket is played. Respect where it is due.
Old 10th January 2017, 20:58   #9041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Want to see Kuldeep Yadav but I think Chahal & Jayant may be ahead in the pecking order.
Kuldeep is bowling pretty well in the practice game. Has picked up a five-fer.
Old 12th January 2017, 12:58   #9042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I observed, he lost his swing pace and stuff after Wasim Akram went to work with him.
Old 12th January 2017, 13:01   #9043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
From what I observed, he lost his swing pace and stuff after Wasim Akram went to work with him.
There have been theories around Akram and Greg Chappel spoiling him. Don't know what happened exactly.
Old 13th January 2017, 12:02   #9044
BHPian

New Jersey's of Indian Team for ODI. It is believed that Nike has supplied these with some new improvements such as 4D Quickness and zero distractions and to be adopted by Team India from Jan 15th. Here's the new one.

Image source: Google.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-647_011217023202.jpg  

Old 13th January 2017, 13:14   #9045
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Nike will have to shoot this one again with Virat in the center

Most Viewed