Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2017, 23:21   #9361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

This series is already being referred to as one of the greatest ever in modern times.

Jadeja and Umesh Yadav has now become more established as all-rounder and Fast Bowler. Credit must be given to MSD for having faith in them when everyone was losing patience with them.

To be honest I never expected top quality cricket from younger generation players from any team and happy to be proven wrong whether by IND AUS or by NZ SAF.

P.S. - Taking a catch on rebound is only prerogative of Aussies and if they are denied, they can simply claim it by shouting.
If we are even thinking 0.01% that the catch by Murali Vijay of their No.11 batsman, its because of Aussies who have shown that this could be done many times.
Old 28th March 2017, 06:43   #9362
Senior - BHPian

It is well known that in the marginal cases, it is very hard for the fielder to know if the ball has been grassed or not; the honest/experienced ones know this and are happy to be judged by a replay if that is found to be conclusive.

The problem was caused by Gould taking too long to do the referral, at a time when the fielding side was under time pressure for the innings changeover. Unnecessary controversy was avoided by what happened shortly thereafter.

IMO, Smith is being harshly judged, he is paying the price for intrusive TV coverage when not on the field, at a time of shattering disappointment over what had just happened. In comparison with other Australians of the present and past, he is well behaved. And he is proving to be a brilliant batsman.

On to the last day - and I am looking forward to a day of no more pendulum swings.
Old 28th March 2017, 08:20   #9363
Senior - BHPian

Moving on, I was a little aghast to hear the stump cam mike broadcasts when Jadeja was batting. I believe BCCI has posted these on their website.

I think it would be a good idea to always broadcast these, on TV as well. If the tech is there, like DRS, why not use it? The players are earning what they are because of TV, so they have no legitimate right to complain. The nonsense of "what happens on the field needs to stay on the field" is why more and more nonsense happens on the field. Open it all up, and let the public be the judge of all of that nonsense. It would also be a lot more interesting than the spouting the party line media conferences at the end of the day.

And it may force the ICC to finally clean up the act. For instance, I can see TV channels that air on field stump mike recorded foul language on TV get into trouble with the Government and that backlash will inevitably trickle back to the field with players responsible for the language also getting into legal trouble. Deservedly so, because if they want to get multi crore contracts owing to TV exposure, they can't hide from the exposure when it becomes inconvenient to them. Come to think of it, ICC won't have a role to play; the TV channels will do the needful themselves! Or players, faced with public use of obscenity lawsuits, will then stop its use.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th March 2017 at 10:31. Reason: PM coming up
Old 28th March 2017, 09:21   #9364
Distinguished - BHPian

Best way to cut the the Aussie crap is to beat the hell out of them and make them sob on the field. Good that Umesh Yadav showed fast bowling can be aggressive even with the lips sealed. May be Cummins and Hazlewood learn some of it.
Old 28th March 2017, 09:29   #9365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Best way to cut the the Aussie crap is to beat the hell out of them and make them sob on the field.
It is the only way. It then makes their nonsense and their team look like what they like to call the English - whinging Poms. And the way to get them in that state is be ruthless when they are down. Other teams deserve mercy killing, but not Australia. But, as you said, with lips sealed.

George Bernard Shaw: Never get into a wrestling match with a pig. Both you and the pig will get dirty, but the pig loves being so.
Old 28th March 2017, 10:45   #9366
Team-BHP Support

We are making a mountain out of a molehill with this Smith abuse incident. I am sure there are worse things said on the cricket field than than that abusive comment on Vijay by Smith.

That said, we are almost home. What a series !!

Man of the series = Smith or Jadeja ?

Last edited by Eddy : 29th March 2017 at 23:21. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2017, 11:00   #9367
Distinguished - BHPian

India now have won in all their last series against every Test team. That's a wonderful achievement!
Congratulations to the team who played good cricket all through.
Now for us...gear up for IPL 10!
Old 28th March 2017, 11:22   #9368
Senior - BHPian

How anyone can invest time in mere franchise flag waving after seeing the kind of cricket we have just seen baffles me. But then the only time I watch soccer is during the World/Euro cups, so there is that.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:29   #9369
Team-BHP Support

Thread for IPL Discussion:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...pl-thread.html
Old 28th March 2017, 21:48   #9370
BHPian

Shocking comment by Smith. There is no way he should comment based on the TV replays.

Not long ago Australians used to say that if the fielder claims a catch then go with it. But very clear that they want the rule applicable to themselves! Disgraceful behavior from the Australian captain.
Old 31st March 2017, 20:16   #9371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
So let's see how many will take a break from IPL to recover to be fresh and ready to go for the next international tournament in India colours.
Hope you're happy with all the recent reports of Indian players pulling out of the IPL due to injuries endured during the long season.
Old 1st April 2017, 07:36   #9372
Senior - BHPian

No, I am not happy, for two reasons. One, how come all these players were playing tests in the first place given the much tom tommed statements of how no one that isn't 100% plays in the test team now? And two, this isn't managed rest, these are breakdowns. Now if someone like Umesh Yadav or Jadeja was to take a break to prevent staleness or an injury before the June tournament, that would be the kind of behaviour that means dedication to the national team.

The other hilarious and what feels true to me is this report:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1089269.html

It makes the forgotten point that all the acrimony in the series gone by was just for show and for TRPs. Like Muhammad Ali talking before his fights - that were not fixed - and the WWF antics - where matches are fixed. The great joke is on the fans on both sides who think that these are for real, and start fighting with each other for real on social media! How puerile, gullible and foolish this behaviour while the media houses and players are laughing all the way to the bank.

Why do these things, including way too much cricket happen? Only because of TRPs. Which arise out of availability of enough people that don't have too many other good and valid reasons and opportunities to be part of one tribe and feel happy about it winning, a human craving that is universal.

Last edited by Sawyer : 1st April 2017 at 08:04.
Old 25th May 2017, 23:11   #9373
PPS
Senior - BHPian

BCCI has invited applications for the post of Head Coach for the team! I wonder if Kumble's persistent demand for better pay for the players & himself has got something to do with this!

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/bcci...cement-1703792
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:02   #9374
Senior - BHPian

The Ramchandra Guha resignation letter paints a sorry picture about the state of Indian cricket today. It also portrays the SC appointed COA to be an ineffective bunch of possibly good hearted meddlers, something that has been obvious for some time now.

It will be very entertaining to see what happens as soon as Kohli stops leading the team to wins. I have long felt that the team deserves a better leader.
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:21   #9375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The Ramchandra Guha resignation letter paints a sorry picture about the state of Indian cricket today. It also portrays the SC appointed COA to be an ineffective bunch of possibly good hearted meddlers, something that has been obvious for some time now.

It will be very entertaining to see what happens as soon as Kohli stops leading the team to wins. I have long felt that the team deserves a better leader.
Honestly the BCCI in its former and current Avataar has a lot of resemblance to any grand old institute where more things change more it remains same. The Gavaskars and Shastris of BCCI will continue to rule the roost no matter who's in charge. Many current and former cricketing greats have found a sweet spot for themselves from where they keep extracting their pound of flesh. What is the most inexplicable thing about the entire letter is how come the captain of the indian cricket team have a Veto on the commentary panels! Its none of their business to look into this. I sometimes wonder when will the institutions of this country live upto the most exacting standards which instills confidence in its citizenry.

The SC appointed the panel but the resident brigade of old and not so old stalwarts are still running rings around them. Its like a pantomime honestly. Absurd.

Last edited by abs182 : 2nd June 2017 at 15:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks