Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 16:35   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Smriti Mandhana is a revelation! Big Bash seems to have transformed her, 88 in 68 balls, India 135 for no loss against England at the halfway mark.

Great ball striking. I am impressed.
Old 24th June 2017, 22:28   #9482
Team-BHP Support

England gave us a scare for a minute in the middle, but those run outs came at a good time
Old 25th June 2017, 06:28   #9483
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot of MS Dhoni visible in Mithali Raj. Both in the way she bats and in the calm and unflustered way she leads the team. Lessons to be learnt here by a certain individual.

Very little sledging in the women's game. Another aspect of why many believe that the world would be a much better place if women were in charge.
PS: the first time I have seen the Indian women's team described as "Powerful India" in a headline. Nice. And they looked it, both while batting and fielding where return throws were to be seen. If they would just learn to run better/faster between wickets....

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th June 2017 at 06:43.
Old 25th June 2017, 07:12   #9484
Senior - BHPian

I can't edit the preceding post; time is up.

I have to say though that the gulf between the men and women is too large even now, to that extent that it can get boring to watch the women play at times.

Contrast this to tennis: I find the men to be boring on slow courts like Roland Garros. Women's matches are a lot more interesting. On grass, both are just as good.

Perhaps the pitch length should also be reduced, not just the distance to the boundaries.
Old 25th June 2017, 12:10   #9485
BHPian

^^^Apart from Smriti's power hitting, I too felt that the gulf is currently wide. Many of the spinners were just bowling dibbly dobblies and most of the batters just did not have the strength to hit up and over across the line. Fielding too has some way to go even though a couple of catches were quite good, especially for the last English wicket to fall. However, I felt that a couple of the cricketers could compete with their male counterparts and lack of drama when wickets fell was refreshing. They can only improve.
Old 25th June 2017, 12:19   #9486
Senior - BHPian

A small digression before someone starts a badminton thread: more very good news on that front.

After joining a handful of players that have ever reached three consecutive Super Series finals, Srikanth won his second straight title by beating Chen Long, legendary in no small way. The tournament prior, he beat the Korean world number 1 after beating a fellow Indian in the semifinals.

Also, there were 4 Indians in the quarterfinals of the tournament, 2 men and 2 women. Brilliant!

The sport needs at least as much headlines as when the Indian tennis "legends" get, when they win mixed doubles grand slams that these days are considered to be just one step better than exhibition matches.

And Gopichand can be as tough a coach as Kumble is supposed to have been. And as great a past champion.

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th June 2017 at 12:23.
Old 28th June 2017, 07:59   #9487
Senior - BHPian

One has to hand it to the Chinese. On the one hand they will leverage Pakistan to keep India stressed, and to keep all border issues simmering, because they see India as the one country that comes in the way of their strategic intents in the long term; and if there is one country that thinks/acts really long term, it is China.

On the other, they dominate crucial sectors of our economy in the telephony and the digital payments space. Not to mention Chinese products flooding our consumer markets with products at every price point.

And now, they will also fund IPL, and all of us will be happy to be ignorant of that little fact.

How is it that the lessons of the East India company, that we keep hearing and rightly so from nationalists, are not being applied in this case? Pakistan is just a minor nuisance in comparison.
Old 28th June 2017, 18:52   #9488
Senior - BHPian

They are playing out another farce in coach selection. Shastri didn't want to stand in queue (he wanted the job to be offered without going through the process). Now Tendulkar convinced him to apply since he is also a favoured by Kohli. What kind of a Nautanki are these guys playing ? What would the other contenders feel in this whole disgusting saga ?
Old 28th June 2017, 19:37   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They are playing out another farce in coach selection. Shastri didn't want to stand in queue (he wanted the job to be offered without going through the process). Now Tendulkar convinced him to apply since he is also a favoured by Kohli. What kind of a Nautanki are these guys playing ? What would the other contenders feel in this whole disgusting saga ?
I guess he is miffed when Kumble was chosen over him the last time when he applied. He is right in not applying again. Why can't they elevate Sanjay Bangar? He seem to be doing a grand job as batting coach.
Old 28th June 2017, 20:04   #9490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Why can't they elevate Sanjay Bangar? He seem to be doing a grand job as batting coach.
Not glamorous enough a name to be Head Coach of one of the most influential and money making sporting franchises in the World! How good a job he's doing would be irrelevant in the said scenario!
Old 28th June 2017, 22:49   #9491
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shastri didn't want to stand in queue (he wanted the job to be offered without going through the process).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I guess he is miffed when Kumble was chosen over him the last time when he applied. He is right in not applying again.
Shastri lost out because apparently he was on a holiday in Thailand, and Ganguly was miffed by this as he felt a potential coaching candidate ought to be present in person for the interview. Shastri definitely was miffed & Kumble's elevation as Coach left everyone surprised.
Old 29th June 2017, 00:42   #9492
Team-BHP Support

I hope Shastri makes it. That's the only way to keep him out of the commentary box. And while you are at it, make Sanjay Manjrekar something too.... for the same reason
Old 29th June 2017, 09:45   #9493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I hope Shastri makes it. That's the only way to keep him out of the commentary box. And while you are at it, make Sanjay Manjrekar something too.... for the same reason
Agreed.

And bring back Harsha Bhogle, please!
Old 29th June 2017, 09:55   #9494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The whole saga of captain coach rift was to eliminate Kumble and get back Shastri. I feel Shastri is not good for this job.
Old 29th June 2017, 16:39   #9495
Senior - BHPian

I am not able to get the coverage of the Women's match today against WI; does anyone know where it is to be seen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks