Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 22:46   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I have given up watching cricket. Yet to recover from CT final. And then the Women's WC :-(
Old 29th July 2017, 10:57   #9542
Senior - BHPian

The SL series is predictably boring; I checked out the coverage and I don't think there is enough media interest such that what happens on the field between overs can never be seen!
Old 29th July 2017, 19:08   #9543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The SL series is predictably boring; I checked out the coverage and I don't think there is enough media interest such that what happens on the field between overs can never be seen!
Of the three-test series, I'm willing to bet India will lose one handsomely just to keep the viewership alive.
Old 8th August 2017, 21:09   #9544
Team-BHP Support

India A has won the one day tri series in South Africa. Manish Pandey and the seamers have done well.

Now, I hope that we can do well in the two unofficial tests as well.
Old 14th August 2017, 18:09   #9545
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This Ind-SL has been such a drab series,by far the most boring in the last decade & to make things worse SL are going to return to tour India in the coming months!
The ODI selection probably created more buzz than the entire test series.
Old 14th August 2017, 19:23   #9546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This Ind-SL has been such a drab series,by far the most boring in the last decade & to make things worse SL are going to return to tour India in the coming months!
Yes, it was such a one sided affair. Many of the Sri Lankan team members are quite new and not yet conditioned for high profile international matches.
Old 15th August 2017, 16:36   #9547
Senior - BHPian

Indian cricket fans are strange animals. Are they typical of Indians in general?

There is indignation at a selector comment that MS Dhoni is not an automatic selection; if he performs he will be selected. What is wrong with that statement - do fans expect players to be selected even if they don't perform? Aren't players well remunerated for past performances to not have a claim for automatic selection in future?

A player has a right to decide when to retire, but he isn't entitled to be selected irrespective of performance till then, surely.
Old 25th August 2017, 18:53   #9548
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Hadn't watched any of the India-Sri Lanka matches on this tour till yesterdays match - the second ODI
And it turned out to be a good, well fought match that I watched partially and accidentally!
First checked the score online when India were 115/1 in 15 odd overs and thought it's a one sided game that we will win. About 10 minutes later when I switched on the TV, was shocked to see the score as 130/6 and soon Axar was out making it seven down chasing 231 so it looked like India will lose. Somehow, continued watching and they ended up winning with great application from Dhoni and a good knock from Bhuvi as well. Needless to say, the openers scoring 100+ quickly helped the team win as it gave a lot of liberty to play slowly and recover from a tough situation.
Made my day! Felt sorry for Akila Dananjaya who bowled so well to get 6 wickets and put India on the mat and still went on to lose the game.
It's matches like these that can keep the interest in ODI.

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2017 at 18:58.
Old 29th August 2017, 22:26   #9549
Distinguished - BHPian

Watching the WI and Eng test match.
Series 1-0 in England's favour
Last 1 hour on the 5th day
15 overs, WI need 47 runs to win the match with 6 wickets remaining with a man on 99* (100 in his first innings too)
Amazing contest...this is how a test match should be
Old 30th August 2017, 06:09   #9550
Senior - BHPian

Always awesome to see the WI or NZ punch way above their weight. tremendous effort to bounce back from such a hiding in the previous test
I hope they use this as a launch board to revive cricket in the region. There has also been a positive change in the administration
Old 30th August 2017, 06:32   #9551
Senior - BHPian

It is good to see not even one criticism of the overnight Root declaration.

For a team of "kids", commendably cool heads under a lot of pressure. Good win for cricket, but the WI problem also has been consistency, so the rest of the series is a test of that.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:34   #9552
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was quite surprised at the declaration on day 4 at that stage (maybe needed another 50 runs or so to be safer), but then it was a sporting one and they probably fancied their chances of getting 10 wickets in the 4th innings, anything 300 or more was always not going to be easy.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:07   #9553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I was quite surprised at the declaration on day 4 at that stage (maybe needed another 50 runs or so to be safer), but then it was a sporting one and they probably fancied their chances of getting 10 wickets in the 4th innings, anything 300 or more was always not going to be easy.
For me declaration was more of an overconfident approach. Thinking, it's only windies and they can't chase 300 against us on a last day wicket. Don't see Root repeating this again now. This match also showed how ineffective english bowlers are if the ball stops swinging.

Also, a huge slap on the faces of people like Vaughan and Atherton who claimed WI as second rate and not fit for test cricket anymore. Great win indeed.

And, a small slap to the people who claimed India's no.1 isn't deserving cos they defeat teams like WI.
Old 30th August 2017, 12:44   #9554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Always awesome to see the WI or NZ punch way above their weight.
NZ is way superior team and can't be compared to WI. That incredible fightback by Baz and BJ Watling 3 years back cannot be forgotten.

Quote:
That's how test declarations should be. You have to lure the opposition to think they can win the match, that's how you'll get the wickets.

Australia did this successfully in the Adelaide test setting up India with a 362 target. This was the one where Kohli was a stand-in captain and got a century+ in the 2nd innings and nearly got us close.

This is no invincible WI who made England pay for their declaration in emphatic fashion in the Lords Test of the 1984 'Blackwash' series. That said 322 in 90 overs is no mean task, especially for a team that's struggling both on and off field.
Old 30th August 2017, 13:05   #9555
BHPian

Meanwhile BD have beaten Aussies by 20 runs. First win in tests against Aussies for them.
Shakib bagging 10 wickets in the match.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 30th August 2017 at 13:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks