Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2018, 00:02   #9946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I saw Rahane bat yesterday. And I realise that India was only one wrong selection away from winning this series. I accept this statement is underplaying other massive contributions in this series and also might appear to be a case of being too smart on the hindsight. But I am a strong believer of horses for the courses. So much that I would almost go to the extent of saying that an out of form Rahane is better bet than an in form Rohit in these kind of tracks.
Rahane' s exclusion from first two matches and Bhuvi's exclusion from the second match, I think these two cost us the series. Again a case of intellect in hindsight. But I think the team is settled now for test matches.

Get one more batsman in place of Pandya and it will be a formidable team in such pitches. If the pitch is slightly flat or favouring spinners, get in Ashwin instead of the sixth batsman. This combination will do India good stead in future away tours.

Pandys is way too overrated to be playing a test match.
Old 28th January 2018, 00:20   #9947
PPS
Senior - BHPian

No doubt a memorable win but i hope we don't forget the larger picture which is that we have lost the series! Our batsman really need to show better application. We have got to go back to the 6 batsman theory. We have a good fast bowling arsenal now, we have to keep them fit & fresh which is going to be difficult considering they will be going to England just after a tiring IPL.

Shami was the highest wicket taker of the series but about 80% of his wickets came in the 2nd innings! He is a much better bowler to be able to wake up only in the 3rd or 4th innings of the game.

The ODI series should also be quite interesting. Perhaps Kohli may only go in with 1 wrist spinner depending on the pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Nothing a good coach can't fix, maybe hire Jonty for outfielding and get Dravid for some slip-catching lessons?
Its after a very long time have i seen our fielding being so woeful. If this continues, perhaps we should look at changing our fielding coach.
Old 29th January 2018, 16:07   #9948
Senior - BHPian

The best summary I have read on the series:

Source

" You hope India will realise how close they could have come to winning in South Africa had they prepared and selected better. You hope they won't be happy with: "we whitewashed you, but you couldn't". The aim must be higher.

“India have everything they need to dominate world cricket: richest board, best-paid cricketers, largest human-resource base to choose from, best training facilities, and endless financial and fanatical support. To compete everywhere should be an expectation, not an exception.

“Though the euphoria of Johannesburg is well deserved, India should no longer be satisfied with winning a Test overseas. India need to have the ambition to see this series as one of missed opportunities so that they don't miss them again."

Last edited by noopster : 29th January 2018 at 16:38. Reason: Added source
Old 29th January 2018, 20:26   #9949
Senior - BHPian

7-10 days more in South Africa, selecting Rahane and Bhuvi for all the matches and I believe we could have won the series.

Shame. But a well fought victory in the 3rd test and HOPEFULLY a lesson for the future to arrive early in the country with a couple of practice matches.
Old 29th January 2018, 20:43   #9950
Senior - BHPian

Acclimatizing was the problem. The way they were able to play on a difficult pitch clearly showed that they were getting used to it a bit late.
Hardik is good for limited overs, we have good fast bowlers now for these kind of surfaces and have a good batsman in his place. He is not really a all rounder in test context
Old 30th January 2018, 09:50   #9951
BHPian

The India Under-19 cricket team looks pretty formidable. Pretty much brushed Pakistan away without even breaking a sweat. A lot of good talent coming through. Working with Dravid will give them a good mindset on hard work and discipline. The future looks bright.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:18   #9952
Senior - BHPian

The Dravid oversight is also visible in a more gentlemanly like approach to the game, that is very welcome and refreshing. The margin of victory is what matters, not jumping up and down and getting into the faces of opponents. Actions with bat and ball should be all that is needed to show intent.
Old 30th January 2018, 12:07   #9953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
Working with Dravid will give them a good mindset on hard work and discipline. The future looks bright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The Dravid oversight is also visible in a more gentlemanly like approach to the game, that is very welcome and refreshing. The margin of victory is what matters, not jumping up and down and getting into the faces of opponents. Actions with bat and ball should be all that is needed to show intent.
Rahul Dravid as coach for U19 team is the best thing that has happened for the future generation of Indian cricket. Most humble yet most aggressive in that he never gives up fighting. I read somewhere in one of his interviews where he said that for him, being aggressive is not being verbal, but not buckling under pressure and giving up your wicket as a batsmen. A real gentleman of the game respected by every opponent he has played.
Old 30th January 2018, 12:14   #9954
Team-BHP Support

Whenever I need to quote an example of an extremely competitive, never give up, aggressive mindset co-existing with a humble demeanor, Dravid is the top of my mind. There isn't a better role model for young sportspeople, and I hope his young charges pick up those traits.

Cricket to me is still a gentleman's game, and no amount of uncouth behavior is going to convince me otherwise.
Old 30th January 2018, 12:20   #9955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I read somewhere in one of his interviews where he said that for him, being aggressive is not being verbal, but not buckling under pressure and giving up your wicket as a batsmen. A real gentleman of the game respected by every opponent he has played.
I think he also expressed his concern that many kids are picking up traits from the aggression shown by Kohli. What works for Kohli may not actually work for other players.
In fact, I feel that the aggression has backfired on him during the previous test tour of Australia. He did his darnedest best to fight back but ended up giving way more chances to the Australian team in that innings. This is almost like road rage, where it impacts not only him but other people within his own team. perhaps a bit like how Kumble used to react when someone misfielded off his bowling.
Old 30th January 2018, 12:43   #9956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think he also expressed his concern that many kids are picking up traits from the aggression shown by Kohli. What works for Kohli may not actually work for other players....
I'm far from a fan of uncouth behavior, but Kohli is among a few who, when it comes to it, have the go to match the show. Still no excuse to behave like he does often, but that isn't the only tool in his kit.

The problem is when people whose talents are mediocre at best, start believing they can dig themselves out of a tough spot with belligerence alone. Won't name names but plenty of examples in Indian cricket today.

The worst bit is normalising this behavior for kids, it's happening fast, and I'm not sure Kohli understands the enormity of the 'role model' expectation on his shoulders, even if he doesn't want it. Comes with the territory.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th January 2018 at 12:45.
Old 30th January 2018, 14:55   #9957
BHPian

Kohli is not aggressive all of a sudden. That's him since under 16 days; since junior Delhi cricket days and clearly it has worked for him and the teams he captained in the past. If India remain a top 3 side in all formats under his captaincy then job well done, behavior and all.
Old 30th January 2018, 15:06   #9958
Senior - BHPian

I welcome extra aggression against England, Australia, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Ok to be gentlemen against the others
Old 30th January 2018, 17:13   #9959
BHPian

The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Whenever I need to quote an example of an extremely competitive, never give up, aggressive mindset co-existing with a humble demeanor, Dravid is the top of my mind. There isn't a better role model for young sportspeople, and I hope his young charges pick up those traits.

I remember when I was in Perth for a month of Internship with an Australian Law Firm during my Law School days in 2006, any informal discussion about Cricket with the Australians would end up with lot of respect for Dravid and Tendulkar. They admired these two cricketers like crazy and emphasised on their spirit and temperament for the game as true Gentlemen and Ambassadors. I really felt proud about it. Their dedication, discipline and commitment is what has earned them the respect that they command.
Old 30th January 2018, 17:24   #9960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
Kohli is not aggressive all of a sudden. That's him since under 16 days; since junior Delhi cricket days and clearly it has worked for him and the teams he captained in the past. If India remain a top 3 side in all formats under his captaincy then job well done, behavior and all.
Aggression has helped Kohli personally. The current ascent to No 1 started with Ganguly winning tests abroad, continued under Dhoni's captaincy. Kohli is carrying forward the same legacy. The presence of great players in last 15 years has helped India. The decline of test playing caliber of countries like West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa also has helped.
Kohli had little role to play as captain in India being no 1 in tests. During the same time, Kohli has been captain for ODI, T20 & RCB in IPL. His personality hasn't helped these teams at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks