Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 16:37   #11731
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Hi Folks,

After the recently concluded Cricket World Cup, my brother penned (or rather typed) down his thoughts on his blog.

Link:

https://vkaustubh.github.io/blog/gen...r-cricket.html

What are your thoughts BHPians?

Quote:
First off, I am not a huge fan of the game. I simply cannot recollect the last time I watched a game of Cricket end to end, ball by ball. Even the World Cup finals of 2011 which India won, I did not see from the start. But I must confess I saw the last several overs and I also shouted and paraded with my relatively enthusiastic colleagues when the final six was hit, which led to India winning the world cup after a hiatus of 28 years. But I have been thinking lately using the impressions I have gathered based on the little Cricket I do see and the conversations I have had with people around me. I have a wishlist of change of rules and patterns for One Day International format. I would love to hear what you think about it.

Splitting The Innings
Especially in this World Cup which had a nightmare conclusion, I kept noticing how commentators kept emphasizing the importance of winning the toss. Fifty overs is a very long time and thus it makes sense that the conditions which prevail during the first 50 overs and the second set of 50 overs are likely to be substantially different, giving either the edge to the side that bats first or the side that bowls first. But I feel that if the toss can play a role enough to compensate for lack of skill or consistency, then the game does not have fair rules.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2019 at 10:04. Reason: Adding excerpt :)
Old 21st July 2019, 00:01   #11732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Just my thoughts:
Quote:
Splitting The Innings
Cricket is probably the only game which is played with 3 different rules and caters to different audience tastes. Splitting the innings could be the 4th form to go with Tests, ODI & T20. Can it be called ODT (One-day tests)? I am not optimistic about this form seeing the light.
Quote:
Awarding Bowlers and Fielders More
Negative runs is a novel idea and again it is highly unlikely to be tried out in current formats of Tests, ODIs or T20s. It can be tried with ODTs.
Possibly can work like this: Team's score will start with 300 runs. For every dot ball, a run is deducted. Rest of the scoring remains the same. This way a dot ball is rewarded to the fielding team.
If a team makes 250 in 50 overs with 100 dot balls, the effective score would be 300 - 100 + 250 = 450 and 451 would be the target for the 2nd team.
Quote:
For Important Tournaments
The proposal is to try best of 3 games for finals. Such a thing was tried in few tri-series in Australia. But still a single day final is good enough and with one or more super overs to decide in case of a tie.
Old 21st July 2019, 03:30   #11733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
What are your thoughts BHPians?
Here are my 2 cents:
1. Splitting the innings: Interesting idea, but it might never work as Cricket is a game of skill to cope with varying conditions. I consider myself a purist and I think both teams get a fair share of good and bad conditions in Test cricket. I don't see a possibility of this happening in one-days as conditions don't vary too much. Also, you always have good weather forecast data for ODIs.

2. Awarding the fielding side: I agree here that they need to be respected a bit more, but let us not complicate things too much. Batsmen are meant to score and the fielding side is meant to dismiss them. Here's what I'd do if I were part of the ICC:

2a. Make batsmen take more risk by changing the powerplay rules-
+Overs 1-10: 2 fielders out of the 30 yard circle
+Overs 11-20: 3 fielders out of the 30 yard circle
+Overs 21 onwards: up to 6 fielders outside the 30 yard circle

2b. Limit bat thickness- batsmen have got advantage with bigger bats which are lighter. Bowlers have no such technological advancement in ball making.

3. I completely disagree here. The league stage is meant for you to be consistent and show your ability. The final should always be one game. Don't expect second chances in any kind of knock-out.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st July 2019 at 03:33.
Old 24th July 2019, 18:37   #11734
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like England are going to take some time to get used to playing Test cricket again. Ireland bundled them out for 85 at Lord's!
Old 24th July 2019, 19:32   #11735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Looks like England are going to take some time to get used to playing Test cricket again. Ireland bundled them out for 85 at Lord's!
Thought you must be kidding so had to confirm on cricbuzz. What a disaster of a scorecard

Ireland 39/1. They taking a lead in a test against England
at Lords will be huge for their cricket world.
Old 25th July 2019, 11:08   #11736
Senior - BHPian

If Ireland can wreak havoc as they did in the first innings, the Ashes are going down under.
Old 25th July 2019, 11:33   #11737
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I know its only Ireland , but England were crowned 'World Champions' in ODI Cricket. They are no. 4 in the ICC Test Match Rankings (for whatever its worth) ! I guess they haven't fully recovered from their WC triumph.
Old 25th July 2019, 11:53   #11738
BHPian

This Lord's pitch is the greenest track seen in a while. Ireland has a decent first-innings lead now. hope they don't mess it up now.
Old 26th July 2019, 15:47   #11739
Distinguished - BHPian

182 to win for Ireland's first test victory. That too against England and at Lord's . I so, so hope they do it! This is what makes sport worth watching.
Old 26th July 2019, 18:00   #11740
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn, the Irish are not even gonna get close looks like. Great pity.
Old 26th July 2019, 18:46   #11741
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Ireland all out for 38 runs

England managed to win this Test despite their pathetic first inning score of 85!
Old 26th July 2019, 22:56   #11742
Senior - BHPian

I was never expecting the Irish to win considering their inexperience. I'd not be too surprised if the got dismissed for 100-120. This innings was totally spineless. Hope I'm not too critical on a new test team.

In Asia- Malinga has played his final ODI. Hats off to the legend.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:26   #11743
BHPian

There are so few chances for associate nations to play against the big teams. How will they ever improve? And then ICC reduces the number of teams in the World Cup as well.

The game should be expanding rather than taking an elitist attitude.

If Ireland have the chance to play frequently and go on tours I am sure they will be a very good side soon - maybe in 5 years' time
Old 31st July 2019, 15:14   #11744
Team-BHP Support

It is Ashes time guys. What are your predictions ?

Australia is heavily reliant on Smith and Warner while England has no proper test match batter other than Root. Australian attack looks better.

So I am backing Australia to win this time. 3-1 is my call.
Old 31st July 2019, 15:23   #11745
Distinguished - BHPian

Australia have more better test batsmen but England playing at home will play well even though they don't have a perfect test team. I predict a 2-2 series draw.
It being the first match of the WTC, it'll add a little more importance to the series.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 31st July 2019 at 15:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks