Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 19:55   #13171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

And victory by 10 wickets, but this was a boring match. Where in the players have lacked application, no pitch should turn turtle from day one. That said India just made 50 runs in 4th innings without losing a wicket. England I think gave up too early, and had lost it in the minds after they lost two wickets in first over, both wickets coming to atrocious application from batsman.

England is out of race for WTC now, India needs to win or draw next one to qualify, let's see how pitch acts during day time with red ball.

Last edited by AtheK : 25th February 2021 at 19:58.
Old 25th February 2021, 20:40   #13172
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Do you guys enjoy this type or test matches? I dont. There does not seem to be a contest. Has the ability of playing spin gone down so drastically? We are 1.5 days into a test match and already 25 wickets have fallen.
Quality of batting in tests is at an all time low now across all teams. Most of them are also very unpredictable and inconsistent like we've seen recently with Australia, India and England as well.

Kohli rightly said that though the result went our way, the quality of batting by both sides was bad, India bowled better and managed to win this game.

Maybe time for a batting academy to just focus on practice against spin on turning tracks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
England is out of race for WTC now, India needs to win or draw next one to qualify, let's see how pitch acts during day time with red ball.
But if England do win the last test, India will be out of the test championship and Australia will play New Zealand.

Last edited by NPV : 25th February 2021 at 20:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:08   #13173
Senior - BHPian

The Cricket Thread

Not sure about how iCC reads pitches. If found bad,we could be docked points. This is something we need to consider for the World Test Championship.

Though I personally think it was bad batting and most wickets were from arm/ straight balls.

Loss of some serious revenue for Star Sports.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 25th February 2021 at 21:11.
Old 25th February 2021, 22:25   #13174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
...If found bad,we could be docked points. This is something we need to consider for the World Test Championship...
ICC WTC no longer considers points for the finalists. Even if we were docked 3 points (which is the maximum), India are 70 points ahead of the 2nd team.

That said, I didn't see any demons except in the batsmen's minds. The pitch was OK.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:08   #13175
Senior - BHPian

received on Whats app

Third Test schedule and itinerary drawn up by BCCI:

Day 1: Cricket
Day 2: Cricket
Day 3: Day long visit to Adani port; Dinner reception
Day 4: Day long visit to Reliance refinery; Dinner reception
Day 5: Day long tour of city; visit to the Gir sanctuary.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:28   #13176
BHPian

Ok we won, on what I consider as yet another bad pitch, after first 2 of this series (just my thought, don't have to agree with me ).

Don't be shocked if the pitches in England will resemble very close to the green outfield when we go there for 5-tests series + 1 potential WTC final this Aug & June
Old 25th February 2021, 23:36   #13177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Do you guys enjoy this type or test matches?
NO. The pitch should offer a good balance between bat & ball.

Everybody loses:
1. TV & BCCI loses advertisement & ticket revenue
2. Fans don't get to see 3 days of cricket
3. Ground staff get a bad name

I think the game would have been much closer if England had 2 front-line spinners. Batsmen these days are unable to play quality spin, but this pitch offered Day 4 & Day 5 turn on Day 1.

Ideally, I'd like Days 1-4 to have good batting conditions with assistance for swing bowlers. The pitch should gradually wear out to bring spinners and reverse swing into the game through day 3, 4, and 5. The first two pitches were pretty good, India failed to apply themselves in the first game.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th February 2021 at 23:37.
Old 26th February 2021, 10:18   #13178
Senior - BHPian

I’ve been thinking since yesterday. The batsmen of the past, say Gavaskar, Vishwanath, Gaikwad, Vengsarkar, Border, Greenidge, Gooch, Gatting, Gower, Haynes, Hayden, Zaheer Abbas, Dean Jones, John Wright and many of those from the past had the art of sticking around and then, punishing the bowlers. It’s not that the pitches those days were any different in India, but the mindset of the batsmen was different. I rarely saw anyone trying to Hit out or Sweep out of situations. And it’s also not that our spin bowlers were sub-par those days. We probably had the best spin attack back then.

So, my hypothesis is that the skills of batsmen to cope with Spin and on turning tracks had taken a plummeting dive. This isn’t just for the visiting teams, but even for our own squad. It’s sad though.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 10:51   #13179
Senior - BHPian

*BCCI advisory to close in fielders_

They're advised to wear masks strictly, not as a tool to fight covid but to protect them from dust pollution. Batsmen can wear them too.

Meanwhile, English team has requested if the fourth test can be hosted on matting wicket

*Self made troll

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th February 2021 at 11:20.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 11:25   #13180
Senior - BHPian

I would rather be on the losing side in a well fought and closely contested test match that stretches for at least four days than win in an extended 20-20 bout like yesterday's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Don't be shocked if the pitches in England will resemble very close to the green outfield when we go there for 5-tests series + 1 potential WTC final this Aug & June
Whether the pitch really held a demon is best answered by experts, but assuming that it did, trollers are already predicting this for the English series .

Picture Source: A friend's WhatsApp status
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-img_20210226_111218.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 11:35   #13181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I would rather be on the losing side in a well fought and closely contested test match that stretches for at least four days than win in an extended 20-20 bout like yesterday's.
That's exactly my thought .

That India-Aus test series was so absorbing, even the Adelaide test we lost, and here we see these kind of pitches that turn from day one with puff of dust coming off in on a fresh pitch
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:14   #13182
BHPian

Even if the ECB are to prepare a green top in England, their batting lineup is likely to suffer as much grief as ours, Shami and Bumrah can inflict as much damage as Anderson and co. Bad batting technique is not restricted to the inability of countering spin, but also smothering swing.

The fact that most batsmen nowadays lack technical grounding to grit it out in tough conditions is well known, but there is no doubt that this pitch is not fit to be termed a 'quality' one for test cricket. The term 'dust bowl' in this case was quite literally taken.

If it had been otherwise, there were men like Kohli, Root, Pujara, Rahane and Rohit. None looked like getting a big one. Rohit and Crawley did get fifties though but opening the batting.
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:21   #13183
BHPian

I felt for the English team, for the crater that was created at bowling crease. But the process of hiring groundsmen and their support staff is so bureaucratic and state-fragmented, don't think we'll see this problem go away anytime soon. BCCI with all their might and bank balance has never shown any intent to solve it.
Old 26th February 2021, 12:52   #13184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

A friend's WhatsApp status
Should get Vijay Amritraj as Batting coach

Sigh, well a victory is a victory and the teams have got some deserved rest days.

Hope the next battle is of good mettle.

Kudos to the bowlers.
Old 26th February 2021, 13:09   #13185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I felt for the English team, for the crater that was created at bowling crease. But the process of hiring groundsmen and their support staff is so bureaucratic and state-fragmented, don't think we'll see this problem go away anytime soon. BCCI with all their might and bank balance has never shown any intent to solve it.
Not that they can't solve it, it's just that they won't. Home team captain & coach will come into picture here, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Even if the ECB are to prepare a green top in England, their batting lineup is likely to suffer as much grief as ours, Shami and Bumrah can inflict as much damage as Anderson and co.
True, but English batsmen would be slightly better than most of us in countering swing & bounce. It's a matter of 'better among the worse' case.
My guess is Indians can handle bounce better than swing. And English conditions, especially in early summer, are more about swing than bounce, which can expose our batsmen.
Remember how the pitches were in NZ when we lost to them since 2002 (perhaps with the exception of 2009 tour).

Don't be surprised if some of the batsmen who did/doing so well in this home test series average in single digit at the end of the series in England.

Most Viewed