Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:19   #13291
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

First ODI, India Vs England - interesting changes for India with Krunal, Prasidh Krishna, Kuldeep and Rahul playing today

I think it's a great opportunity for Rahul to first cement his place in the ODI team with his additional wicketkeeping responsibility.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:29   #13292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
First ODI, India Vs England - interesting changes for India with Krunal, Prasidh Krishna, Kuldeep and Rahul playing today

I think it's a great opportunity for Rahul to first cement his place in the ODI team with his additional wicketkeeping responsibility.
Dropping Pant is... bold.. (or stupid?) considering the form he is in.
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:51   #13293
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I'm sure you know this already - form is temporary while class is permanent. Pant has class, so no harm if he misses out on a match or two.
Given the situation we're in, it's not bad to experiment with some of these options, I know it seems harsh on Pant though, but especially since he's part of the younger brigade he will get opportunities.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd March 2021 at 13:54.
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:55   #13294
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazes me no end seeing how Dhawan consistently gets form and luck to work in his favour at crucial times to seal his spot for the next few matches

80+ not out with 2 lives, mostly will get to his hundred too

*Meanwhile, luck isn't with Kohli and he's just out caught on the boundary by Moeen!

Last edited by NPV : 23rd March 2021 at 16:03.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:14   #13295
Team-BHP Support

England are bossing the chase. Playing just like the world champions that they are.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:49   #13296
Senior - BHPian

England probably forgot its an One Dayer. Already chased down half the total in just 20 overs

Am not worried much even if we loose as 1st game loss has become good omen for Indian team since last few series'
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:19   #13297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
England are bossing the chase. Playing just like the world champions that they are.
Looks like they are faltering now
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:34   #13298
BHPian

Quote:
Amazes me no end seeing how Dhawan consistently gets form and luck to work in his favour at crucial times to seal his spot for the next few matches

*Meanwhile, luck isn't with Kohli and he's just out caught on the boundary by Moeen!
So you were the one who jinxed him

True, he plays such knocks when he is on the brink to be not picked again. Now with Rohit injured, we should have another Debut with P Shaw.
Actually, the way debutants perform, we should have one debut per match
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:38   #13299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
He wasn't dropped. He wasn't in team to begin with. Please remember in ODI Rahul has been the designated keeper for sometime and his record at no.5 is brilliant. So, he was an automatic pick. Pant's time will come.

Quote:

Dhawan played well. Yes, initially he played for his spot but later on he was in very good form. Although I still don't see him playing 2023 world cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
They forgot how to pace the chase in different situations. India did better in playing according to situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
So you were the one who jinxed him

True, he plays such knocks when he is on the brink to be not picked again. Now with Rohit injured, we should have another Debut with P Shaw.
Actually, the way debutants perform, we should have one debut per match
Don't see Shaw playing as he isn't in squad. Rohit might recover and if not Gill will open in his place. Although I don't rate Gill as a better white ball player than Shaw but then selectors and team management have different views. SKY/Pant might replace Iyer who is injured too. We have seriously good bench strength now.

Coming to the match England forgot how to pace this innings.. they all were in T20 mode and no one showed patience to see it through. They badly need someone like Root to anchor the innings.

Krunal had an impressive innings with bat and was decent with ball.

Prasidh redemption arc in the same match will be talk of town. 4 wickets on debut is a record for an Indian bowler. Kudos.

Gabbar and Rahul back in runs. Kohli again looking sublime. National treasure Bhuvi back to his best in last 2 games. Thakur providing crucial wickets in middle as usual. So many positives. Lovely game overall for us.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:55   #13300
BHPian

I believe Prasidh Krishna deserved the man of the match award. Although he went for plenty in his first spell, his crucial blows later brought India back in the game. I never understand, in cricket why are bowlers sidelined mostly as far as man of the match awards are concerned. 4 wickets in an ODI is no lesser feat than a batsman scoring a 100!
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 08:19   #13301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I never understand, in cricket why are bowlers sidelined mostly as far as man of the match awards are concerned. 4 wickets in an ODI is no lesser feat than a batsman scoring a 100!
Well, to win a test match you need to take all 20 wickets. So bowlers matter in a test match. However, there is no such requirement for a One Day match. You do not have to bowl out the opposition to win the game. You may win a match even without taking a single wicket simply by having outscored the opposition. I think probably that's why batsmen have an edge in One dayers and T20s. They can win you games single handedly.

Here probably Dhawan got the award as he stuck around during a difficult phase of the play and neutralized the English attack. That probably helped Krunal and Rahul to launch an effective attack later. I think it was an important inning from him.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:25   #13302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I believe Prasidh Krishna deserved the man of the match award.
I think 1 wicket is worth around 20 runs. If Prasidh Krishna had one more wicket, he would have got MoM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Here probably Dhawan got the award as he stuck around during a difficult phase of the play and neutralized the English attack.
The end result doesn't convey that Dhawan survived a close LBW call and two dropped catches. In fact, he got out at a crucial stage. It was Rahul & Krunal's partnership that gave the edge to India.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:20   #13303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well, to win a test match you need to take all 20 wickets. So bowlers matter in a test match. However, there is no such requirement for a One Day match. You do not have to bowl out the opposition to win the game. You may win a match even without taking a single wicket simply by having outscored the opposition. I think probably that's why batsmen have an edge in One dayers and T20s. They can win you games single handedly.
Yes, you are right. You need to take 20 wickets to win a test match generally, if not always. Cricket is a batsman's game no matter the format. Even in test matches, bowlers are generally not awarded the same as batsmen are. A 6 or 7 wicket match haul from a bowler is rarely awarded, but a 100 in one of the two innings from a batsman is mostly awarded. I am not talking about just the number of the wickets taken or the runs scored by a player, it's the impact on the match result that matters. Like yesterday's high scoring match on a batting beauty, where quite a few batsmen made merry, Krishna's spell changed the course of the match. Even Bhuvi's performance had a say in the match big time.

In an ODI or a T20 match, even a wicketless spell of 2-3 overs sometimes turn the matches upside down. Especially in a high scoring match on a flat deck, even a 2 or a 3 wicket haul(top order wickets) with a economic rate of 7 or 6 RPO, is more significant than an eighty or a hundred in an ODI or a T20 respectively IMO. But we rarely witness such bowling performances awarded. That was my point of view.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:23   #13304
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the rules should be changed a bit to award both, instead of man of the match they should have batsman of the match and bowler of the match, hence both sides go out happy and deserving. Prize money can either be shared or as in case of India, we have enough sponsors to dole out money anyway.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:33   #13305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I think 1 wicket is worth around 20 runs.
This thumb rule seems more applicable to test matches IMO. In a limited overs match, 1 wicket is probably worth more.

Most Viewed