Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:12   #13531
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Sunil Gavaskar needs to move on with the times. Yes an international cap should be earned but that shouldn’t mean performances in the newer A-tours or IPL or something similar shouldn’t be considered for selection in ODIs.
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:21   #13532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Don't think Manish Pandey will get anymore chances in the ODI format.
Agreed. BCCI has to move past Kedar Jadhav and Manish Pandey.

Shreyas Iyer, Ishan Kishan, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant, and Suryakumar Yadav should be the prime focus for the middle order going forward.

Although I'd like to see Rahul open.
Old 24th July 2021, 10:24   #13533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I get the feeling Rahul is going the Irfan Pathan way. Get him to open in Tests, then ODIs, then push him to no. 4, then try this or that with him. His lack of form otherwise isn't helping.
Old 24th July 2021, 12:30   #13534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

R Sharma
P Shaw
V Kohli
S Iyer
S K Yadav
S Samson (w)
H Pandya
R Jadeja
M Siraj
J Bhumrah
C Sakaria

Head Coach: R Dravid.

PS: We still need a good back up for H Pandya & R Jadeja. A genuine all rounder like J Kallis.
Why will Dravid be Head coach? What has Shastri done wrong? People need to get over with Dravid obsession as he has time and again specifically mentioned he won't be taking a full time coach job. Although as and when Shastri gives up we all would love to see Dravid doing it but then it's his decision.

Also on what basis Samson will be WK over Rishabh Pant? Sakaria won't get a game in Main team. There are people like Thakur, Deepak chahar, Shami etc way above him in pecking order.

Quote:
Don't think Manish Pandey will get anymore chances in the ODI format. Perhaps we've seen the last of him. Nice of the team management to hand out caps to the 5 debutants, but I felt they overdid a bit. This apparently is the last ODI India plays in this calendar year!
Manish is a curious case. He is phenomenal in doemstic odi cricket but when it comes to international he just forgets how to pace his innings. He is a brilliant fielder and I would like him to stay in contention. Also, if they were handing debut caps like candies why not Devdutt in place of Shaw or Dhawan, we could have seen what he can do in odi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Sunil Gavaskar needs to move on with the times. Yes an international cap should be earned but that shouldn’t mean performances in the newer A-tours or IPL or something similar shouldn’t be considered for selection in ODIs.
Can't blame Sunny G. Legends are usually set in their ways and infact Sunny G still makes an effort to stay up with modern times. If you listen to English or Aussie legends and their stuck up ways you will be really amused. Personally I feel this tour was a perfect way to judge potential of new players, especially when we had already won the series in first 2 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Agreed. BCCI has to move past Kedar Jadhav and Manish Pandey.

Shreyas Iyer, Ishan Kishan, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant, and Suryakumar Yadav should be the prime focus for the middle order going forward.

Kedar is history. Manish will still stay relevant as he performs decently for his IPL franchise so will keep making comebacks. Totally agree with the names you have mentioned. I will pick SKY above Iyer and Ishan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I get the feeling Rahul is going the Irfan Pathan way. Get him to open in Tests, then ODIs, then push him to no. 4, then try this or that with him. His lack of form otherwise isn't helping.
Rahul is a genuine white ball opener. He should always open in that. But he is not a good test opener or even a good middle order bat in tests abroad. We should stop the test obsession and let him play freely in white ball. Just like Johnny Bairstow who is a killer in white ball and forgets how to hold a bat in tests. Look at our Yuvi, great white ball player but couldn't crack the tests. Not every player can excel in all formats. Selectors are unnecessarily messing with his game.

On a side note I am terribly disappointed with Shaw. 30s and 40s aren't helping his game. He should have learned from Rohit and Dhawan cos when they get a start they make centuries. Also his fielding is absolutely rubbish and if he won't improve his fitness standard I see him getting dropped sooner than later. He needs to remember there is too much competition in main team and make extra efforts.

Last edited by harry10 : 24th July 2021 at 12:35.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 18:07   #13535
BHPian

Sunil Gavaskar has spoken the roght thing. In the article below he questions the focus of BCCI on one individual (surely targeted on H Pandya) for the all rounders position. He is true, in the last 2 to 3 years the coach, selection team and captain has put a lot of focus on H Pandya alone. Now the focus is on he not able to deliver even post getting good opportunities.

BCCI should start looking for a good all rounder and not just keep expecting H Pandya to be in form always. And his sincerity is questionable too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.men...laying-xi.html

Last edited by VWAllstar : 25th July 2021 at 18:09.
Old 25th July 2021, 18:59   #13536
One
BHPian

I thought the individual players in entire team lost out on a golden chance to really knock the door.

SKY is probably closest to playing in middle order but he missed big-time (saying he was the highest scorer in the series is one of those things where statistics hide the real aspect that he didn't play a 50 over match).

Looking at Shaw, still didn't get the feel that he can play for the current Indian team will the crop of players we have

I think both Hardik and Krunal are not our answers to a solid batting allrounder. Hardik has matured tremendously as a batsman but in 20 over format. Krunal has no batting game against quicks, bowling is ok at best and with Jadeja and Axar around, like for like he should never get a chance above them.

Manish Pandey I think is over, would love to be proved wrong but even in this series, he was not timing well. Either he was too concerned about performing or he was just off.

The best batsman for me right now in ODIs based on form and ability against genuine spin is Shreyas Iyer and thankfully he is in England right now. If someone can give him a long rope and a permanent no.4, he will perform as well as Rohit/ Kohli in ODIs and T20s. In fact, if I were a selector, I would try to get him into the Test team too. He may not have the best being technique for Tests against swing, but his temperament is up there right now.

On the bowling side, Kuldeep is someone I hope gets his confidence back quickly, he is a bit slow/fast with the drift just a bit off to be back to his best. Also Chahal hopefully can improve as for too long, both the soon twins have been off in their bowling speed. They are currently just turning the ball and with the basis these days, even mistimed shots off them are clearing.
Old 25th July 2021, 23:32   #13537
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Avesh Khan and Washington Sundar will be replaced by Prithvi Shaw and Surya Kumar, surprised by the choices to replace a fast bowler and a spinner/all rounder!

Surya seems to be in great form in the ODI and T20 formats, but wondering if he will now possibly replace Pujara or Rahane ?

This will also mean Devdutt Padikkal and Ruturaj Gaekwad now have a chance of making their T20I debut against Sri Lanka.

Last edited by NPV : 25th July 2021 at 23:35.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 00:50   #13538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like Avesh Khan and Washington Sundar will be replaced by Prithvi Shaw and Surya Kumar, surprised by the choices to replace a fast bowler and a spinner/all rounder!

Surya seems to be in great form in the ODI and T20 formats, but wondering if he will now possibly replace Pujara or Rahane ?

This will also mean Devdutt Padikkal and Ruturaj Gaekwad now have a chance of making their T20I debut against Sri Lanka.
Our replacements have always been weird however these two are only backups. I wonder how come they did not consider Bhuvi especially in England. SKY may not play a single test with Kohli being adament on Rahane.
DDP or Ruturaj would get a game in the next match. Manish Pandey to fill in for SKY. His last chance to really do something extraordinary to be considered for upcoming seasons.
Old 27th July 2021, 18:01   #13539
BHPian

Krunal Pandya tests COVID-positive; India vs SL second T20I postponed by a day.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...poned-by-a-day
Old 27th July 2021, 18:58   #13540
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Don't understand the logic of postponing today's match to tomorrow! Should have ideally put the series on hold or postponed indefinitely.
Old 27th July 2021, 19:11   #13541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't understand the logic of postponing today's match to tomorrow! Should have ideally put the series on hold or postponed indefinitely.
I think it will get cancelled. 8 other players have been identified as close contact so they obviously won't play and it's not possible no one else was infected as Krunal is part of the team.

Good question is what will become of Shaw and Sky if they were in close contact then no way they can go to England.
Old 27th July 2021, 22:22   #13542
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good question is what will become of Shaw and Sky if they were in close contact then no way they can go to England.
Exactly. Looks like there's a lot to think and then decide to let them travel to England or not.

What I find difficult to understand is how one player inside the bio bubble tests positive. I mean unless they are lenient with the protocols or someone had to visit a hospital to get a test/treatment done, how can this happen ? Also scary because that one infected person can then effectively trigger a rampant infection within the bubble!

Edit: I think all 8 persons including Shaw and Surya who were in close contact with Krunal tested negative! Krunal's test threw up a false positive then ?

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2021 at 22:28.
Old 29th July 2021, 20:46   #13543
BHPian

Quite embarrassing for Indian Cricket

Lets not take anything away from Srilanka, they did bowl exceptionally well.
Sanjay Manjrekar for once spoke well when he said "young India is not playing spin well"

This performance shall put a lot of questions on Sanju Samson's ability to perform at the highest level. A lot of talent but less to show. S Dhawan was good except today still few good numbers in the series could have helped his case for the WT20.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 29th July 2021 at 21:02.
Old 29th July 2021, 20:53   #13544
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad batting display, I understand this is not our third choice team, let alone 1st, but the way the batsman played was apalling. Clearly shows the difference between top 20 players vs the rest, hopefully they learn something from this and get better.

Samson is IPL player at best, that too he plays a couple of good knocks in initial phase of tournament and fizzles out. This should end his India career, with likes of Ishan Kishan, Rahul and Pant ahead of him when it comes to T20, I don't see him making a comeback.
Old 29th July 2021, 21:01   #13545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Quite embarrassing for Indian Cricket
It's sad to see the team lose like this but I wouldn't say that this is embarrassing. It's a wonderful learning for the young "IPL heroes". They're shown that they have to improve a lot to be at the international stage. Although Hasaranga in particular and SL spinners in general bowled wonderfully well, if they're losing to a side like SL like this, it just shows how much more they've to improve. This will only help them in future is nothing else
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks