Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 00:08   #14656
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

We cannot have a 34 year old new captain across all 3 formats.

And I don't like the way it has been announced. He was a captain who won almost 3 out of 4 games for you. Deserved more respect, even in sacking.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 00:35   #14657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We cannot have a 34 year old new captain across all 3 formats.

And I don't like the way it has been announced. He was a captain who won almost 3 out of 4 games for you. Deserved more respect, even in sacking.
As per bcci official Rohit and Kohli were talked together before announcing the ODI captaincy change. I agree with the change but the way it's done is rubbish. Kohli has an exemplary win record in ODI and he is the best batter too in that format. Rohit is 34. By 2023 he will be 36 so a new captain has to be selected after 2023 world cup. There was no rush to make him Captain now. Instead they could have groomed someone like Iyer or Pant to take it over after 2023. Anyways, what's done is done. I hope this makes Kohli angry and he unleashes the beast of a player inside him.

Kohli can't be removed as Test captain. He took the team from no.7 to No.1 and won 5 test maces in a row and we are back to no.1 in tests. He is the best test captain we ever had. If we win in SA which we never had it's going to be the pinnacle of his test Captaincy. Just need to make proper selections for every match.

Good to see Rahane removed as VC, I hope he doesn't gets selected in first test with Vihari and Iyer playing. Jaddu injury means Ash will play all matches. The only thing to decide is do they play Vihari at 7 and go with 4 bowlers or play Thakur. In that case Ash bats at 7 and Thakur at 8. Probably pitch will decide this.

Dravid is in a hard spot. With centuries by Iyer and Mayank how will he leave one of them out as both can't play with Rohit and Rahul opening. Mayank could have played at 3 but Pujara is needed more at 3 to eat up the balls in SA conditions. Plus Pujara showed some form in last game.

This might be the starting 11 for first game.

Rohit
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Iyer/Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20211209005111_reddit.jpg  

Last edited by harry10 : 9th December 2021 at 00:52.
Old 9th December 2021, 00:47   #14658
Team-BHP Support

I dont think Thakur will play. We will go back to 6 batters + Pant. SA have a formidable bowling line up - Rabada, Nortje and Olivier - and we will need the extra batting. My eleven would be:

Rohit
KL
Pujara
Kohli
Iyer
Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj

Of course, there will be injuries with Mayank and Rahane as the backup batsmen and Ishant as the seamer.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:00   #14659
BHPian

Hope Ashwin stays fit throughout the series. He's been playing non-stop and almost certain to play 2 tests and expect Umesh/Ishant to replace him at The Wanderers.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:26   #14660
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We cannot have a 34 year old new captain across all 3 formats. And I don't like the way it has been announced. He was a captain who won almost 3 out of 4 games for you. Deserved more respect, even in sacking.
I'm not sure if he's been sacked as made out to be by the press! Once he quit T20 captaincy, he knew he'd have to quit ODI captaincy as well,right? Why he didn't announce it back then nobody knows, but its resulted in this awkward situation now.

Quote:
I dont think Thakur will play. We will go back to 6 batters + Pant.
I do hope we play 6 batsman + Pant but Virat is a fan of 5 bowlers.
Old 13th December 2021, 21:28   #14661
Senior - BHPian

Rohit Sharma has been ruled out from the test series against South Africa due to left hamstring injury. Priyank Panchal replaces Rohit Sharma in India's Test squad.

Source
Old 13th December 2021, 21:51   #14662
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Rohit Sharma has been ruled out from the test series against South Africa due to left hamstring injury. Priyank Panchal replaces Rohit Sharma in India's Test squad
When one thinks Rohit is fine, he gets injured and vice-versa like the Australian tour where he joined the team from third test onwards, missing the first two due to injury (initial announcements gave the impression he will miss the entire series). Absolutely no idea what is Really going on. To add to this, BCCI has decades of experience in messing things up with players as well as their communication with the media and selection gaffes.

Wondering what happened or will happen to Abhimanyu Easwaran who was in the squad as a reserve opener ?

Last edited by NPV : 13th December 2021 at 21:56.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:27   #14663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rohit Sharma has been ruled out from the test series against South Africa due to left hamstring injury. Priyank Panchal replaces Rohit Sharma in India's Test squad.
As much as I don't like saying it, this might be an excuse to send Pujara opening and slot-in Rahane after Kohli in the middle order. I expect one of Iyer & Vihari to make the cut - while I'm a fan of both, I'd pick Vihari for seniority.

I don't expect a change from the 5 bowler strategy.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th December 2021 at 22:30.
Old 14th December 2021, 17:24   #14664
BHPian

Quote:

Source
What is interesting is that Rohit is missing out on tests during Virat's captaincy and Virat is missing out on ODIs (personal opt out due to daughter's first birthday) during Rohit's captaincy.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 14:25   #14665
Senior - BHPian

Virat Kohli stated he was informed that he would no longer be India's ODI captain just 1.5 hours before the Test squad to South Africa was announced.

Quote:
There was no prior communication to me at all since I announced the T20I captaincy decision until the 8th of December, where I got a call before the selection meeting.
Quote:
The chief selector discussed with me the Test team, to which we both agreed. And before ending the call, I was told the five selectors have decided I will not be the ODI captain, to which I replied, 'okay, fine', and in the selection call afterwards, we chatted about it briefly.
Quote:
"There is no rift between me and Rohit Sharma," says Virat Kohli
Video

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th December 2021 at 14:53.
Old 15th December 2021, 15:10   #14666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Virat Kohli stated he was informed that he would no longer be India's ODI captain just 1.5 hours before the Test squad to South Africa was announced.
As it happens, in September, sources in BCCI spread rumors that Kohli will step down from both T20I & ODI captaincy. When it was announced officially, it was mentioned as T20I. Based on the rumor everybody else thought it was for both T20I & ODI. In between BCCI didn't announce the ODI plan to Kohli. Now Kohli is surprised. Looks like a failure to honor bargains made at the negotiation table
Old 15th December 2021, 19:04   #14667
Senior - BHPian

Kohli addressed press conference before leaving for SA.

Looks like Ganguly fed media a lot of rubbish. Kohli also stated he is sick and tired of explaining there is no rift between him and Rohit and people should stop fabricating stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20211215185547_chrome.jpg  

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20211215185533_chrome.jpg  

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20211215185526_chrome.jpg  

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20211215185516_chrome.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 20:33   #14668
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This is a colossal mess! Seems quite clear that Ganguly is the culprit here. Ganguly did to Virat what once Chappell did to him! Hope Indian Cricket doesn't suffer.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 20:47   #14669
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This is a colossal mess! Seems quite clear that Ganguly is the culprit here. Ganguly did to Virat what once Chappell did to him! Hope Indian Cricket doesn't suffer.
I've always felt Amit Shah's son is the real boss and decision maker. It's just optics not making him the head, would look bad if someone like him became the BCCI chief direct.

Last edited by AZT : 15th December 2021 at 20:48.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 21:03   #14670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I've always felt Amit Shah's son is the real boss and decision maker. It's just optics not making him the head, would look bad if someone like him became the BCCI chief direct.
No chance anyone else can be the boss when Ganguly is around. It's his mess end to end.

I love Greg Chappell now, amd his email to BCCI looks more and more credible and true.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks