Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2021, 22:08   #14716
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Team India for three ODI series against South Africa announced.

The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named KL Rahul as Captain for the ODI series as Mr Rohit Sharma is ruled out owing to an injury.

KL Rahul (Capt)
Shikhar Dhawan
Ruturaj Gaekwad
Virat Kohli
Surya Kumar Yadav
Shreyas Iyer
Venkatesh Iyer
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ishan Kishan (wk)
Y Chahal
R Ashwin
W Sundar
J Bumrah (VC)
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Deepak Chahar
Prasidh Krishna
Shardul Thakur
Mohd. Siraj

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st December 2021 at 22:10.
Old 1st January 2022, 05:09   #14717
Senior - BHPian

An interesting read, an eye opener in fact
About Sunil Gavaskar and the details of his stats.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/artic...nd-myth-470017

Last edited by selfdrive : 1st January 2022 at 05:10.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 08:39   #14718
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Team India for three ODI series against South Africa announced.

The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named KL Rahul as Captain for the ODI series as Mr Rohit Sharma is ruled out owing to an injury.

KL Rahul (Capt)
Shikhar Dhawan
Ruturaj Gaekwad
Virat Kohli
Surya Kumar Yadav
Shreyas Iyer
Venkatesh Iyer
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ishan Kishan (wk)
Y Chahal
R Ashwin
W Sundar
J Bumrah (VC)
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Deepak Chahar
Prasidh Krishna
Shardul Thakur
Mohd. Siraj
Disappointed to see the likes of Dhawan, Bhuvi Kumar, Ashwin and Yuzi Chahal still in the team. Is the cupboard so bare that we keep picking these tried and tested failures?

Prithvi Shaw can so easily replace Dhawan. I would even take Shivam Dube over Bhuvi Kumar. Where is Ravi Bishnoi? Why is it that these selectors cannot see these glaring blunders?

I had hoped for some sensible selections with Dravid at the helm, but these don't inspire any confidence.
Old 1st January 2022, 09:10   #14719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

The channel to satiate the cricketing appetite then was ‘Sports Star’ magazine. From childhood memories, I do remember this magazine giving a lot of credit to Vengsarkar.

Nevertheless, a good article and a good read. Nothing against the article or it’s views, but a nice perspective on ‘confirmation bias’ that hits us all times.
Old 1st January 2022, 11:11   #14720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Disappointed to see the likes of Dhawan, Bhuvi Kumar, Ashwin and Yuzi Chahal still in the team. Is the cupboard so bare that we keep picking these tried and tested failures?

Prithvi Shaw can so easily replace Dhawan. I would even take Shivam Dube over Bhuvi Kumar. Where is Ravi Bishnoi? Why is it that these selectors cannot see these glaring blunders?

I had hoped for some sensible selections with Dravid at the helm, but these don't inspire any confidence.
Dhawan has a stupendous record in ODI's even in 2021. You can't drop a player just because of his age when he is making runs for the team otherwise Sachin wouldn't had a such long career.

Chahal did well in the recent IPL and we need a good wrist spinner especially with Jaddu missing and he does well in ODI's. Ravi bishnoi should play some games in India first before testing him outside. He is an exciting prospect. I won't select Shivam Dube for any format. His bowling is mediocre at best and his feet are cemented to the crease when he bats that's why he couldn't make runs at international level. Rather if we want to experiment with a pace all rounder we should try Venky Iyer.

Bumrah as VC was a surprise. I don't want to bother him with additional responsibilities. He is the best Indian pacer in white ball and we shouldn't mess with his form. Should have made Pant as VC instead as he is a guarantee to play too and has experience of Captaincy in domestic and IPL.

ODI team is good enough but selectors should have selected Shaw rather than Gaikwad. Ruturaj is an exciting future player but what Shaw can do when he clicks none of these openers can. Plus he was ahead in pecking order before his injury miss out. Selectors did him dirty here.

Good to see Washi back. We need to develop him as a good backup of Ashwin especially in tests. As much as I like Ash I don't want him playing white ball especially ODIs. He needs to further his test career if he wants to cross magic figure of 500 wickets and playing so much may mess his fitness.

All said and done we win the tests and Odi series ( which I believe we will) and no will question these selections.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 15:38   #14721
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Dhawan has a stupendous record in ODI's even in 2021. You can't drop a player just because of his age when he is making runs for the team otherwise Sachin wouldn't had a such long career.

Chahal did well in the recent IPL and we need a good wrist spinner especially with Jaddu missing and he does well in ODI's. Ravi bishnoi should play some games in India first before testing him outside. He is an exciting prospect. I won't select Shivam Dube for any format. His bowling is mediocre at best and his feet are cemented to the crease when he bats that's why he couldn't make runs at international level.
My point is the focus should not be on winning a bilateral ODI series, rather should be to prepare for the ODI World Cup next year. Nobody is going to care if we lose this series. Moreover, in the recently concluded Vijay Hazare domestic tournament, Dhawan scored 56 runs in 5 innings. So clearly he is not in form too.

I don't remember the last time Bhuvi Kumar took a wicket. He's been mediocre and has got more than enough chances. There are so many options to replace him - Shivam Mavi, Avesh Khan etc are there if not Dube. We cannot and should not settle for mediocrity I am sorry.

SA batters struggle to pick googlies, all the more reason to pick Bishnoi. He would have made life miserable for them, so would have been a horses for courses selection.

Also, would have been the best time to experiment with someone like Shahrukh Khan. 8 matches, 253 runs @ 42 avg and 186 SR, I mean are the selectors blind? What's the point of loading the team with seniors when we have the world cup next year?
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 15:44   #14722
BHPian

Why is Siraj in ODI team? He is a proper test match bowler.

The selectors have clearly done a bad job over the past 3-4 years for the white ball team.

Gill was selected in January 2019 for NZ series.

Suddenly out of nowhere the selectors selected Mayank, Rishabh & Vijay Shankar for WC.

Prithvi Shaw was part of the team in SL ODI series in July.

The selectors have been very inconsistent and no planning.

Cannot believe that Shaw and Gill, who won the U-19 WC in 2018, are still not part of ODI teams.
Old 1st January 2022, 16:53   #14723
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

This article is indeed what I learnt growing up as a kid in a family which loved playing cricket. Unlike the general perception then, I was:
1. First told Vengsarkar and Amarnath were better batsmen against pace bowling
2. Then taught why they were better - shown numbers and instances and not just technique.

I heard of them playing against names like Ramesh Nagdev who not just scored as many if not more than Gavaskar, but was deemed by all including Gavaskar to be better than Gavaskar.

Same perceptions exist even for today's players inspite of us having access to not just better numbers but also access to videos. Numbers do have their limitations-
1. flat wickets of today, rules and equipment in favour of batsmen can make them look better
2. Numbers can be analysed ad infinitum to highlight any viewpoint we want to advocate

BUT

Numbers when combined with videos, can easily show the difference in impact between two players. Rahane and Pujara scored roughly the same runs in Australia last Test Series but ask any Australian fast bowler how tired they were in 3rd/4th tests with one Pujara making them bowl close to thousand extra balls.

Last edited by One : 1st January 2022 at 17:00.
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:18   #14724
Senior - BHPian

What happened to Kohli? Sudden back spasm?

Also how many more failures before Rahane and Pujara would be considered droppable?

Having said that, I still have a hope that our bowling unit can make a match out of this even if we are able to score only 200 odd.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:13   #14725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Also how many more failures before Rahane and Pujara would be considered droppable?
I just watched the replay of those 3 wickets. Mayank got a good ball, but I don't know what kind of shots that were played by both Pujara and Rahane? Especially Rahane, why do you want to play that ball when you have just come into the crease?
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:15   #14726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What happened to Kohli? Sudden back spasm?

Having said that, I still have a hope that our bowling unit can make a match out of this even if we are able to score only 200 odd.
Sunil Gavaskar made a righteous statement- Pujara & Rahane have just 1 more inning to save their career. This is true as we have Gill, Shreyas Iyer & H Vihari who have played better than them. Gill can play as the number 5 & Vihari at 3. Latter has shown his ability to play patiently like how we expect from Pujara.

With R Sharma & V Kohli back, the chances of Rahane & Pujara to be considered without them proving in domestic or county cricket is going to be difficult.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:32   #14727
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India on 108/4, only saving grace is Rahul unbeaten on 45. Hope we can get 250+ at least.

Pujara & Rahane - will they both play magical knocks in the second innings and save themselves from being dropped ? Time to give others like Gill and Shreyas more chances in the playing XI.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd January 2022 at 17:33.
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:35   #14728
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to question even Dravid role as Coach, he does not seem to be taking any tough decisions and happy to lug around at this point, he of all the people should be last to agree to play these below medicore players for a long long time now.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:41   #14729
BHPian

Does anyone know Shardul Thakur is also in the team !
Not sure what his role is. He can take SA wickets today and prove me wrong !

One of Pujara and Rahane would have to make way if Kohli comes back for next test and Shardul does something in this test
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:12   #14730
Oxy
BHPian

I cannot believe Shreyas Iyer is warming the bench after scoring a century the last time he played. I mean c'mon, expected better from Dravid.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks