Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 23:26   #15721
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The only downside is that they might get thrashed in the Ashes next year in Australia.
It's good overall for world cricket since one team will NOT be able to dominate more than one format
Old 14th November 2022, 01:29   #15722
BHPian

I dont think England has the best side in T20s. They have the most suited attitude though. Man to Man, they are below India & Australia. But their aggressive intent and all rounders are a big plus. A Strauss leaving ECB had done wonders to this English Side. On another day with some luck, Pakistan would have beaten them.
Old 14th November 2022, 05:41   #15723
Senior - BHPian

^^ On the contrary, I do believe that in these conditions, this england side would beat this Pakistan side more often than not.

I actually do not consider this Pakistan team to be a good one. They have a great bowling attack (probably the best pace attack) that has the knack of punching above their weight in important matches. But their batting is in worse shape than India unless they are playing in Dubai.

Australia are Australia but on a whole, I would rate them below this English side.

There is tremendous talent in India but as long as we have this conservative approach, we may win a lot of bilaterals but will come up short in knock outs and important matches.

I think England are the deserved T20 champs for the way they play T20s.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:11   #15724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I dont think England has the best side in T20s. They have the most suited attitude though. Man to Man, they are below India & Australia.
I think we've seen enough examples where man to man does not matter. Team attitude & structure does and that's what makes England the most formidable white ball unit. They are head and shoulders above everyone else currently.

Quote:

A Strauss leaving ECB had done wonders to this English Side.
Credit to Eoin Morgan too and I hope we can try him as a white ball coach sometime.

Quote:
On another day with some luck, Pakistan would have beaten them.
On a given day with some luck, any team can beat anyone in T20s. But this England unit will beat every other team consistently. Remember, they beat Pakistan in Pakistan in a 7 match T20I series just before the World Cup.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th November 2022 at 08:12.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:25   #15725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Won't be surprised if England play the ODI WC next year like an extended T20 looking at their batting depth.
They already are! The only way they will not lift the trophy is if they implode in a key match.

England has really pushed the ODI totals up in past 2-3 years. 400-450 is the new benchmark. About 15-20 years ago, it was considered an amazing achievement to score in the 300-350 range in an ODI game. (Not factoring in games like India v Bermuda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I don't think England has the best side in T20s. They have the most suited attitude though.
It is the attitude that makes or breaks a side, all other things being equal. Sure, they will implode in the odd game and it'll look ugly, but they are unbeatable on most days.

Their side consists of 11 batters like Virender Sehwag - Go hard or go home!
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:43   #15726
BHPian

The match again proved that its the bowling not batting that wins matches. A area where India came up short in spite of respectable totals and too much of mis-directed criticism about batting.

In T20 where you have to bowl just 4 overs, Pakistan went all out with pace. They were tired but un-relenting. Our fast bowlers try to use skill and with no assistance from conditions are like spinners with no turn.
Old 14th November 2022, 22:20   #15727
BHPian

I think the writing was on the wall. No one apart from SKY, Kohli and Arshdeep impressed. It was a sin not to include Samson in the team. Same is the case with Hooda’s non inclusion.
If the team keeps on sending second string teams for the ODI matches ( as is the case with NZ tour), it would be difficult for India to perform in the ODI World Cup next year.
IPL has given you so much of talent, time for selectors to select the right team and stick to it.

Last edited by Samegoodkid : 14th November 2022 at 22:21.
Old 15th November 2022, 07:27   #15728
Senior - BHPian

G R Vishwanath had a tête-à-tête with a journalist in Mysore. The event was well received. However, as can be expected, the audience comprised mostly of elders who had seen the legend bat in his best years. Young fans were conspicuously absent .

Here’s a news clipping about the same.

The Cricket Thread-19566d777e5e493dbac8ad2046da9a97.jpeg
(Please click open the image for better clarity)

Courtesy: Star of Mysore
Old 15th November 2022, 11:46   #15729
BHPian

Some here are suggesting that IPL is a problem and we will forget this performance once IPL starts. However, I think IPL isn't the problem. SKy is a product of IPL. The problem is we went ahead and selected teams in spite of IPL providing evidence that some of the selections won't work. Bhuvi lost form and was no more the master in death overs. And not just IPL but T20's across various countries suggested wrist spinners to be more effective, but didn't play one in a single match even after qualifying for semis. Same with top3 batsmen. IPL has proved that the top 3 play in the same mould, which no team can afford. In IPL they played in different teams, so not a problem. But it is a big problem when all 3 are in the same team. In fact IPL threw us many alternatives, just that the selection committee ignored them and weren't bold enough to experiment with youth.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 15:18   #15730
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Considering the next T20WC is in WI & USA,going ahead I hope this is more or less the team which plays T20 format for India:-

Ishan Kishan
Samson
SKY
Deepak Hooda
Hardik Pandya
Jadeja
Tewatia
Harshal Patel / Deepak Chahar
Chahal / Bishnoi
Arshdeep / Umran Malik
Bumrah
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 16:53   #15731
BHPian

I still think Kohli has enough fuel (& fitness) to make it to the team for 2023 ODI WC & 2024 T20 WC.
Rohit, Ashwin, DK, Bhuvi should be thanked and given a nice farewell from T20s.
KL dropped.

My team for 2024 T20 WC (which is way toooooo far away):
Ishan Kishan
Prithvi Shaw
Kohli
SKY
Hardik Pandya
Jadeja
Tewatia
Harshal Patel / Deepak Chahar
Bishnoi
Arshdeep
Bumrah

Reserves: Hooda, Chahal, Umran Malik, Shreyas Iyer, Pant
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 17:19   #15732
Senior - BHPian

BCCI sacks the selection committee, can Binny change the fortunes of Indian Cricket? Rahul Dravid has probably been spared along with Vikram Rathore.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/b...ations-1345401

Last edited by deehunk : 19th November 2022 at 17:20.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 18:44   #15733
BHPian

AUS vs ENG ODI series

The undisputed champions of white ball cricket lose two matches on a trot to hand Aussies an unassailable 2-0 lead in the 3 match series. The Aussies won both the matches on a platter, first one by 6 wickets and the second by 72 runs.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 21:08   #15734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
BCCI sacks the selection committee, can Binny change the fortunes of Indian Cricket?
Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves by assuming that Binny is the actual decision maker?

The way l'affaire BCCI has played out in the last few years, it is difficult to believe that everything is as black and white as it appears to be at first glance.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 04:22   #15735
Senior - BHPian

I think Indian cricket is facing a leadership crisis as it happened in the '90s, Chethan Sharma never deserved a place in the selection committee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks