Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 11:01   #736
Senior - BHPian

One thing to be said though - my wife who never watches cricket was glued to the TV during the 'shootout'.

Common man (& woman)'s cricket?
Old 15th September 2007, 11:03   #737
Senior - BHPian

First regarding the captaincy, i feel none of the younger guys are really ready to take the mantle. Maybe a stop gap captain in Sachin is a better idea than ganguly who might look to cementing his place in the team again by virtue of being a captain. His time is surely over as a captain. I would give it to sachin for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Watching the tie-break now - it seems so silly. It really is - its almost like gilli danda. Its also unfair - it negates the effect of SO MUCH serious and hard work during the actual match. This is a farce.
absolutely. Lookd so stupid. At least there could have been a batsman trying to hit the ball out of the ground & the team that gets the max runs could have been declared the winner.

But the pakis were so bad that they could not even hit once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Yes... We did it.. India won by 3-0. Thats great
what game we talking about ?
Old 15th September 2007, 11:03   #738
rks
BANNED

I am not a big fan of the 20/20 format. My preference is Test cricket and then the 50 over format. Still I am very happy that Pathan made a telling comeback with bat and ball. Sad that our selectors overlooked him for the England tour because he would have enjoyed the swing and seam movement in those conditions.

Regarding captaincy I definitely do not want to go back to either Tendulkar or Ganguly. I would bring back Kaif and give him the captaincy for both formats. Or else Yuvraj or Karthik would be candidates. The seniors will again start playing politics, indulge in favouritism, etc.
Old 15th September 2007, 11:09   #739
BHPian

The commentators during yesterdays India-Pak T20 were saying the match is a tie and bowl out is ONLY for points. Times reports India won the match. Which one is true?

Nirmal
Old 15th September 2007, 11:18   #740
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt anyone else think the bowlout was fixed? Sehwag didn't get his batting right, but was practicing bowlouts in an interview some days back.

and not one paki got it right!
Old 15th September 2007, 12:26   #741
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
I think you are forgetting that Pathan was coming back after a miserable 8 month period.
Mayank, Sreeshanth was dropped from the team as well. Yet, Dhoni showed confidence in him to start up front. Pathan ought to have proved himself in that 8 month period to get back into the team dont you think? Its all about which player a certain captain shows confidence in I guess. Ganguly favoured Bhajji, Rahul favoured Anil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
I hope it's done the same for his confidence too.
Ishaan, he certainly looks confident. Looking at the way he swung his bat and the way he bowled. Sadly, the ball was a little too old to see his swing at its best. This kid has talent, hopefully our management will be able to use it in the right way. Same applies to Robin as well. It was nice seeing him play a matured game and not throwing his wicket away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I would bring back Kaif and give him the captaincy for both formats. Or else Yuvraj or Karthik would be candidates.
For that my friend these players first need to CEMENT their place in the team. I hate to say it, but with the possible return of Sehwag and Pathan Yuvi too could be fighting for a place now.

Plus captaincy requires one to lead from the front, be aggressive, try out different things in tough situations, be calm, and more importantly be big match players, play when all the chips are down and more importantly have a good understanding of the game and OUGHT to be born with leadership qualities. Not every great player can be a great captain. Some are just born with that skill to lead a side. So who in the team fits the bill? These are the questions one should ask ourselves.

Look at Dravid, brilliant player but lacks that tactical knack of trying something different. Once you start to get predictable as a captain the opposition stands benefited too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Sehwag didn't get his batting right, but was practicing bowlouts in an interview some days back.
IIRC, in practice every batsmen & bowler bats, bowls, takes direct shots at the stumps both fielding and bowling. I mean EVERY player. Irrespective of whether he has ever bowled a ball in International cricket or not. Dravid bowls often in the nets, so does Robin. So its not that strange. These are the basics we are taught in cricket. Everyone at camps is asked to continously bowl at 1 stump.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th September 2007 at 12:30.
Old 15th September 2007, 12:59   #742
Senior - BHPian

Nobody is there to bowl properly in Slog Overs. All Indian bowlers will go for maximum runs. Look at Agarkar y'day. He did not even bowl a yorker in his last over. I would have preferreed to give Pathan the bowling in last over.....

Regarding Captaincy, I feel a younger player is better as the seniors will again start groupism.
Old 15th September 2007, 13:12   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Mayank, Sreeshanth was dropped from the team as well. Yet, Dhoni showed confidence in him to start up front.

but with the possible return of Sehwag and Pathan Yuvi too could be fighting for a place now.
Sreesanth had a 15 day break from international games and Pathan 8 months. And IMO I dont think Pathan did something exceptional with the ball (old or not) as compared to what he used to do in the Pakistan tour. He just kept it tight.

I know you say possible return of Sehwag but the way he played - do you think he can ? In fact Kartick looked so much better playing Asif and managed 2 sweet 4's off him as well.
Old 15th September 2007, 13:43   #744
BHPian

well it iwas one of the best match in 20-20. i called all my freinds for last 2 overs and it was worth waking up
Old 15th September 2007, 14:16   #745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sreesanth had a 15 day break from international games and Pathan 8 months. And IMO I dont think Pathan did something exceptional with the ball (old or not) as compared to what he used to do in the Pakistan tour. He just kept it tight.
If you are referring to match practice, then Irfan did have some good match practice. Maybe more than Sreeshanth in the given context. He was playing for the India A tour of Kenya and did well to make the come back. And what according to you is spectacular? Bowling a wicket maiden on your return against your arch rivals? Or is Asif's spell spectacular? Or was Bhajji's bowling to Afridi spectacular? NC, you must realize that Pathan is known for his late swing in the air. The ground conditions didn't favour swing bowling in the air, but aided off the deck movement. Pathan could not utilize this to his advantage because the seam had already softened up. There is a lot more than what meets the eye. And don't expect him to bowl like what he did elsewhere in the world. Its like asking Bhajji to repeat his escapades against the Aussies at home at a pace bowlers paradise like Melbourne.

Quote:
I know you say possible return of Sehwag but the way he played - do you think he can ? In fact Kartick looked so much better playing Asif and managed 2 sweet 4's off him as well.
I liked the way he hit that four off his legs. But its too early to speak. Let us see aage hota hey kya? He could just make a come back like Saurav did.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th September 2007 at 14:17.
Old 15th September 2007, 15:12   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are referring to match practice, then Irfan did have some good match practice. Maybe more than Sreeshanth in the given context. He was playing for the India A tour of Kenya and did well to make the come back. And what according to you is spectacular? Bowling a wicket maiden on your return against your arch rivals? Or is Asif's spell spectacular? Or was Bhajji's bowling to Afridi spectacular? NC, you must realize that Pathan is known for his late swing in the air. The ground conditions didn't favour swing bowling in the air, but aided off the deck movement. Pathan could not utilize this to his advantage because the seam had already softened up. There is a lot more than what meets the eye. And don't expect him to bowl like what he did elsewhere in the world. Its like asking Bhajji to repeat his escapades against the Aussies at home at a pace bowlers paradise like Melbourne.

I liked the way he hit that four off his legs. But its too early to speak. Let us see aage hota hey kya? He could just make a come back like Saurav did.
Did Pathan do well on the tour ? never heard of him taking wickets - I have no clue - will search on Cricinfo and get back. All I heard was he was taken to the cleaners by Kenya batsmen too. More after I check up. But yes I felt he was pretty ordinary yesterday but yes kept things tight.

Hmm lets wait and watch on Sehwag.
Old 15th September 2007, 16:13   #747
BANNED

IIRC he picked up 14 wickets in the 6 matches he played on the tour.

Anyways, here is something interesting to listen to.
Cricinfo - 'Ganguly's performance a credit to his resilience'
Old 15th September 2007, 16:20   #748
BHPian

hi can any body tell me how do india is d2 and newzealand in c1 even though they still have to play a game
i didn't understand the format of the giving group no and it has been already delcared india Vs newzealand
can any one explain me
Old 15th September 2007, 16:44   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

what game we talking about ?
I was just pointing the bowl out
Old 15th September 2007, 17:19   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Mayank, Sreeshanth was dropped from the team as well. Yet, Dhoni showed confidence in him to start up front. Pathan ought to have proved himself in that 8 month period to get back into the team dont you think? Its all about which player a certain captain shows confidence in I guess. Ganguly favoured Bhajji, Rahul favoured Anil.
So whats your point?

Are you trying to say Sreesanth's form was as miserable as Pathan's! Pathan had lost his ability to bowl man leave alone swing and you are talking about swinging it both ways and that also at will! And then you put him up in a match like yesterday's to bowl the second over or the first with a fresh new white ball. A white ball that would be maybe harder to control because of the water, mind you water and not moisture, in the outfield. Even 10 runs each in his 2 overs up front and Pak would have been targetting the 14.4 number. Dhoni is brave alright, but frankly I'm happy he's not that brave.

Most Viewed