Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 10:42   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hey guys, I have 2 suggestions for you all:

1. Watch domestic, first class cricket, where the stakes are low and nobody bothers fixing matches.

2. Play gully cricket yourself. Keep track of scores and how wicket falls.

After these, compare these to any International cricket match. Then find an instance of fixing in your gully, domestic cricket. Tell me the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Winning is winning !! and i am happy that India has come back, and has taken away the cup !! the youngsters are doing a fantastic job...cheers to Dhoni and his boys !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post
I can feel the confidence and the high moral within me because of this win.. It just reflects in whatever we do.... What say??
Well said guys . There will always be the cynics with their match fixing theories, I prefer to ignore their doom-mongering and get on with the celebrations.

After YEARS, we had an India-Pakistan final in a major tournament. After YEARS, we had a final that was not one-sided or predictable. After YEARS, we saw some BOLD decisions made by an Indian Captain that paid rich dividends.

So, WELL DONE INDIA & I hope this run continues........cheers: , despite & inspite of what our band of cynics may say about "fixing" lol!
Old 25th September 2007, 10:55   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Greg Chappel should be showing us the middle finger. We Indians have a habit of hogging all the credit when things go good for us. All the time that Chappel was the coach, he kept repeating like a parrot that youngsters are the way to go and we should give young players a chance. Then all of us were going gaga over Dada and calling Chappel names. Today we hail Yuvraj as the hero. Chappel had commented that Yuvraj has other things on his mind and if he concentrates on his game he can turn out to be a great asset to the team. Back them we took his comments personally and lambasted him for 'talking crap'. I find the headlines in today's newspapers and the media reports funny. Print and TV Media are talking about youngsters doing it for India. Chappel said the same thing. Back then he was the villian because we couldn't think of a future without Sachin, Sourav and Rahul. Today the media is asking who Sachin, Rahul and Sourav?
I tend to disagree here.
In Greg's coaching period, Indian Team was at its worst, came out of World Cup in first round. whatever be the reasons but somewhere the EGo of Coach and players did clash which created all this.
All these players who performed well in 20-20 are brought in by Ganguly who for with some of the selectors for Yuvraj, Bhaaji, Sehwag, Dhoni & Pathan which are actually the backbone of Indian team. And the Trio (Ganguly, Sachin and Dravid) getting out of 20-20 was their own decision.
If they were dropped by selectors, It would have put tremendous pressure of the youngsters who would have played for there places.

This was indeed a very good move by our senior players which paid off.
you cannot just write off Ganguly's team reaching 2003 finals.

And One more thing Guys, Please don't bring fixing rumors and spoil the party.
"Australia jeeta tow world Champion aur India Jeeta tow Match fixing" come on guys give us a break and back our players.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:46   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
khaadu khaadu khaadu...! I think you've been inhaling too many fertilizer fumes man.
hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Can't someone be angry when their team lose? And can't that same person be happy when they win without being accused of being something or another?
Well said RT. And Khaadu, isn't it a fact that you get angry at the people you love the most ? We all love OUR TEAM but it also pains us when they loose. And we do get angry at that time when we know that they can play like they played at the 20-20 WC but still do not and loose.

Thats it.

I have been glued to the TV watching highlights all night.

And Mumbai is going to be fun tomorrow - VICTORY MARCH from the airport to the Wankhede Stadium.

People travelling to town are warned.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:58   #1099
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Your talk as if India cheated Pakistan & won the T20 WC.
I am the last person to believe otherwise. IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us. Their batsmen did throw away their wickets but Misbah and Tanvir gave them an unbelievable comeback. It was just a matter of one shot, if the ball had cleared Shreeshant we would have totally different opinions here. Thats all I am saying. Its all good to be patriotic, but to me Pakistan played better cricket until that last ball and "IN MY OPINION" they deserved to win. Maybe not according to you guys, so learn to respect each others opinions and MOVE ON.

Quote:
EDIT: I know why you are not happy - Sachin T not in team. That could be the reason why we won the WC
Its quite clear that you are really not good at understanding my posts. I have said this before and will say it again. I am not a fan of Sachin, I was till maybe 12yrs old. Certainly not since then.

I totally agree with greatDrive. Whatever said and done, it was Ganguly who persisted with some talented youngsters like Yuvraj, Kaif, Pathan, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Sehwag and gave them the break. It was he who formulated the future back bone of the Indian team. I really don't seem to remember any other captain going against the selectors and DEMAND the inclusion of certain players the captain deemed fit to play for the country. Saurav did that, and look at the result today. I would say we need to salute Saurav for the foresight he had, rather than sing praises to Greg.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th September 2007 at 12:08.
Old 25th September 2007, 12:20   #1100
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic match . Absolutely nerve wrecking. I dont watch much cricket these days but took a liking for the T20 series. What a complete team effort by India. All the youngsters came out well. Mr Jogi did it 2nd time in a row. I like Dhoni's captaincy and the way he speaks in his interviews. Pakistan played well too but in the end, when you lose you lose.

As they say " Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar"

I hope most of these young fellows make it into the normal ODI side too. Hopefully this is the bright future of Indian cricket. Congratulations Dhoni and boys. You played when it mattered and yes a great performance in the whole tournament.

Tomorrow will be celebration in Mumbai.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:06   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I am the last person to believe otherwise. IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us. Their batsmen did throw away their wickets but Misbah and Tanvir gave them an unbelievable comeback. It was just a matter of one shot, if the ball had cleared Shreeshant we would have totally different opinions here. Thats all I am saying. Its all good to be patriotic, but to me Pakistan played better cricket until that last ball and "IN MY OPINION" they deserved to win. Maybe not according to you guys, so learn to respect each others opinions and MOVE ON.
I agree that Pakistan played good cricket.. but India was equally good except for Shrishant and Bhaaji 2 bad overs. Don't forget pathans and RP's contribution and Rohit's very good 30 runs.

Anyways I believe in "Jo Jita wohi Sikander"

Quote:
I would say we need to salute Saurav for the foresight he had, rather than sing praises to Greg.
Totally Agree.. I already saluted him
Old 25th September 2007, 13:09   #1102
BANNED

Pakistan were set to lose by 20 or 30 runs and as you say only due to Misbah & Tanvir they got closer. But as you say if Pakistan played better, then why didn't they get past India's score? Why did Pakistan's batmen get out (in your words, "gifted their wicket")? Pakistan batsmen got out due to India's team effort. India fielded well, bowled well & kept the pressure, that ensured Pakistan batsmen "gifting the wicket".

Y Pathan mistimed a pull. Gambhir got the scoop wrong. Robin couldn't get full bat on the ball. Yuvraj mis judged the bounce. Dhoni couldn't put bat on ball on a yorker delivery. So I can also say India were on cruise to get past 200 but their batmen "gifted the wickets" to Pakistan and hence made 157.

Quote:
I am the last person to believe otherwise. IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us. Their batsmen did throw away their wickets but Misbah and Tanvir gave them an unbelievable comeback. It was just a matter of one shot, if the ball had cleared Shreeshant we would have totally different opinions here. Thats all I am saying. Its all good to be patriotic, but to me Pakistan played better cricket until that last ball and "IN MY OPINION" they deserved to win.
You say WHAT IF the ball had cleared Shreeshant. I ask WHAT IF Misbah was yorked in Harbhjan's over instead of hitting him for 3 sixes?

Last edited by diabloo : 25th September 2007 at 13:13.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:17   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us.
Stop playing the Devil's advocate. They stuttered to their score losing ALL their wickets - that is hardly a convincing display.

The Pakistanis in my office are so much more graceful in defeat than you - the guys came up to us in the morning saying it was a deserved win. It is all well to have a different opinion, but trying hard to be different just of the sake it is quite pointless.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th September 2007 at 13:34.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:29   #1104
Senior - BHPian

The media is at it again. Headlines Today are running a SMS poll asking if the T20 victory is bigger then the 1983 one and as of now a whopping 85% of respondants are saying yes .

Thank God Dhoni refused to get into the comparision mode.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:30   #1105
Team-BHP Support

How much do they (the media) make per SMS?? There's your answer!
Old 25th September 2007, 13:31   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Well watever ppl say or think what i feel is india played well...and it deserved to win...after all pak has never never beaten us in the world cup and so be it.....
Young turks show that we can play even after some of the older guys retire
Old 25th September 2007, 13:34   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us. Their batsmen did throw away their wickets but Misbah and Tanvir gave them an unbelievable comeback.
Chote - The margin of victory or defeat was so close - you cannot conclude that one team played better.

We could keep arguing that we batted better than them as we scored 5 runs more, we bowled better as we had them all out, we fielded better as we got a crucial run out.

I think both were evenly matched to the end - where India kept their nerve and Pakistan lost it.

Quote:
It was just a matter of one shot, if the ball had cleared Shreeshant we would have totally different opinions here. but to me Pakistan played better cricket until that last ball
No IFS no BUTS - only JAT from Haryana

no ifs and buts in the game. If Bhajji had knocked out Misbah with a yorker , if Robin had caught Misbah ...we could go on and on

Quote:
and "IN MY OPINION" they deserved to win. Maybe not according to you guys, so learn to respect each others opinions and MOVE ON.
Well thats you opinion and we respect it. But now you have to celebrate this win.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th September 2007 at 13:35.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:45   #1108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Steer, please read the very same point you have quoted. I haven't at all mentioned Pakistan's batting yet. They clearly outplayed India in fielding and bowling departments. And no amount of arguing is going to change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It is all well to have a different opinion, but trying hard to be different just of the sake it so is quite pointless.
If it is indeed so pointless then just neglect my comments. I loved the way they played against the South African's, Englishmen and Australian's. That IMO was the best matches of the tournament and hats off to our boys.

Diabloo, are you trying to imply that Indian's bowled as well as the Paki's did? Save RPS' brilliant opening spell and Irfan? Run a diagnosis. Shreeshant got clobbered like a kid playing street cricket. In spite of being our teams front line bowler, he has absolutely no control over his line, length. Let us not even get to his anger management/temperment yet. Joginder "WIDE" Singh was perhaps the luckiest bowler on the pitch yesterday. Almost 90% of his ***** were close to being called wides. He somehow was able to get away with two overs in the last two matches. Are you telling me he was threatening and for one moment you could rely on him to control the batsmen like Arafat and Gul restricted India? India were clearly short of their target by atleast 25-30 runs. Now honestly tell me did our bowlers look as menacing as they did?

I wonder if the roles of the teams would have been exactly the reverse with Indian's on the loosing side. Would we still have reacted the same way or praise them for putting back such a good fight after loosing wickets? Sadly, thats a question I don't expect you all to give an honest reply to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc
Well thats you opinion and we respect it. But now you have to celebrate this win.
Thats all I expected my friend (and yes I did celebrate the win). Not comments like " Trying HARD to be polite. Don't test my patience" or "grow up mate" or "I would have come down right now to your place to beat the crap out of you! Count your lucky stars that you're very far away from here!"

PS: Forgot to mention, I was wondering what would be going through NC's mind when his favourite bowler was given the last over. NC were you getting ready to visit the Mumbai Airport with a AK47 had things gone wrong?

Anyways, if we are done with this topic can we move on? India have won the WC. And there is nothing that can change it now. So kindly pour out your views on the upcoming series against Australia at home. Who are the men to watch out for? Who are the men that deserve a place in the team and who ought to be dropped? Will the same team do as good as they did in this tournament in the 50 over game? How many of these new players warrant a place in the test matches?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th September 2007 at 13:54.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:02   #1109
BANNED

Quote:
IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us. Their batsmen did throw away their wickets but Misbah and Tanvir gave them an unbelievable comeback. It was just a matter of one shot, if the ball had cleared Shreeshant we would have totally different opinions here. Thats all I am saying.
Bowlers (overs) & Economy:
M Asif (3) 8.33
S Tanvir (4) 7.25
S Afridi (4) 7.50
M Hafeez (3) 8.33
U Gul (4) 7.00
Yasir Arafat (2) 9.50

RP Singh (4) 6.50
S Sreesanth (4) 11.00
J Sharma (3.3) 5.71
Yusuf Pathan (1) 5.00
I Pathan (4) 4.00
Harbhajan Singh (3) 12.00

India has under 3 bowlers with less than 6 per over, while all Pakistan bowlers went over 7 per over. Indian bowlers took 9 wickets while Pakistan bowlers took just 5 wickets. Whose bowling was better?

Catching wise, both dropped very difficult chances & held on whatever came, though India had to hold on during pressure situations (Shreesant's catch of last ball). India effected 1 run out while Pakistan none. But India gave 3 more extras (2wide, 1 bye) than Pakistan. So in fielding both even out. Then how Pakistan's fielding was better?

Quote:
Its all good to be patriotic, but to me Pakistan played better cricket until that last ball and "IN MY OPINION" they deserved to win. Maybe not according to you guys, so learn to respect each others opinions and MOVE ON.
Can't believe you said this. Nobody deserves the win. A win has to be earned. India has done that. Even if you think Pakistan deserves a win, they didn't earn it.

Enjoy the fateful scoop (shot induced by J-WIDE-Singh's wide delivery.)

Last edited by diabloo : 25th September 2007 at 14:05.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:05   #1110
BHPian

Did any one miss the news that yuvi will be getting a porsche as a gift from a BCCI vice-president...

Most Viewed