Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 14:06   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Enjoy the moment leave everything else aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I am the last person to believe otherwise. IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us.
they had a stronger bowling unit but they fielded better than us naaahh Hafeez palming a catch beyond the boundary for a six.
Catches win matches and India did well in this department except for the Uthappa drop.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:13   #1112
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Diabloo, the figures you put up are not a true indicative of how well they fielded or bowled. Look at the way the restricted India from overs 12-18. Now tell me who bowled better? India was slated to easily get to 180 or thereabouts. At one point it looked they wouldn't even get to 140 if it wasn't for Rohit. Look at the way they stopped the boundaries by diving around. That includes Asif's brilliant stop at long on too. Now compare that to the number of boundaries our guys saved. I suggest you watch the match highlights once again to get my point.

Do note that Pakistan's strength is their bowling while ours is batting. Now try and figure who did their best at what they were good at. Pakistan used their strength well while India faltered what they are brilliant at.

And where are all those people who said Irfan Pathan didn't deserve a place in this side? That he had lost his touch on how to even bowl? Or even Harbhajan for that matter? Where are all those people who vowed by Dinesh Karthik's batting? And Dhoni's? Dhoni's batting was the biggest disappointment of this series.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:14   #1113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Did any one miss the news that yuvi will be getting a porsche as a gift from a BCCI vice-president...
really? Along with the 1 crore and part of the 2 million USD? And I bet there will be a host of other prizes being publicised soon.

Mclaren, give it a rest bro. The figures show it, and the result shows it. The best team on that day won.

Last edited by Rtech : 25th September 2007 at 14:15.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:16   #1114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
really? Along with the 1 crore and part of the 2 million USD? And I bet there will be a host of other prizes being publicised soon.
No clue about the Porsche. But the 1CR & 2 Mil was the prize announced by the BCCI. I think the champions took home a prize money of 4.5 mil from the tournament organizers . Karnataka Govt has given Robin Uthappa and Venkatesh Prasad a sum of Rs 5L and a private builder is said to have gifted Uthappa a nice flat in a prime locality.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th September 2007 at 14:17.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:20   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Along with the tournament prize money... arent we too generous on our cricketers?

20-20 is not cricket, its just entertainment. By the way comparing this to the World Cup victory is absolutely foolhardy.
The media sucks at most times.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th September 2007 at 14:25.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:20   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
IMO Pakistan played better cricket, they bowled better than us, fielded better than us.
I would say Misbah ( Pak ) played better cricket than anyone else. Misbah performed under immense pressure but later gifted the wicket with pre-determined shot. This is what pressure does in such matches. Biggest mistake Pak did was to send Misbah lower the order inspite in good form and confidence.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:22   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Agree with mclaren. He's entitled to his opinion. We don't need to have a herd tendancy. To each his own.

Sreesanth & Bhajji in their 7 overs gave way 80 runs. No two Pakistani bowlers together gave away the same no. of runs in 7 overs. Thats just another way of looking at stats, diabloo. :-)

Pakistan have been the better bowling side in the whole tournament. India had the better captain. India held their nerves better.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:30   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at the way the restricted India from overs 12-18. Now tell me who bowled better?
You forgot we also restricted Pakistan in the middle overs and got wickets as well !

Quote:
India was slated to easily get to 180 or thereabouts. At one point it looked they wouldn't even get to 140 if it wasn't for Rohit.
Well as you say batting is our strength. We used it to our advantage.

Quote:
Do note that Pakistan's strength is their bowling while ours is batting. Now try and figure who did their best at what they were good at. Pakistan used their strength well while India faltered what they are brilliant at.
Excuse me - if our strength is batting , we beat them by scoring 5 more runs. If their strength is bowling they faltered - they took only 5 wickets while we bowled them out. As for fielding - what about the catch Rohit offered which was palmed over for a 6 - we can say that bit of bad fielding by the pakistan player cost them the match and we never missed an important catch.

Quote:
And where are all those people who said Irfan Pathan didn't deserve a place in this side? That he had lost his touch on how to even bowl?
He still cannot swing the ball at least I am not convinced. Agreed he bowled line and length but was he the Pathan of the old ? No ways !

Quote:
Or even Harbhajan for that matter?
Bhajji got his wickets by firing in yorkers. Compare that to Vettori - he out thought and spun every victim of his to doom in this format of the game too. Again line and length stuff from Bhajji but classical spin bowling for which he is known ? - nah.

Quote:
Where are all those people who vowed by Dinesh Karthik's batting? And Dhoni's? Dhoni's batting was the biggest disappointment of this series.
The way Kartick handled a rampaging Asif in the first match was very impressive. And yes Dhoni was dissapointing though he played a nice innings in the semis - I expected more big hitting from him. Maybe he will oblige in the Aussie series.

Anyways why are we discussing all this today ? LETS PARTY GUYS.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th September 2007 at 14:32.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:35   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Ok - Predictions for the Australia - India series ?
Old 25th September 2007, 14:41   #1120
BHPian

This thing came in as ticker in some news channel. Could locate much on net though...

Quote:
Yuvraj will get Porsche, Rs 1cr

The victors got an immediate financial bonanza. Sharad Pawar announced a $2 million award for the team, and another Rs 1 crore for Yuvraj for being the first to hit six sixes in an over. Also, Yuvraj will get a Porsche 911 as a gift from BCCI vice-president Lalit Modi. (PTI)
quoted from here...
Old 25th September 2007, 14:43   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ok - Predictions for the Australia - India series ?
Australia all the way... This aint 20-20
Old 25th September 2007, 14:49   #1122
BANNED

While it seems pointless and endless to debate on the rest of the points let me mention one more thing about one thing you mentioned.

Quote:
He still cannot swing the ball at least I am not convinced. Agreed he bowled line and length but was he the Pathan of the old ? No ways !
Look at the way he was handled. He was obviously the last choice when it came to throwing the ball to by our captain. Pathan's strength has always been SWING. And when does the white ball swing? Either in the first 6 overs or under the lights or when the pitch and the playing field is rough so that one side of the ball gets scruffed up and aids reverse swing. Pathan was never given a chance to bowl in the first 6 overs, neither did the ball reverse swing. I really thought that when Sreeshant got clobbered by Imran in that over and when RP got the ball to swing into Kamran and took his off stump, I though Pathan would be thrown the ball and that he would swing it. But alas, Dhoni has other plans. Though I must admit that Pathan did adjust beautifully, by bowling line and length and mixing his pace. He by far was the best bowler (most consistent too) of this tournament in our side. I would rate his bowling slightly higher than RP's.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:10   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Joginder "WIDE" Singh was perhaps the luckiest bowler on the pitch yesterday. Almost 90% of his ***** were close to being called wides.
McLaren, Dhoni was standing back while keeping to Joginder unlike earlier matches when he stood up to stumps for him. So it was clearly their plan to bowl wide outside of stumps.

Now, I haven't played as much cricket as you said you did, and was never on the verge of something as big as you say you were, but in my opinion, a low ball wide outside off is pretty hard to hit at. I am copying here ball-by-ball commentary from cricinfo his first three overs -

Bowling change - its going to be Joginder Sharma for some gentle slow-medium pace
6.1 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, no run, begins loosely, short and wide, he tries to cut too hard but cant beat the fielder at point
6.2 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, no run, short and wide again, Younis cuts, getting an under-edge that rolls to Dhoni
Brave move from Dhoni to bring on Sharma now
6.3 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, FOUR, slow half-volley outside off stump and this time Younis doesnt let it go, reaching out and driving it excellently through the covers for four
6.4 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, 1 run, short of a lenth again, this time Younis calmly opens the face of the bat and eases it down to third man for a single
6.5 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, no run, good length outside off stump, Malik gets forward and runs it straight to backward point
6.6 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, no run, short of a length on the stumps, stays low as Malik pulls into the ground in front of midwicket

8.1 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, 1 run, short and wide, cut behind backward point to bring him a single
8.2 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, 1 run, full and wide now, he's really letting them take the singles is Joginder, as the batsman easily drives through the covers for one
8.3 Joginder Sharma to Younis Khan, OUT, but he's got his man this time! Joginder bowls it fuller for once and immediately gets Younis, who cant resist thumping it down the ground, not timing it off the middle at all, and mid-on easily pouches it in his lap without movin more than a foot!
Younis Khan c YK Pathan b Joginder Sharma 24 (27m 24b 4x4 0x6) SR: 100.00
Pakistan are in deep trouble...but here's Misbah-ul-Haq. Dhoni brings a wide fifth slip into position.
8.4 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, back of a length outside off stump, left alone by Misbah
8.5 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, back of a length outside off stump, pushed off the back foot into the covers where Rohit Sharma moves well and fields
8.6 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, tight stuff, just back of a length and he steers it towards backward point, where Yuvraj reacts ever so quickly and denies the single
Good over from Joginder

10.1 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, no run, fullish and outside the off, driven at, outside edge down to the keeper
10.2 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, 1 run, short of a good length and wide outside the off, a bit too much width, cut just wide of point
10.3 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, 2 runs, fullish and on the off, the batsman walks across his stumps and clips the ball into the on side for a couple more
10.4 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 wide, full and wide outside the off, swing away from the bat, big swing, there's a thick sound and Dhoni goes up for the catch, loud appeal from the bowler too ... Simon Taufel gives it a wide and the Indians are unhappy
10.4 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, good-length ball outside the off, this time it's safely left alone to the keeper
10.5 Joginder Sharma to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, again full and on the off, Misbah walks right across his stumps and deflects the ball into the leg side for a single
10.6 Joginder Sharma to Shoaib Malik, 1 run, just short of a driving length and on the off, Shoaib opens the face of the bat and runs the ball down towards third-man for a single

So you can see that he gave only 13 runs from his first two overs and took one wicket. Figures much better than any of your favourite Pakistani bowler.

Agreed we bowled badly at the end, and should have won much easily, and also that we blew while batting as well, and should have score at least 25-30 runs more. But the fact is that Pakistan couldn't score as many as we did. And our bowlers restricted them. So I fail to understand how did they deserve to win.

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 25th September 2007 at 15:13.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:19   #1124
Senior - BHPian

The prize money to the team is actually $3 Million, $2 million for the cup & $1 million for beating Australia.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:42   #1125
BANNED

Prize money by ICC for T20: $0.49m
BCCI's reward for winning T20: $2m
BCCI's reward for winning against Australia: $1m
Why is BCCI giving money in dollars? Why not in rupees?

BCCI's reward for Yuvraj for 6 of 6: Rs 1 crore + Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
The prize money to the team is actually $3 Million, $2 million for the cup & $1 million for beating Australia.
BCCI is like a rich parent who tells: beta, did you win Rs 100 in running race at school? Good take Rs 1,000 as my reward

Last edited by diabloo : 25th September 2007 at 15:57.

Most Viewed