Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 19:25   #1276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

For those of you who are judging performances by Ranji matches kindly do note that our playing surfaces are probably the worst in the world (I know because I have played a few club matches or watched a lot of such games). How long has it been since we have a GENUINE QUICK BOWLER? Ever wondered WHY? How long has it been since we have had a world class spin bowler? Apart from Anil Kumble, Bhajji & maybe Piyush Chawla in the last 2 decades. Now, compare this with the likes of Pakistan and tell me how many renowned world class fast bowlers they are producing. Year, after year there is one bowler from Pakistan who is known for his sheer pace/swing. Indian pitches in the domestic levels are a JOKE. Flat, no bounce pitches. Our batsmen thrive on them, and when exposed to foreign, alien pitches the squirm with fear or fall like a pile of cards.

Quote:
However hard I try, I am not able to recollect any test in last 7-8 years, in which Tendulkar had made any telling contribution, any test which he has won on his own.
March 2004, against Pakistan 194 NO that set the platform for India along with Sehwag's 300. Some don't realize the importance of this knock. He provided support to a ballistic Sehwag and made sure wickets didn't tumble at the other end.

241 & 60 NO against Aus at Sydney and managed a draw. In those days drawing a match against Aus in Aus was as good as winning going by our wonderful overseas record.

193 at Headingly against England in 2002.

126 against a fierce Aus attack at Chennai in 2002 where India scraped through with a 2 wicket win.

Coming to ODI's.

94 & 99 against Eng in the just concluded series.

95 against Pakistan at Lahore which set the platform .

139 against Aus at Indore.

The list goes endless.

And Mr.Ntomer, why do you keep forgetting that this game CRICKET is a TEAM GAME and not a one man show. Which part of this statement of mine didn't you understand?

Quote:
One thing that people are missing here is the fact that its a FREAKING TEAM GAME, where if one/two or three players fail the other members should make up for this loss and lift the entire team. And those who keep blaming the fab 3 for the teams streak of losses either don't understand the phrase "TEAM GAME" or has never been a part of one to know how it works. Or has never closely watched the Aussies play.
Are you trying to tell us that a batsmen should single handedly win us a match while the rest sit with gay abandon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
Yeah, and he put Ponting and Steve Waugh in 30s. That list is as biased as they come.
And what is Shane Warne achieving by being BIASED? This is really hilarious. I think Courtney Walsh & Glen Mcgrath too mentioned in an interview that Sachin Tendulkar was the best batsmen they bowled to along with Brian Charles Lara. They said it was hard to pick between the two, but these two were definitely the best. So Walsh & Glen are biased too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
but I think he is past his prime. He is not able to take pressure anymore.
How many 90's did he score in the just concluded End series again after everyone said he was past his prime? It was so evident that it was the fab 3 who kept the hopes for India alive with aid from the youngsters. Thats the way its meant to be played. Assistance from the seniors and juniors. I suggest you to have a look at the composition of all the sides in world cricket and see what is the best balance? It has always been a blend of experience & youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Its the fab three which has won you so many matches, they may not be sensational vistories but victories none the less.
No, none will remember any of these matches. Since all their contributions over the years is overshadowed by one win in WC called T20. This win has given the tag of "champions" to your youngsters. Now, I am beginning to wonder if we even know what the word "champion" here means?
Old 27th September 2007, 19:37   #1277
Senior - BHPian

T20 is just exciting... it isnt cricket for me. You want to judge a 11 player team in a 20 over match... what this format has done is to bring back some of the people back to cricket especially in UK. Subcontinental teams have never been short of supporters.
Heck many of the teams didnt even take the 20-20 seriously... when it comes to cricket Australia is THE world champions by a mile. The series isn't very far off.

@diabloo... If the domestic cricket and standards are so good I wonder why do we dont have anything to show off outside the subcontinent. The same ranji players when playing international matches have hard time even opening their accounts... mind you they are the most prolific scorers in the domestic tournaments.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th September 2007 at 19:47.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:49   #1278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
T20 is just exciting... it isnt cricket for me. You want to judge a 11 player team in a 20 over match... what this format has done is to bring back some of the people back to cricket especially in UK.
Tell me about it. Its like an F1 race of 10 laps. Or a tennis match of 1 set. Or a game of soccer with 10 mins each half. The true test of the game is a TEST match. But how many of us have the time or the patience to watch one? I know I do. 50 overs too is quite a lot of overs to test a batsmens/bowlers consistency/talent and give a chance to the ENTIRE team to bat/bowl unlike T20 where only a handful of bowlers bowl & even less number of batsmen get to get an eye in and play their game. But its exciting, fun to watch. And less taxing on our daily schedules, which is why its gaining popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
Our under-19 teams win world cups and do well across the world. The India A is playing visiting South African team and they have won the test series 1-0.
Consistency boss, consistency. Isn't that the reason why you all are cribbing about the fab 3? That they are not consistently living upto your expectations? Same with our U-19 team. One or two series wins in a season is not enough. What we need is winning series after series for a year and rank Numero Uno in all formats of the game. Why these double standards? While we expect consistency from the fab 3 why not from the youngsters or the U-19's? Are you telling me that you are happy if we win one T20 cup & 1 U-19 WC a season and loose the rest?
Old 27th September 2007, 20:57   #1279
Senior - BHPian

This is like a Baleno vs OHC vs Palio thread, except no one owns 'The Wall' or 'Dada' or 'The Duty Dodging Dwarf'. Fun stuff.
Old 27th September 2007, 21:25   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
This is like a Baleno vs OHC vs Palio thread, except no one owns 'The Wall' or 'Dada' or 'The Duty Dodging Dwarf'. Fun stuff.
cheers: .
Old 27th September 2007, 22:28   #1281
BANNED

The battle of champions?

V/s

Pics Courtesy: Cricinfo.
Old 27th September 2007, 23:52   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Poor old hockey wale are getting their knickers in a twist as the 20-20 guys have got more publicity and cash than they got for winning the third rate Asian Cup.

full story : The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Our team won the Asia Cup by defeating a formidable rival in a convincing manner. This was no small achievement and despite our team’s efforts what did they get in return, just peanuts.
Gagan Ajit, ex-captain

Last edited by bigman : 27th September 2007 at 23:53.
Old 27th September 2007, 23:57   #1283
Senior - BHPian

A poll on ceicinfo shows that 50% feel Sachin should not be considered for the captaincy while 47.8% feel he should. Hmmm.
Old 28th September 2007, 07:51   #1284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
A poll on cricinfo shows that 50% feel Sachin should not be considered for the captaincy while 47.8% feel he should. Hmmm.
I don't think the opinion of the general public matters NC. If it did Saurav Ganguly with a majority of close to 70% of the public votes should have been the captain. What matters is what the privileged 5 think. And since the selection panel does NOT want to look back I think Dhoni should be retained as the test captain IMO. Sachin is not such an aggressive captain. Atleast not someone I would vote for to lead the test side.

Rohit Sharma replaces Chawla and can join the side as early as the second ODI. Lala continues to be our Cricket manager.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 28th September 2007 at 07:57.
Old 28th September 2007, 08:46   #1285
BANNED

Weathermen are expecting that the match could be interrupted by RAIN. Forecast definitely shows heavy rains over the next couple of days. Just pray that it doesn't happen.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:43   #1286
BANNED

I wonder when the weatherman got something right

Sep 29 Tomorrow
Cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 79F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Sep 29 Tomorrow night
Scattered thunderstorms in the evening, then variable clouds overnight with more showers at times. Low around 65F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Daily Weather Forecast for Bangalore, India - weather.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Weathermen are expecting that the match could be interrupted by RAIN. Forecast definitely shows heavy rains over the next couple of days. Just pray that it doesn't happen.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:09   #1287
Team-BHP Support

t20 final - misbah's mistake!!

misbah thought he was sending the ball to a place where there was no one.

he did not know that there is a malayali in every corner of the world!!!
Old 28th September 2007, 10:17   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
t20 final - misbah's mistake!!

misbah thought he was sending the ball to a place where there was no one.

he did not know that there is a malayali in every corner of the world!!!
LOL. MF drive welcome to the party. You just posted that joke for the 4th time on this thread. hehehe.
Old 28th September 2007, 12:07   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
March 2004, against Pakistan 194 NO that set the platform for India along with Sehwag's 300. Some don't realize the importance of this knock. He provided support to a ballistic Sehwag and made sure wickets didn't tumble at the other end.
If I remember correctly, he was playing way too slow in this game, and Dravid had to declare the innings with him at 194 n.o. And boy o boy, did he whine about it.

Quote:
241 & 60 NO against Aus at Sydney and managed a draw. In those days drawing a match against Aus in Aus was as good as winning going by our wonderful overseas record.
This was the series, India dominated. In the match you are talking about, VVS played a much much better innings which Tendulkar also acknowledged.

Quote:
193 at Headingly against England in 2002.
Dravid was the man-of-the-match in this match for his 148. And Ganguly also played a blistering knock in dark.

Quote:
126 against a fierce Aus attack at Chennai in 2002 where India scraped through with a 2 wicket win.
This game will always be remembered for Bhajji's bowling, not for Tendulkar.

Quote:
And Mr.Ntomer, why do you keep forgetting that this game CRICKET is a TEAM GAME and not a one man show. Which part of this statement of mine didn't you understand?
Dear Mr. McLaren, people like you forget that this a team game and elevate Tendulakr to demi-God like status. And if you have difficulty in understanding this or any other part of my post PM me. I am sure I can explain it in simpler language.

\N
Old 28th September 2007, 14:29   #1290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Dear Mr. McLaren, people like you forget that this a team game and elevate Tendulakr to demi-God like status.
I am talking about his current form. From the England series. He was the only Indian who came close to scoring a century more than 3 times and we had everyone here singing praises for him AGAIN after they had counted him off. With a performance like that in the previous One-day series he deserves a place in the team. As does Rohit Sharma after showing his talent. I am the last of the people who give him demi-god status. Infact, he is as ordinary a cricketer (not talent wise, even if I met him I wouldn't ask for an autograph from him) in my books as probably Yuvraj Singh is.

I think its people like you who gave him this DEMI-GOD like status in the past and are now frustrated that he is not doing well. As far as I am concerned however small a contribution a player makes, it counts in the end result of the match. According to your analysis of others doing well in all the games I have mentioned its like saying "A bowler gets full credit for taking a wicket". If you have played the game, only then you will understand that the credit goes as much to the fielder who caught the catch as well & the captain for placing such a field. But, I don't expect people like you to understand this about a team game. So I'll give it a rest.

Could you enlighten me in the period that Sachin was injured and out of the national team due to back injury how many of these "youngsters" of yours single handedly won India a test or ODI. While Ganguly was dropped, can you enlighten me on HOW or WHY he made it back into the playing 11? Can you also enlighten me on how Virender Sehwag is also slated to make a come back into the playing 11? Are you telling me that they haven't been given enough chances to cement their place?

Its people like you who have gone ho-hung on the victory of a T20 WC singing praises unlimited for a bunch of people, that makes them feel like DEMI-GODS (I personally HATED the idea of giving away bonus', cash awards, felicitation etc. A simple victory procession would have sufficed, but thats MY OPINION). Go figure, whose the one symbolizing these players to the status of demi-gods. I can assure you its NOT me.

JFYI, I wouldn't care less if Sachin, Saurav, Ganguly were to be dropped this instance. I would still watch the game with the same enthu that I watched when they played in their prime years. What I WILL not do is keep whining like you and some of the others here are that a certain player/group of players ought to be dropped specially when you are in no position to make that happen. This attitude IMO is of a person who can't do anything in life but sit back as an arm chair critic and pretend that he could have done a greater good deed IF he was in control.

For the sake of repeating it for the "N"th time. I enjoy the game FOR WHAT its played (on the field) and by WHOM (read as playing 11) its played. Not by WHO SHOULD or SHOULDN'T have played.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 28th September 2007 at 14:38.

Most Viewed