Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2007, 19:21   #1336
BHPian

Its raining cats and dogs in Bangalore. Looks like the match will be reduced to 25 overs. I hope it does, else India will definetly loose.
Old 29th September 2007, 19:30   #1337
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It will be a pity to see the efforts of Clarke go to waste then. I hope the rain gives way & we see some action on the field than off it.
Old 29th September 2007, 19:33   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
It will be a pity to see the efforts of Clarke go to waste then. I hope the rain gives way & we see some action on the field than off it.
Looks like the rain have stopped but the way it poured for last 15 minutes, Its very difficult to have more than 30 overs game left.
I also want play to resume, lets see what happen....
Old 29th September 2007, 20:09   #1339
rks
BANNED

I agree that Pathan had to be given his full quota of overs. I am also wondering why Pathan has been sent in at No. 3. I never agreed with this move even during Greg Chappell's period as coach. Why let Pathan face the music against the new ball when we have regular batsmen like Dravid and Yuvraj? Pathan could be more useful lower down the order, although he certainly can deal with the new ball as well. I only hope that all this doesn't destroy Pathan's confidence again. Dhoni should concentrate on getting the basics right and not try too many things at the same time.
Old 29th September 2007, 21:48   #1340
BANNED

What our WC winning captain is forgetting is that Pathan is in the team for his bowling & not batting. If his bowling is not going to be utilized inspite of doing well, then he might as well be replaced with someone else who will do justice to his selection. Say a Harbhajan Singh who will bowl his quota of 10 overs.

The rule in cricket has always been the fact that let the best batsmen in the team face the music for as long as possible. With the likes of Sachin, Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Ganguly, Gambhir etc why would you send a lower order batsmen to face the music? It may fire or may not. Is Dhoni trying to be too different and in the process making some unforeseen errors and denting the confidence of the team or is he pushing the youngsters into rough seas just to protect himself? Remember he pushed even Rohit Sharma up ahead of him so that he would not face the music, but it was lucky that the plot paid off. If not Rohit would have been out of the team maybe forever? 20 overs is too short to see the shortcomings of such decisions but they will be overtly exposed in the longer versions of the game.

Sadly, looks like the rain is badly affecting the game. But hey, hang on. It might just end up being another T20 game . But one thing I have to give it up for the Aussies is irrespective of the situation, irrespective of whether you are senior or junior who is making a comeback or a debut, someone or the other raises up a hand and comes up with a match winning knock so consistently. Just makes me wonder what makes us lack this quality?
Old 29th September 2007, 22:05   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Match has been called off.
Old 29th September 2007, 22:36   #1342
BANNED

Sadly, the match has been called off. And we will never know how India would have gone about chasing the target. Its about time we have indoor stadiums now .
Old 29th September 2007, 22:47   #1343
rks
BANNED

Pity that the match had to end like this, after such a top-class performance by the Aussies.

The only reason I can think of for Pathan being sent in at No. 3 is that it was already drizzling and with play about to be halted, Dhoni looked down the order and plonked in the junior-most player to go in and face the music. If someone like Karthik had been available, he would undoubtedly have been sent in as the sacrificial lamb. Probably Dravid was not too keen to go in at that stage, since he had nothing to gain with play about to be called off, and a lot to lose if he got out.

Last edited by rks : 29th September 2007 at 22:48.
Old 29th September 2007, 23:42   #1344
BANNED

Wasn't it Suresh Shastri who ruled Sachin out? Anyway these things (read duck) can happen to the best batsman also
Quote:
Befitting start for Sachin in this series. Once again, Steve Bucknor somehow finds himself in the midst of another harsh decision of not going off the field inspite of the constant drizzle . But, Bret Lee & Johnson are bang on target from ball one. With Saurav injured, the onus certainly lies on your WC winning boys. Lets see if they live up to the expectations, like the Aussies did.

D/L could play a major role in this match here. So nothing is over till its over.
Old 30th September 2007, 10:06   #1345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Wasn't it Suresh Shastri who ruled Sachin out? Anyway these things (read duck) can happen to the best batsman also
Being the MORE experienced of the Umpires, Steve Bucknor is the one who HAS to make a decision to go off. Even if it is a slight drizzle, I have never seen umpires go on for more than an over. Or maybe two max. Certainly not three, its not fair to carry on when the drizzle is constant for over 10 minutes, infact I wonder why they even came out since it was drizzling even before the start of the match.

Not only does the slight drizzle wet the ball, bat, the ground etc, but more importantly it makes the pitch wet. A pitch exposed to constant drizzle could alter the way it plays too. Which may not be so evident in a 20 over match, but will be in a 50 over. I know for a fact that 99% of the batsmen in the world would be disappointed to get out in such conditions. Where concentration levels are so high, drizzle is surely quite a distraction & plays on your mind.

But, have to admit the delivery was a peach of a delivery. All 5 ***** left the batsmen and the last ball came back in. Like Slater said "9/10 times ANY batsmen WILL get out to such a ball". Sachin was outdone by some smart bowling. Hats off to Johnson. Thats why I mentioned "a befitting start to Sachin's innings". It will keep the rest of the batsmen on toes to perform and it would have once again showed if our team was upto to task of chasing down a big total against the champions inspite of loosing some quick wickets. Sadly, wasn't to be.
Old 30th September 2007, 10:13   #1346
rks
BANNED

Quote:
But, have to admit the delivery was a peach of a delivery. All 5 ***** left the batsmen and the last ball came back in. Like Slater said "9/10 times ANY batsmen WILL get out to such a ball". Sachin was outdone by some smart bowling. Hats off to Johnson.
This is where the age factor comes in. The ball moved in unexpectedly, and a younger Sachin might have had the reflexes to make the necessary last-minute adjustment. These days Sachin gets out bowled or LBW once too often. It is not his technique that is failing, it is the lack of reflexes.
Old 30th September 2007, 10:45   #1347
rks
BANNED

I read in the Times of India today that V. Anand, our chess grandmaster, has won the world chess championshiop at age 37. In my opinion, Anand is as much a superstar as any of our cricketers who were part of the T20 team. For this remarkable achievement, I hope Anand gets the same publicity and rewards that our cricketers got.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:00   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Aussies were in the range of 150 runs at the completion of 30 overs. In the remaining 20 overs they had scored another 150 runs. Poor bowling from Indians as they sprayed all aussies scoring shots either down the leg or full on the off.

Scoring 300+ from average start boosts the confidence of aussies after exit from T-20 at semis. hope sachin gives good start for India at cochin and remaining matches

Last edited by Surprise : 30th September 2007 at 11:02.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:52   #1349
BANNED

It always happens to Sachin, why? Its an old trick - 5 leaving and 1 coming in. Old pro must have expected this. I put my tongue out & say any other batsman would have defended successfully or pushed it for runs. Sometimes Sachin gets into a mental block. He should play freely like Lara.
Note: Commentators also say the delivery was so good that any other batsman would have left it alone and since Sachin is the greatest batsman, he nicked it
Quote:
But, have to admit the delivery was a peach of a delivery. All 5 ***** left the batsmen and the last ball came back in. Like Slater said "9/10 times ANY batsmen WILL get out to such a ball". Sachin was outdone by some smart bowling. Hats off to Johnson.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:54   #1350
BHPian

What is your opinion on playing powar? Is it justified in playing him and leaving Bhajji out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks