Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 07:38   #2371
BANNED

Dravid's idea of not scoring runs has almost ensured Australia doesn't lose this game. 443 to get. So means Laxman, Sachin, Ganguly, Yuvraj & Dhoni, each have to get 85. Rest can be got by the bowlers.
Old 29th December 2007, 08:12   #2372
BANNED

Oops, Sachin doesn't get his 85 . And his 4th innings away average remains at a pathetic 27.89.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
So means Laxman, Sachin, Ganguly, Yuvraj & Dhoni, each have to get 85.
Old 29th December 2007, 10:07   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
What should not happen is that Indians start defending like there is no tomorrow.
That is exactly what we are trying to do. And what is wrong with Dravid here ? I think he is in no shape mentally to play cricket right now. Giving him a break will do him a lot of good.
Old 29th December 2007, 11:27   #2374
Team-BHP Support

Game Over. Done and dusted. Aussies make it 15 in a row.

Now the management will be in a quandry. They juggled around the batting order to fit in yuvraj but he failed miserably. The shuffling also meant that Dravid was forced to open and he played ____________ (don't have the words to describe his batting).
Now, they might consider playing Sehwag instead of Yuvi and get Dravid back to #3.
Or, the crazy ppl might ask Dhoni to open. You never know with India's selectors
Old 29th December 2007, 12:08   #2375
BANNED

Dravid doesn't like opening. In this test he batted as if he was taking revenge for asking him to open the innings.
2nd test is a must win for India now. So I suggest 2 changes:
1. Sehwag in for Yuvraj, Sehwag bats at 2, Dravid goes back to 3 & so back to runs.
2. Ishant/Pankaj in for RP Singh (one left arm in Zaheer is enough for the team).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Now, they might consider playing Sehwag instead of Yuvi and get Dravid back to #3.
Old 29th December 2007, 12:17   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Sehwag has to be there now for the 2nd test - we do not want the 2 snails (JnD) to repeat their performance in Sydney.

I think Dravid needs a break now - there is something very serious playing on his mind and it shows. He stands aloof, doesn't get into any discussions (strange, considering he was skipper just a few months ago), his batting seems to have suddenly gone back by a decade - there is something that is troubling him emotionally and mentally. The faster he gets rid of it - the better it is for Indian Cricket and for him as well.

So I would let Yuvraj be and rest Dravid for the Sydney match.

But yes you never know what the selectors and management think - we might just see Irfan Pathan as opener in Sydney.
Old 29th December 2007, 13:08   #2377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
But yes you never know what the selectors and management think - we might just see Irfan Pathan as opener in Sydney.
Very Very likely to happen. Drop RP and get Pathan in. Waise bhi Sydney main to spinners hi kaam ayenge.

Sheer stupidity....... But I personally don't think that Dravid should be dropped. Just give him his normal # 3 position and see if he plays better.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:37   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Howz this idea for a change: Drop Dhoni and bring in Karthik. Karthik will open the innings and keep the wickets and all the other members will retain their spots of batting.
Old 29th December 2007, 18:00   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Howz this idea for a change: Drop Dhoni and bring in Karthik. Karthik will open the innings and keep the wickets and all the other members will retain their spots of batting.
Dont agree. Dhoni is a better batsman AND keeper than Karthik.
Old 30th December 2007, 14:05   #2380
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sheer stupidity....... But I personally don't think that Dravid should be dropped. Just give him his normal # 3 position and see if he plays better.
In both innings Dravid had settled down. You can blame the move to make him open if he had got out early. But not in this Test match. He was negative in his attitude and also some technical weaknesses are beginning to open up.

Ganguly, Tendulkar and Laxman also were well-set in both innings and did not make a big score. This is the problem. Once upon a time a couple of these guys will go on to make a big score, but it is not happening right now.

Our batsmen are tigers on Indian pitches and lambs eleswhere. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe we have to wait till the Aussies win the series and then throw a game to us for consolation.

Last edited by rks : 30th December 2007 at 14:07.
Old 30th December 2007, 14:49   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
In both innings Dravid had settled down.
Define "settled down". He plays for a team, the team requires runs. Getting some runs on the board would mean that he has settled down to his role in the team.

Quote:
Ganguly, Tendulkar and Laxman also were well-set in both innings and did not make a big score. This is the problem. Once upon a time a couple of these guys will go on to make a big score, but it is not happening right now.
Yes indeed - they all seem content to play a 40 or 50 (including the guy who cannot succeed in Australia since he is suspect outside the offstump). We need someone to make a stand.

Quote:
Our batsmen are tigers on Indian pitches and lambs eleswhere. I don't know what the solution is.
This is the biggest problem for Indian cricket. Everyone knows the problems and will hold out at great length on them. No one has a solution.
Old 30th December 2007, 15:10   #2382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In both innings Dravid had settled down. You can blame the move to make him open if he had got out early. But not in this Test match. He was negative in his attitude and also some technical weaknesses are beginning to open up.
Settling down means that a batsman gets into rhythm. Dravid did NOT settle down in either of the two innings. Perhaps due to the fact that he is not comfortable opening. Sometimes I think that the should be bull headed like VVS who has said that he will not open, come what may. He is a middle opder player and should remain so.
Old 30th December 2007, 15:19   #2383
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Define "settled down". He plays for a team, the team requires runs. Getting some runs on the board would mean that he has settled down to his role in the team.
He survived the first 5 overs with the new ball (and more) in both innings. As No. 3 he has come in to bat within the first 5 overs many, many times and succeeded. He was well-set and lost his wicket in both innings. That has nothing to do with his opening role.

Quote:
Yes indeed - they all seem content to play a 40 or 50 (including the guy who cannot succeed in Australia since he is suspect outside the offstump). We need someone to make a stand.
I still say the same thing. Anybody with a minimum level of knowledge of the game knows that Ganguly's technique is bad.

Quote:
This is the biggest problem for Indian cricket. Everyone knows the problems and will hold out at great length on them. No one has a solution.
I made a correct prediction about our batting in Australia. Did you or anybody else make that prediction. You wanted me to eat my words, if I recollect correctly. Did you expect the Bengal tiger to roar in Australia?

I have given plenty of solutions in this thread. The first step is get rid of all those who wheel-and-deal and play politics, including the guy who has a poor technique outside the offstump. Take it or leave it. Bring in promising youngsters who have the techique; not those who score tons and tons of runs in India and flop elsewhere because of technical shortcomings. As things stand, domestic performance alone cannot be a valid criterion for selection because our pitches are doctored to favour batsmen.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:10   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still say the same thing. Anybody with a minimum level of knowledge of the game knows that Ganguly's technique is bad.
Quote:
Did you expect the Bengal tiger to roar in Australia?
Considering the fact that he top-scored for India, I guess the rest of them dont even know what technique means.

The God of the Off-side has been written off by so many people. His technique, temperament, commitment has been questioned and rubbished. His future has been written off.

Yet he stays, so that people may continue to write rabidly about him.

rks, congratulations on predicting yet another Indian loss (if it takes effort to predict the inevitable), but a more balanced and less rabid view of things would be appreciated.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th December 2007 at 16:25.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:25   #2385
Team-BHP Support

Guys slightly OT: I have seen the Yuvraj 6 6's video on youtube. Can anyone help me find another clipping of the same video with some different commentry, preferably an English or an Aussie channel. Puh-lease

I think the commentary maketh the occasion. Sunil Gavaskar ruined Kumble's 10 wicket haul with absolutely boring commentary/

Most Viewed