Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 20:55   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Get sreesanth in.
He was the one who had the guts to stare down a couple of those 'monkeys'.
And, he's not a bad bowler too.
He tends to lose it when he does that. we need someone who can bowl aggressively not just talk & look aggressive. I want Zaheer all pumped up like he was in England & R.P in full form bowling full length deliveries & not short deliveries. We could maybe even try pathan for this match. Swing bowlers have always done better in perth more than fast bowlers. Remember kapil dev, prabhakar, tendulkar's last wicket taking over against WI in the tied one dayer ?
Old 15th January 2008, 21:01   #2717
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I read about a good suggestion from someone in Sydney. Goes like this.

Every team is given 3 appeals (on field appeal against the umpires' decision) per innings.

If the fielding side appeals for an LBW against a batsman & it is turned down, the fielding side would appeal to the 3rd umpire/match referee who will check with the replays & give his verdict. If the verdict is in favour of the fielding side, they get to keep their 3 appeals in tact, if not they lose one appeal.

The same applies to the batting side, if the batsman feels he has been unfairly given out, his team can appeal, if he is not out, he can continue to bat & his team keeps their 3 appeals in tact, if not he has to go & the team loses one appeal.

I feel this is a pretty good suggestion. This way, it would be ensured that the teams use this only if they want to & not on any whim.

The pros & cons of this idea guys.
Yes, thats a good idea, and i think its picked from tennis. Cricket has to move on with times....
Old 15th January 2008, 21:10   #2718
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I read about a good suggestion from someone in Sydney. Goes like this.

Every team is given 3 appeals (on field appeal against the umpires' decision) per innings.
This is not such a bad idea, but still why limit the fielding side to only 3 such appeals?

My suggestion is that a *panel* of experts should be looking at the match on TV and whenever there is enough doubt on an umpire's decision, put the game on hold, call for the replay with appropriate tools (snick-o-meter, hawk-eye, etc.) and overrule the umpire on the spot if necessary. This should be done routinely throughout the match, even without any explicit appeal by the fielding side. I don't think that a lot of time will be wasted as it would be immediately clear to the panel whenever an umpire makes a dubious decision. Let us say that this rule should be adhered to whenever even one member of the panel asks for a replay.

Also the same panel should look out for other oversights by the on-field umpire(s) and overrule them on the spot if required. E.g. missed no*****, too many or too few deliveries in an over, etc. Jaffer was actually not-out when he was bowled by Brett Lee at SCG because that was a noball missed by the umpire.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:15   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
This is not such a bad idea, but still why limit the fielding side to only 3 such appeals?

To have a free flow of the game. Moreover the panel of experts could very well wind up like bucknor & benson & we will still end up with these kind of sour feelings. 3 appeals is more than fair, if you got your act right, you could even appeal any number of times or at least save it for a crucial time or a crucial player.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:46   #2720
rks
BANNED

I think the game will have enough free flow even if every dubious decision is routinely reviewed. Eminent ex-cricketers like Shastri, Ian Chappell, Wasim Akram or Gavaskar will instantly spot dubious decisons and correct them in next to no time. They are impartial as well, as is obvious from their commentary.

And the panel will be wary of making mistakes because that will be obvious to just about the whole world and they will not have any excuses (unlike the on-field umpires). Note that there were reportedly 11 wrong decsions by the on-field umpires in the Sydney Test, most of them by Bucknor and most of them against India. Obviously the reaction of the Indian team would have been to question virtually every close decision made by Bucknor and this would have been 100% justified.

Last edited by rks : 15th January 2008 at 21:53.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:00   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I think the game will have enough free flow even if every dubious decision is routinely reviewed. Eminent ex-cricketers like Shastri, Ian Chappell, Wasim Akram or Gavaskar will instantly spot dubious decisons and correct them in next to no time. They are impartial as well, as is obvious from their commentary.
rks, please do not even start about commentators, they put their mouth where the money is & in no way are they competent enough to be umpires. I respect them for their intelligent comments (not from shastri), but thats that. Even their comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. So when they get it wrong, we should have more commentators commenting on their stupid decisions, there will be no end. We should leave this to professionals, IMO.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:46   #2722
Senior - BHPian

This is shocking but is this true ?

This is in the Australian newspapers - but whats shown is actually available ?

The images could offend people , so careful.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:57   #2723
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if this would rake up another 10 issues of racism. I wouldn't be surprised if Amul came up with such ads..
Old 15th January 2008, 23:37   #2724
BANNED

Its official:
Sehwag in & Yuvraj out.
Pathan in & Harbhajan out.

Chris Rogers in & Hayden out.
Shaun Tait in & Hogg out.
Old 16th January 2008, 07:39   #2725
BANNED

India won the toss and are batting !!!
Sehwag opens with Jaffer !!! cheers:
Old 16th January 2008, 08:50   #2726
BANNED

India 50/0 in 9.2 overs. Runrate: 5.35
Old 16th January 2008, 09:02   #2727
BHPian

Am i daydreaming??? Runrate of 5.35 at Perth!!!. Hope they continue this tempo and show Australians the colour of India..
Old 16th January 2008, 09:09   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
Am i daydreaming??? Runrate of 5.35 at Perth!!!. Hope they continue this tempo and show Australians the colour of India..
To many extras by the bowlers, there are 13 extras already, Brett Lee bowled 8 NBs!
Old 16th January 2008, 09:37   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Ind 59/2 Jaffer and Sehwag gone.
Old 16th January 2008, 09:41   #2730
BHPian

Ok Procession starts...Even before the menacing Tait started to bowl, two wickets down. Looks like India cant stand to score even 200 in this pacy pitch..

Most Viewed