Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 23:59   #3031
BHPian

I totally agree with MC Mayank on above posts. There has to be a solid cricketing reason to remove a player like Ganguly from the team.. His fielding is one thing which has always been talked about, but then why he was recalled in ODI recently? Did he showed some great fielding that time to come to the ODI team.. Nops the reason was simple.. He was performing with the bat (and the ball too) and others are not able to hold the chances given to them. He was called back to fix the opening issue which Gautam, Sehwag and uttapha were not able to solve despite of n number of chances (and that included Home series). I agree one day we have to move on to younger ones but than there should be a worthy candidate. Let somebody earn the place by betting and not diving around the field to save couple of runs. In my view, only hope is sehwag, if he clicks in opening its fine otherwise I dont expect much from Gambhir; and I am very sure selectors will be 'forced' to take him back in the squad by the next series!
Old 21st January 2008, 00:54   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
2 Beer bottles. Aussies will win.
Make sure you send the beer along with the bottles.
Old 21st January 2008, 08:00   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
His average in the last one year is better than his career average. If you go dig the figures I am sure you would discover its not in the paltry twenties.
Here is his stats for 2007/08 season. In 9 matches, Ganguly averages 27.00.
Cricinfo Statsguru - SC Ganguly - One-Day Internationals - All-round analysis

And while his average for the whole of past 12 months has been higher than his career average as in the link below, notice that his performances against Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and England has hovered around low 30's.
Cricinfo Statsguru - SC Ganguly - One-Day Internationals - All-round analysis
Old 21st January 2008, 09:58   #3034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Yuvraj is a backbone? OK he has performed well in the last one year. He is in brilliant form. Chalo lets call him a backbone.
Lets come to Ganguly. He has been in tremendous form in the last year. And he has roughly 6 yrs of international cricket experience over Yuvraj. Plus he has captained India to a world cup final and a drawn test series in Australia. Naah, guess Ganguly is not a backbone.
I would prefer Yuvraj over Ganguly in my ODI side. Ganguly has done well with everything that you mentioned but that does not make him more useful than Yuvi in the side. But thats off topic.

I would have wanted either Ganguly or Dravid in the side and give 2 rather than 3 youngsters a try simultaneously.

Regarding Gambhir, he is in good form and deserves a start in the series; never mind his technique or the lack of it.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:19   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Sachin, Sehwag, Rohit, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Pathan, Uthappa, RPSingh, Sreesanth, Bhajji, Raina / Ishant / Chawla

This looks good - Pathan as the all rounder adds depth to the batting and we can then select the 11th player depending on the situation.

Also I would give Rohit a start before Gambhir - because he looks a far better player than Gambhir outside his off stump, not to mention his temperament which is calmer than the hot headed Gambhir.

Yuvraj, Sehwag and Dhoni have to be the fulcrum around which this side will revolve. And what better chance than to prove it against the Aussies.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st January 2008 at 10:21.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:16   #3036
BANNED

The oldies tried & tried to teach a lesson to the Aussies and have failed (1992-93, 2000 & 2004). There is no reason they will succeed again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@ NC & Diabloo: Lets wait and see what happens. But one thing is certain we need to teach those monkeys a lesson and with this team don't think it may be possible. These players are good for big hitting games (like T20). What matters is they should play the complete 50 overs and I sincerely hope they do it.
Time for Ganguly to join ICL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thats because they lost the core of their side to the ICL
Old 21st January 2008, 14:53   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Well ganguly is a good player who scores and gets out in the same region.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:23   #3038
LLL
BHPian

Well., whoever declared the team for one-days before the final test needs to be sacked. Aussie media has pounced upon the opportunity to create team friction...

Ganguly sacking sparks friction | The Australian

Quote:
In what may become an unwelcome distraction leading into the final Test in Adelaide, which starts on Thursday, reports from India claim that MS Dhoni, the Indian wicketkeeper and one-day captain, did not want the ageing Ganguly in the team.
Quote:
"What has been done is totally wrong. A grave injustice is being done to him," CAB joint secretary Samar Pal said.
"It seems Dhoni did not want him in the side. Dhoni is more comfortable with juniors so he is in favour of axing seniors."
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:33   #3039
BANNED

4th test ends on 28th. 1st ODI starts on 3rd. So those few days, you expect
  • a team to be announced,
  • selected get ready,
  • guys fly to Australia,
  • get acclimatised to Aussie weather, pitch
give me a break.

Either the team should have been announced before the start of the tour, along with the test team, or now. Anything later would be very late.

There is no dearth of mischief-makers in this country. Samar Pal seems to be one or maybe he has an eye on the elections. For Aussie media, a spark seems like a major fire.

Tell me, does CAB nominate Ganguly to the Indian team?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Well., whoever declared the team for one-days before the final test needs to be sacked. Aussie media has pounced upon the opportunity to create team friction...

Ganguly sacking sparks friction | The Australian
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:57   #3040
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
4th test ends on 28th. 1st ODI starts on 3rd. So those few days, you expect
  • a team to be announced,
  • selected get ready,
  • guys fly to Australia,
  • get acclimatised to Aussie weather, pitch
give me a break.

Either the team should have been announced before the start of the tour, along with the test team, or now. Anything later would be very late.

There is no dearth of mischief-makers in this country. Samar Pal seems to be one or maybe he has an eye on the elections. For Aussie media, a spark seems like a major fire.

Tell me, does CAB nominate Ganguly to the Indian team?
So we have 5 days to announce the team and fly them in. Or cant the "probable" guys fly out to get acclimitised?

reports suggest that ganguly and dravid are now demotivated. and trust aussie media to take advantage of the situation.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:08   #3041
BANNED

What reports? Why doesn't the report say about how Laxman, Kumble feel on not making it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
reports suggest that ganguly and dravid are now demotivated.
Old 22nd January 2008, 02:10   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What reports? Why doesn't the report say about how Laxman, Kumble feel on not making it?
Laxman,alright. But Kumble? I thought he retired from the ODI version of the game.

It might be a good move to drop Ganguly in some ways,but at the same time the other senior player ought to have been dropped. It'll be good to see the new comers perform. Thats of course,subject to them getting a chance to play.
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:23   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oldies tried & tried to teach a lesson to the Aussies and have failed (1992-93, 2000 & 2004). There is no reason they will succeed again.
Any idea why the golden-oldie has been retained? Is he going to be part of the 2011 WC playing eleven?

Or are they scared to drop him now that there is a possibility that he may be knighted lol?

Diabloo, try & be unbiased in your comments at least although you may be heavily biased in your opinions
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:43   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Come on Diabloo, Laxman runs horribly between the wickets and he has always performed poorly in ODIs. How can he be in the ODI team?
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:44   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Any idea why the golden-oldie has been retained? Is he going to be part of the 2011 WC playing eleven?

Or are they scared to drop him now that there is a possibility that he may be knighted lol?

Diabloo, try & be unbiased in your comments at least although you may be heavily biased in your opinions
Are you trying to compare Sachin with Dravid and Ganguly?

Most Viewed