Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 20:08   #136
BHPian

Re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
HDFC has been reversing all my fuel transaction promptly in a couple of days itself, Though yes i believe your card should be eligible for that to happen.
HDFC is now limiting fuel surcharge waiver to Rs. 250 per cycle. I traveled a lot in the last cycle (ending Nov 8) and found this out.
Old 26th April 2017, 17:33   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Got a message from SBI that Fuel Surcharge being only 1% ( and no more 2.5%), the waiver will also be reduced accordingly.
Old 26th April 2017, 17:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Got a message from SBI that Fuel Surcharge being only 1% ( and no more 2.5%), the waiver will also be reduced accordingly.
Yep even I received the same message. I didnt understand what it means though! When was this reduction done?
Old 26th April 2017, 18:23   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I never use a credit card at a petrol pump. You never know what happens to it when they walk away with it. They could have a small card reader to read the details from your card to clone it.
I know i quoted a 7 year old post.

But now, with demonetization and so called "cashless/digitization" of economy, do you still not carry CC to the bunk ?
Old 26th April 2017, 18:27   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I know i quoted a 7 year old post.

But now, with demonetization and so called "cashless/digitization" of economy, do you still not carry CC to the bunk ?
After demonetization I have never used cash in the petrol bunk.

But the technology has changed since the time I posted. Now credit cards are equipped with a chip, protected by PIN number. So, the original concern has been addressed.
Old 26th April 2017, 18:45   #141
Team-BHP Support

Surcharge is revised to 1% for fuel. So SBI sent me an sms mentioning that now on it would be 1% reversal.
Old 26th April 2017, 21:28   #142
Senior - BHPian

Received the same message as others regarding the reduction of surcharge from 2.5% to 1% and the resultant proportional reduction in charge reversal which is all very well. What worries me a bit is the suspicion that in a few months, the surcharge waiver will be brought to an end citing this reduction.

If banks can tax us for transacting with our own money, will card issuers/creditors fall behind?
Old 26th April 2017, 21:33   #143
Senior - BHPian

My Citi-IOC card gives me fuel surcharge waiver and also turbo points to redeem for fuel. I got this card mainly for this benefit! They haven't given me any indications of any imminent withdrawal of the same! On top of that the Govt gives me incentive to use card by returning cash to my CC a/c for using the card! What more could one want!!
Old 26th April 2017, 21:40   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After demonetization I have never used cash in the petrol bunk.

But the technology has changed since the time I posted. Now credit cards are equipped with a chip, protected by PIN number. So, the original concern has been addressed.
Even though we have CHIP and PIN here, doesn't mean card cannot be compromised! For example, most of the US based online portals don't need anything other than card number, expiry and cvv. Card number and Expiry date can be read with a card reader and CVV can be seen by whoever is handling the card.

I had posted my personal experience in credit card thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3897330
Old 26th April 2017, 21:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Even though we have CHIP and PIN here, doesn't mean card cannot be compromised! For example, most of the US based online portals don't need anything other than card number, expiry and cvv. Card number and Expiry date can be read with a card reader and CVV can be seen by whoever is handling the card.

I had posted my personal experience in credit card thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3897330
My bank pre empted this and provided me with a new card since they felt that swiping a card abroad (Malaysia) may have compromised my cards security and issued me a new card, before a fraud happened. Have been using CC for more than 2 decades; but fully agree with your feelings: Once bitten twice shy!
Old 14th December 2017, 12:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Surcharge is revised to 1% for fuel. So SBI sent me an sms mentioning that now on it would be 1% reversal.
Jaggu Sir, can you please let me know when the surcharge rate was changed from 2.5% to 1%? Actually, while going through my credit card (HDFC) statements last week, I came to know that I have been charged 2.5% of the transaction amount as surcharge, but only 1% was reversed by the bank, strangely, only for 4 transactions. The bank website states that, they will reverse only 1% of the transaction amount, effective February 2017. However, the surcharge amount may vary depending on the understanding between the fuel dealer (bunk) and their banker. The same was reiterated by the call center staff when I had called them seeking clarification.
So if there is a notification issued by the Government of India regarding the change of surcharge rate from 2.5% to 1%, I intend to take it up strongly with the banks and ask for a refund for the amount they have charged extra.

Interestingly, in my other credit card (Citi-IOC), I haven't faced any issues; although I use it while filling up in IOC bunks with Citi EDC machines ONLY

Regards,

Samish
Old 14th December 2017, 13:59   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Jaggu Sir, can you please let me know when the surcharge rate was changed from 2.5% to 1%?
I have not be following this lately since my Citi IOC card is working better compared to the SBI card, with a quick reversal without having to wait for monthly statement etc.

To answer to your specific question on date, it should be near to the date of the earlier post i made, which was in April.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks