Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 15:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Till recently I had been using HSBC gold card for fuel purchase since it had a fuel sucharge waiver and then came Stanchart which was offering me 5 reward points for every rs 100 spent on fuel purchase. Dumped the HSBC and started using Stanchart.
Actually had a Stanchart Gold which was recently upgraded to Platinum, hence the usage.
Old 27th July 2010, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Few months ago, Indian Oil outlets would not accept Citibank CC. Citibank had a Indian Oil card and the outlets would pre-empt you from using it.
I've always been filling fuel at an IndianOil bunk near my house and invariably been using my Citibank Titanium Credit Card. Not once was I discouraged from using it.

I also got Rs 2000 worth of fuel over the past 2 years from its turbo points. I've not got any such notice from Citibank.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

I want to clarify my first post: You will NOT get any phone call/ SMS regarding the withdrawing of these benefits. Always look closely your monthly statements for such notes, or better still, take confirmation from Customer care, ask if the benefits are still valid.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

These are bound to happen. These were introduced for making people to USE the cards and get addicted. They never know about us

Anyway, even the "free for life" cards will one day go off. As we can see its already gone for some of the high end cards from same ICICI.

Btw, you need to pay extra transaction money if you do more than specific transaction across the counter in banks. Why? Because they encourage you to use Debit card / atm card etc.

Now, why do you think they charge Rs100+ [and also service tax for this] for these cards? Is it not to their advantage?

At the end of the day, consumer is the one who will lose and entity is the one which will benefit.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

My HDFC CC still works on petrol bunks without any additional charges. Carrying cash around is a headache and with a CC is very easy to track your spending.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:28   #21
BHPian

I use a HDFC Platinum Card and have not heard of the surcharge waiver being revoked.
and I also use a ICICI HP card to refuel.
I doubt if they can revoke the surcharge benefit from the HP ICICI card. that will just beat the purpose of the ICICI HPCL collaboration. I make sure I always go to HP station and my card has never been refused though its a different story that most of the times their ICICI swipe machines are out of order or very slow in transmitting.

Plus its going to be a headache always carrying cash.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

I used SCB Titanium for a couple of years which in addition to service charge waiver offered 2.5% discount also which was really good. At the time of renewal SCB gave me an upgrade in the context that they are not issuing Titanium and the new card did not have this facility.
The Maruti Citibank co-card waives fuel use surcharge but that card was stopped and Maruti now has tie up with SBI. Citibank replaced me with a gold card which waives surcharge. They have recently offered Titanium with these facilities waiver as well as discount.
Perhaps Bank to Bank there is difference in extending customer benefits.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai : I never use a credit card at a petrol pump. You never know what happens to it when they walk away with it. They could have a small card reader to read the details from your card to clone it.
That is more likely (since easier) to happen in restaurants etc. The pumps I visit have the readers kept on a seperate table, and I am able to walk up to the table while the attendent swipes the card. I dont see anything else on those tables at these bunks.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I want to clarify my first post: You will NOT get any phone call/ SMS regarding the withdrawing of these benefits. Always look closely your monthly statements for such notes, or better still, take confirmation from Customer care, ask if the benefits are still valid.
You are absolutely right. The bottom of my Credit Card statement reads as follows!

IMPORTANT MESSAGES

W.e.f. July 1, 2010, you will earn 1 i-mint points on every Rs, 100 spent.
W.e.f. July 1, 2010 - you will start earning i-mint points directly on your credit card spends.
For details on i-mint rewards, please log on to iMint - Portal
W.e.f. July 1, 2010, the fuel surcharge waiver* would be applicable only on HPCL petrol pumps.
*If the payment is made by swiping the card on ICICI Bank swipe machines

Time to use my City BANK Titanium CC, at least I can collect Turbo Points.

Regards

Vinu
Old 27th July 2010, 21:16   #25
BHPian

Can any one please confirm this for HDFC Platinum cards. There website still talks about fuel surcharge wavier. The last paper statement that I got, I threw away even without opening. (I prefer to archive e-statements).

Regards,
Old 27th July 2010, 21:21   #26
BHPian

Hi Amohit

I received HDFC Platinum card last month and fuel surcharge wavier is still applicable on this card.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
W.e.f. July 1, 2010, the fuel surcharge waiver* would be applicable only on HPCL petrol pumps.
The point to note is

Quote:
*If the payment is made by swiping the card on ICICI Bank swipe machines
How do we keep track off all these nonsense
Old 28th July 2010, 12:40   #28
BHPian

I have HDFC Platinum plus mastercard.
I used to get feusl waiver inmmediately ina day or two after transaction.
TOday i noticed HDFC has charged my card with about 7 8 lines of debit transaction with description liek "SURCH1500 MUMBAI MAH "

no listing anywhere on hdc site for sercharge waiver revoke.

HDFC has joined the gang. Bloody hell

worst part is hdfc is my corporate reimbursement card . my company get a report of my fuel spending and reimburses me with the same. now unnecessarilyI have to pay surcharge and yet not get refund of the same.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:48   #29
BHPian

Hi guys,

thank you for your very useful replies-though I have one i have never used for fuel but for other purchases.

Regards,
Col J H Mayne
Old 28th July 2010, 12:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What exactly is this fuel surcharge ? I could never understand the logic.

Who benefits from this surcharge - the oil company or the bank ?

Why is this surcharge levied at all ?
While settling payment to merchant establishments the CC company will discount it by about 2% or so. This is their "spread" or commission. Apparently oil marketing companies and railways (unless it is a co-branded card) do not agree for this discounting and therefore it is added to the charge incurred by the card user.

As of now there is no charge for my Citibank Platinum card if used at IOC pumps. My HDFC Bank Platinum card has a different facility - no surcharge at any pump if I fill fuel for a minimum of Rs 450.00. There is an upper limit as well which I can't remember. So far both banks are continuing the facility.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th July 2010 at 12:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks