Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 22:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hear three professions are on the credit card black (or should it be dark grey) lists - lawyers, police officers and politicians
Adding few more that I know - actors or people associated with cine industry, people working in harbor.

Quote:
The oil dealers are always cribbing about near zero margins
Then why do they have so many people working on the fuel station? Why not allow 1 dispenser per person?
Old 1st August 2010, 01:14   #47
BHPian

I've HDFC Gold Card, and till date my waiver is Intact.
I always use my card for fuel cause It gives me petrol expenses in statement and
at the time of filing IT Returns, its easy to show the C.A. about the petrol expense.

If the bank stops the petrol benefit, i would have to hunt some other way to fund my fuel needs.
Old 1st August 2010, 01:44   #48
BANNED

HDFC has recently upgraded my card from Platinum plus to HDFC world card with information that its their highest premium card. Really need to check if it has petrol surcharge waiver.

As of now i am better of with my Standard Chartard card.
Old 1st August 2010, 04:29   #49
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Another case related to the surcharge waiver, I have a Deutche bank platinum credit card using which I bought diesel for Rs.500 from an indian oil pump on 17th July. The bill from the swiping machine also reflected the same amount. But on checking the credit card transaction online, I found that an amount of Rs.513.80 was charged for the same fuel purchase. And then, there was another transaction as well which showed a waiver of Rs.12.53 towards surcharge waiver. In effect I lost Rs.1.30(513.8 - 12.50) by using the credit card. It is not the amount of money lost that concerns me, but the hidden excess charge which was not mentioned even in the bill generated on the swiping machine. On inquiring, this is the response which I got,

The service tax associated with the surcharge amount is levied by the acquiring bank and hence, we will be unable to reverse the service tax.

now what has happened here? Especially the third point in bold which is for some reason beyond me and also why the excess amount was not mentioned in the bill from swiping machine?
Even in my Axis Bank Gold Credit Card, I face the same issue. But, some fuel pumps charge the service tax and some do not. If the service tax is charged, it will not be reversed. On the contrary, my Axis Bank Priority Debit Card reverses the entire amount including service tax. So, nowadays, I use my Axis Bank Priority Debit Card for my fuel purchases.

Old 1st August 2010, 21:48   #50
BHPian

I have been using cc for filling up for last 7 years with citibank indian oil card and till Feb'10 with Deutsche bank, however DB withdrew the 0% surcharge policy i stopped using their CC . now have applied for HDFC platinium card to avail their 0% surcharge.
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Folks

I was rudely shocked to know that HSBC has withdrawn its fuel surcharge waiver from this year March or April. I was not aware of this, and I got this information only when I contacted them.

I believe they now charge Rs 249 a year for this facility. Are other banks also doing the same?
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Earlier I had SCB Titanium card which in addition to waiver of fuel surcharge was offering cash back on fuel purchases. Probably on seeing my higher usage for fuel, two and a half years ago issued a manhattan card which doesn't waive fuel surcharge leave alone give cash back.
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am using Indian Oil CITIBANK card for the last 7 years where i get the SC waiver whenever i fill at IOC pumps. But last month when I tanked up at an IOC outlet, I was charged Rs. 52 additionally without it being shown separately. I had to email CITI and then get the 52 credited back to my account after 33 days without any explanation why it happened in the first place.
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:50   #54
BHPian

This is probably Off Topic but last week I filled petrol at the IOC pump in yeshwantpur and paid through my debit card ICICI bank.

I filled for rs 500 on 14/11/2011 and on 19/11/2011 a charge of rs 13.52 was deducted from my account to the same petrol pump. Can anyone tell me what charge is this??

Thank you
Old 24th November 2011, 02:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
This is probably Off Topic but last week I filled petrol at the IOC pump in yeshwantpur and paid through my debit card ICICI bank.

I filled for rs 500 on 14/11/2011 and on 19/11/2011 a charge of rs 13.52 was deducted from my account to the same petrol pump. Can anyone tell me what charge is this??

Thank you
You are charged 2.5% charge for using the card.

Now , before we go on to blame icici, I have seen all debit cards to charge a fee. Some credit cards do not charge - notably hsbc and hdfc. Again not all cards are eligible for fee surcharge waiver. Secondly even these cards charge the fee but refund it later (hsbc does it in the next statement cycle while hdfc does it the next day. )
Old 24th November 2011, 02:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang

You are charged 2.5% charge for using the card.

Now , before we go on to blame icici, I have seen all debit cards to charge a fee. Some credit cards do not charge - notably hsbc and hdfc. Again not all cards are eligible for fee surcharge waiver. Secondly even these cards charge the fee but refund it later (hsbc does it in the next statement cycle while hdfc does it the next day. )
Thanks for the info. I just needed to know what that charge was since this was the first time I used my debit card to pay for petrol.

Not blaming the bank here

Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 10:30   #57
BHPian

I have HDFC platinum credit card. Bank still offers petrol surcharge waiver for trainsaction between Rs. 400 and Rs. 4000. However full surcharge waiver is applicable only if card is used on Bharat Petrolium bunks and card is swipped only on HDFC machine on the petrol pump. If card is swipped on other banks machine, service taxes are deducted from waiver amount.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:26   #58
BHPian

I think there are changes happening all around. On my citibank credit card, the cashback has been reduced (effective next month) from 2.5% on all weekend purchases to just 0.5%. Was looking around to see if there area any better alternatives and seems all banks are a similar structure in place now.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am using Indian Oil CITIBANK card for the last 7 years where i get the SC waiver whenever i fill at IOC pumps. But last month when I tanked up at an IOC outlet, I was charged Rs. 52 additionally without it being shown separately. I had to email CITI and then get the 52 credited back to my account after 33 days without any explanation why it happened in the first place.
The waiver is applicable only if the card is swiped on a Citibank machine. The waiver is also applicable across all Citibank cards.

I recently was upgraded to a Platinum card and it has no IndianOil affiliation, yet i got a waiver when it was swiped at an IOC outlet (on the citibank machine). The chargeslip will clearly mention the waiver amount (example - total amount - Rs. xx.yy and in the next line fuel surcharge waiver - Rs. xx.yy).
Old 24th November 2011, 13:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
I have HDFC platinum credit card. Bank still offers petrol surcharge waiver for trainsaction between Rs. 400 and Rs. 4000. However full surcharge waiver is applicable only if card is used on Bharat Petrolium bunks and card is swipped only on HDFC machine on the petrol pump. If card is swipped on other banks machine, service taxes are deducted from waiver amount.
I regularly use the HDFC Visa Signature card at Shell and it is swiped on the Axis Bank machine. I still get full waiver of the surcharge. For amounts > Rs 400.00, of course!

The day banks do away with this and annual fee waiver, I will get rid of my credit cards for good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks