Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 22:29   #121
rkg
Senior - BHPian

re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You just have to write to them. They will reverse everything. True, it is bad that they don't do it all automatically. I take a bill every time I fill up my car, and reconcile my card statement against the bill. Takes me about 30 mins a month, which I consider time well spent, since I fill up north of 10K in petrol a month.
If the EDC belongs to HDFC , entire amount is credited back

If it another bank EDC , this amount (service tax on transaction fee) is not reversed

Whereas Stan chart reverses entire amount irrespective of EDC machine + gives you 2.5% cash back.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
If the EDC belongs to HDFC , entire amount is credited back

If it another bank EDC , this amount (service tax on transaction fee) is not reversed
That is simply not true. It would be illegal to do so (collect service tax on a transaction where there is no chargeable service). HDFC Bank will refund you the service tax in such cases.

This is from the email correspondence I have had with HDFC Bank on this matter.

Quote:
We would like to clarify that the difference of amount reversed on your card account towards the petrol transaction is due to service tax component of the transaction. For all eligible transactions, the surcharge and service tax gets reversed to the card account as and when the transaction is done. We also do our periodic internal checks to ensure the same. In the rare instance when the service component is not reversed, we ensure necessary corrective action is taken at our end.
As I mentioned earlier, I spend about 30 minutes every month with my card statement and fuel fill bills. This is the formula I use:

Billed amount = A
Service charge, B = A x 2.5%
Service tax, C = B x 12.36%
Amount in HDFC statement as debit = A + B + C
Credit entries in HDFC statement - separate entries for B and C (in my case)

If I do not see both B and C in the credit side, then I raise the matter with them and they resolve it. B is unknown, C has happened to me but very rarely.
Old 12th April 2013, 19:17   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is the formula I use:

Billed amount = A
Service charge, B = A x 2.5%
Service tax, C = B x 12.36%
Amount in HDFC statement as debit = A + B + C
Credit entries in HDFC statement - separate entries for B and C (in my case)

If I do not see both B and C in the credit side, then I raise the matter with them and they resolve it. B is unknown, C has happened to me but very rarely.
Your calculation is absolutely correct and I too do the same exercise every month for the fuel transactions.
However since January 2013, there is about 3 or 4 paisa extra charge per transaction while reversing the surcharge and service tax.
I raised this issue with ICICI but there is no resolution and have left it.
This did not happen for the last 7 years of usage.
In case of Citi Bank and IOC Pumps, there is no entry of surcharge and hence no service tax.
Simple and straight forward arrangement by Citi Bank with IOC Pumps.
Old 13th April 2013, 09:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
However since January 2013, there is about 3 or 4 paisa extra charge per transaction while reversing the surcharge and service tax.
I write that off as rounding error (because it is invariably in my favour :-) But you are probably right, there is some mistake in the software code at the bank's end. Here is one of my recent fills (HP, Brookefield, 23/3):

Filled qty: 29.15 ltr @ 74.57 = 2173.72. This is what HP charged my card (as per chargeslip/bill from the pump).

Entry in HDFC statement = 2234.78
Credit entry #1 (Srv. charge) = 54.52
Credit entry #2 (ST) = 6.74
Net fuel cost for me = 2234.78 - (54.52 + 6.74) = 2173.52

Net, I am good to the tune of 20p. :-)

Since I already pay HDFC bank a lot of money unnecessarily (Rs. 5 per NEFT, for example) I consider these among those small things that makes one feel one has won a major battle against a big business.
Old 28th August 2014, 12:57   #125
BHPian

I wrote an email to HDFC bank customer redressal cell to credit back the Service tax on petrol fuel surcharge. Asked them to put a process in place, as I cant write an email to them for every petrol transaction. Now it is time to follow up with Axis Bank. Why do these companies resort to these cheap tricks? The net monetary benefit is negated by the erosion of brand name, trust.
I guess they feel it is worth taking a risk as most Customers do not notice or dont have patience/time to follow up. For me it is a matter of principle, not the amount.
They cant charge me a service tax when the fuel surcharge itself is waived off. I rest my case.
Old 18th July 2015, 21:01   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

SBI Card used to waive the surcharge of 2.5%. Now they have limited the waiver to 100 Rs per month. Looks like time to go for a co-branded card ?
Old 27th January 2016, 18:22   #127
BHPian

condor, try Axis, Indusind, HDFC. Their thereshold is 400 rs per month for fuel surcharge waiver. You can buy upto 12,000 worth of fuel.
I cancelled my SBI after they started monkeying around with my data. Got phishing calls regarding card upgrade, discount card, holidays offer etc.
I feel HDFC credit card is transparent among the lot. NO good offers though :-)
Old 27th January 2016, 18:31   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
condor, try Axis, Indusind, HDFC.
You just replied to a 7 month old post.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:35   #129
BHPian

Yes, at least I did that. Others did not even respond or help :-) Der hai, lekin andher nahi :-)
Old 6th October 2016, 14:37   #130
Senior - BHPian

Re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

I've started using my debit card recently at fuel pumps. I stopped using for several years - surcharge was one reason , security and card cloning was another concern. Since I use a chip card now, the cloning concerns have been addressed. It's also convenient not to carry cash all the while - particularly in the long drives that I do.

I've seen in my recent usage that nowhere card surcharge was applied. I have a plain debit card from my bank. Has surcharge been waived for all types of cards ? Credit and Debit ? Across all banks ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 6th October 2016 at 14:39.
Old 6th October 2016, 14:58   #131
BHPian

Re: New trend: Credit card companies withdrawing fuel surcharge waiver and more!

Hi,

I don't use much of credit or debit cards at fuel pumps, but I recently used my credit and debit card twice. Taking a guess here. If my card is from ICICI and the POS machine is also an ICICI one, the whole tamasha of surcharge and reversal doesn't happen. At least, that is what happened with me.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've started using my debit card recently at fuel pumps. I stopped using for several years - surcharge was one reason , security and card cloning was another concern. Since I use a chip card now, the cloning concerns have been addressed. It's also convenient not to carry cash all the while - particularly in the long drives that I do.

I've seen in my recent usage that nowhere card surcharge was applied. I have a plain debit card from my bank. Has surcharge been waived for all types of cards ? Credit and Debit ? Across all banks ?
Old 8th October 2016, 17:19   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
...I don't use much of credit or debit cards at fuel pumps, but I recently used my credit and debit card twice. Taking a guess here. If my card is from ICICI and the POS machine is also an ICICI one, the whole tamasha of surcharge and reversal doesn't happen. At least, that is what happened with me....
I think the card needs to be a 'petro' branded co-card to be eligible for the waiver. I have an ICICI HPCL card where I get the waiver in all HP pumps. If I use the same card in BPCL, I don't get the waiver.
Old 9th October 2016, 02:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

HDFC has been reversing all my fuel transaction promptly in a couple of days itself, Though yes i believe your card should be eligible for that to happen.
Old 9th October 2016, 10:08   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think the card needs to be a 'petro' branded co-card to be eligible for the waiver. I have an ICICI HPCL card where I get the waiver in all HP pumps. If I use the same card in BPCL, I don't get the waiver.
Yes. You are right - But even in HP petrol bunks, you'll get the waiver ONLY if the card is swiped in ICICI Bank's EDC machine. If it get swiped in any other banks machine, no waiver! The same is true with Citibank and Indianoil petrol bunks.

One reason why I Prefer my HDFC Regalia - I can use it in any petrol bunk and swipe in any banks EDC machine, still I get the waiver. But even they have started on their cutbacks - no more reward points for fuel purchase from last April.
Old 12th October 2016, 17:33   #135
BHPian

Hi,

I don't have 'petro' branded cards and that is why I have been reluctant to use them. I have ICICI debit and credit cards and I filled up at Shell petrol pump both times. To my surprise, I was not charged anything extra.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks