Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 10:29   #46
BHPian

My mom bangs her Maruti 800 every week, even while pulling out from parking slot, her average speed is 80-90 kmph on highway. Amazing God's blessing is that though she has +4 eyesight, she may forget her glasses at home, her distance vision will be hazzy yet she will continue driving in the same pattern. She brushed a school girl a month back and drove away, luckily no action was taken. She was involved in another acccident a decade ago where she knocked 2 girls of marriageable age, ran from the spot and later the girl's family lodged a police complain, the family was good enough to withdraw back the complain after knowing Mummy's driving licence had expired at the time of accident. My Mom and my younger sister, use the IRVM for cosmetic makeup and ORVM always folded. They honk in silent zone, even challenge co-motorists and get away with the excuse of honking. They always drive on high beam. They never carry vehicle's documents. My Mother-in-law has learnt driving recently, lets wait for some more text to appear here.

Its fun to watch the video.

Beware of women drivers Video, Video clips, Featured videos: Rediff Videos
Old 28th July 2010, 10:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I believe that this is more deeeply rooted wherein guys are made to play with toy cars and guns and gals play with dolls. Not sure what the outcome would have been if we had reversed the process...
LOL !! then going by the number of men vs women ratio, we would have had 1000s of Barbie manufacturing plants in India Tata would have acquired a doll maker in UK and so on .. would have been interesting though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
PROLOGUE : This had to happen one day!! I HAD to write about women drivers (in the Indian context). So here I go.

Hi Guys!!

I would like to take up the cause of women drivers on our roads.

Kindly note:

1. DRIVING EXPERTISE : I would like to inform you that we can handle the Steering Wheel and shift gears with as much dexterity as we can stir dal and roll out chapatis

2. READINGS ON THE DIALS : We can comprehend the readings on the dials in dash, i.e., we know what speed the car is running at; how much fuel remains in the tank; total mileage covered by the vehicle; whether the engine is heating up, cabin temperature etc. etc.

:3. CLUTCH & BRAKE & GEARS et al : We know that the Clutch HAS to be pressed while changing gears and to prevent momentum from being broken on lower speeds. We DO NOT enjoy putting a foot on the Clutch unnecessarily (expensive time pass!!). We DO NOT Brake if not required in the middle of the road. We KNOW the positioning of each Gear; and the speed we need to attain to shift to the next one

4. FUEL RELATED : Women play safe and refuel the vehicle before the tank empties completely on a desolate road in the middle of nowhere. By the way, we KNOW the various variants of Fuel available at the pumps

5. AIR PRESSURE & TYRES: We ensure the right pressure is maintained in the tyres for a better fuel efficiency and better engine life. We also ensure regular wheel alignment for longer tyre life

6. EXTERIORS & INTERIORS : Women are more aware of cleanliness; and our vehicles reflect the same sentiment – sparkling exteriors & spick’n’span interiors

7. MAINTENANCE & SERVICE : We NEVER postpone a Service and our vehicles are nurtured in a way we would nurture a relationship

8. BAD WOMEN DRIVERS : Are less common than Bad Men Drivers

9. SPEEDING : We LOVE to speed but not at the cost of being bad mannered on the road. RACING : Hmmm....can be considered occassionally.

10. IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT : Being invloved in a hit’n’run case is a big NO. Heavens forbid, if we are involved in an accident, we would claim full responsibility for the same and not vanish from the scene like a creep. You see, we have a conscience to live with!!

11. ROAD MANNERS : No matter how much the traffic behind us may honk, we will always let the elderly, small children and students cross the road

12. FLAT TYRES : I admit, we are NOT too good at it; but are learning to do this with minimal help

We would also like you guys to know that we are fully aware and know when………...

1. The guy in the vehicle on the left at the Stop Light has been following us for the last 15+ kms.

2. The Uncles & Aunties of the colony label us “fast” if we speed

3. The car cleaner gives us a dubious reputation in the neighbourhood since he discovered a harmless beer can in the dashboard after a picnic

4. The mechanic tries to con us into replacing the Clutch Plates each year saying it is a must for women drivers (whoa!!)

5. The guy at the filling station tries to refuel the Vehicle with “Normal” fuel instead of “SPEED”, while charging for the latter

6. The local car buy / sell agent works out “ONLY FOR YOU MADAM” offers on vehicle exchange that would leave us neck deep in debt for the next 5 years ……………..

the list is rather big but I will stop here. We KNOW all these and choose to feign ignorance since we just do not have the time to get into altercations every day. So guys, grow up!! Recognise us for our capabilities…DRIVING BEING ONE OF THEM.

Relax....don't stare at us on the road. Do you see us staring at all men on the road??

EPILOGUE : I am not a feminist or a women’s rights activist. Just a professional who drives to and from work on the male infested roads of Delhi.

DISCLAIMER : If this post sounds familiar, this is a modification of my thoughts shared on a different site some 5 years ago.

Cheers
SM
So, How about replacing We with I ?? I think you have written YOUR OPINION/THOUGHTS, which cannot be generalized for all women/men !

I agree my wife does quite a lot of things better than me, even riding the scooter DIO, but when it comes to reaching a destination in time, safe & sound, its the SKILL what matters & NOT Gender. Basically, it depends on where you learn?, how you learnt? etc

I have seen worst men drivers who attended driving classes for a month & still hopelessly drive around.

Quote:
Relax....don't stare at us on the road. Do you see us staring at all men on the road??
Be positive ! They might be staring for a reason, either the woman is beautiful or driving really bad (most of the time this is the reason).

I stare at lot of maniacs (both men & women) who suddenly creep in out of nowhere, start blocking my way, crazy maneuvering etc, atleast to make them realize they aren't driving good.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:38   #48
BHPian

Oh well, well, well, Goodmorning to all,

Firstly guys....peace!!

Secondly, as a member of the minority community (of women drivers), which is growing everyday, I wanted to highlight some pre-conceived notions wrt women drivers. The way not ALL men are good drivers, likewise not ALL women are bad drivers.

In my locality itself, I can identify at least 6 good / excellent women behind the steering.

Thirdly, I had approached my communication with a touch of humor (on behalf of all women drivers).....kindly appreciate.

Fourthly, I have seen a lot of posts on women drivers, with some pictures to boot, so I just decided to express my views on the matter.

Am heading to a meeting to discuss hiring plans.

Cheers till I come back.

Regards to all
SM
Old 28th July 2010, 10:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

At last the lady speaks and spoken well too. Lets give some space to the ladies on T-BHP to express themselves.

Hope Sugeeta you have taken all the comments in the right stride and not discouraged by them.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wow, wow and wow!
I have never seen so many replies for just 1 post.
People - kindly cool down and try not to take things personally. Stick to the spirit of tbhp!
I am tagging this thread for an entertaining read every now and then.

Last edited by blackasta : 28th July 2010 at 10:56.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

When I joined driving school to learn car driving, the first tip given to me by my driving instructor was - Always maintain safe distance from female drivers, most accidents are caused because of them. I couldn't agree more.

I always maintain safe distance from lady driven vehicles, 2-wheelers as well as 4-wheelers. I even take some time to observe their driving habits, it cheers me up every time. The latest incident which I can recollect was with a lady driving an Alto. I was on my bike and following her from a safe distance and observing her driving. I was in the left lane and she was in the right lane, so I could observe her clearly. She did not disappoint me. She completely took her eyes off the road for half a minute and started arranging flowers on the dashboard. She had no idea that the car was slowly straying to the right side. She was about to hit the divider when she realised it and the suddenly took corrective action.

The biggest problem with most women drivers is that they are compulsive multi-taskers. According to them, it is a waste of time to concentrate completely on the road while driving. So they generally try to club other activities along with driving. Activities like talking on the mobile, talking to front passenger involving full eye contact with the passenger, facial expressions and hand gestures (and hence taking eyes off the road and hands off the controls), applying makeup and even eating while driving. I have personally seen women perform these activities while driving. Even men chit-chat while driving, but they keep their eyes on the road and hands on the controls.

I have also seen several nervous female drivers driving a scooterette with their legs hanging down for the fear of loosing balance. They use their legs as training wheels. Men definitely do not drive 2-wheelers with both legs hanging down.

The OP may be a good driver, but she is more of an exception than the rule. Most women I have seen driving are accidents waiting to happen.

Women drivers know how to operate the ABC, but most of them don't have any road sense. They drive as if they own the road, showing no compassion for fellow drivers on the road. Also, most women drivers park their 4-wheelers in a very shoddy manner occupying more than one parking spot. They are totally inconsiderate about others.

Like someone mentioned above, most women drivers (and women pedestrians) are completely unaware of their surroundings. They are too self-centred and totally inconsiderate about fellow road users.

Till date, I have never seen a woman driver accept her fault after an accident. They either blame the other guy or start crying to gain public sympathy. The onlookers are too happy to help the damsel in distress and bash up the other party, even if it was the lady's mistake.

Women are more concerned about cosmetic appearance of their vehicle, rather than the internal health of the vehicle. The car may be cleaned everyday (by someone else, obviously), but ask the lady when was the last time engine oil was changed and the reply would be - What engine oil ? Car runs on petrol not oil.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 13:00. Reason: Removing quoted post which is on the way to deletion
Old 28th July 2010, 11:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
When I joined driving school to learn car driving, the first tip given to me by my driving instructor was - Always maintain safe distance from female drivers, most accidents are caused because of them. I couldn't agree more.
I wouldn't agree that more accidents are caused by woman drivers but..

You need to be careful while going behind a lady driver because chances are that she is not at all aware what's happening behind. You'll honk and she may think that you are complementing her.

I am yet to see a woman driver responding (in any kind of way - good or bad) to a vehicle approaching from behind.

No disrespect to the thread starter or woman drivers in here, you folks may be an exception and that's why you're here!

Testosterone hormone is responsible for providing good spatial skills - an important attribute you should have for displaying good driving skills.

Quote:
In fact, the highest (within sex) spatial ability is found in females with (for females) well above average testosterone, and in males with (for males) below average testosterone.
Some may find this as utter crap but I have to say it:
Women also have some amount of testosterone in them (as men having Estrogen in them), but less compared to men, but the levels vary from individual to individual and I believe it is those woman with slightly higher levels of this hormone who show superior driving skills than the rest.

Dexterity in operating controls like steering and gear levers and good driving skills are two different things. Of course you need the first one to develop the second.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th July 2010 at 11:45.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. I have tinted windows in my car, so you will never catch me staring at women.
Hehe, so do i. But sometimes the temptation to roll the window down and get a clear view is very tough to resist

BTW, where is Thad??

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Don't you guys think its lack of experience and exposure that makes them (not all) not so proficient as guys are?
Who wouldn't love to see more ladies on the road?
Very Valid Point!! The inherent distrust in a female's driving ability makes it even more difficult for them to get proper exposure.

Last edited by amitoj : 28th July 2010 at 11:37.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Don't you guys think its lack of experience and exposure that makes them (not all) not so proficient as guys are?
Old 28th July 2010, 11:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Cool down, it's not that bad a post by the new member. I've read and re-read the original post and it doesn't sound feminist to me. It's just that one member is trying to break a generalization that we normally have in mind about female drivers. Take it in a good spirit( atleast till the point OP replies back with some stronger words or something like that) as of now and keep the spirit of the forum (allowing newbie's to be comfortable with the community).
My words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Secondly, as a member of the minority community (of women drivers), which is growing everyday, I wanted to highlight some pre-conceived notions wrt women drivers. The way not ALL men are good drivers, likewise not ALL women are bad drivers.

Thirdly, I had approached my communication with a touch of humor (on behalf of all women drivers).....kindly appreciate.
Some members got your point in humor and some members.......:.

But, please don't stop to put your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
At last the lady speaks and spoken well too. Lets give some space to the ladies on T-BHP to express themselves.

Hope Sugeeta you have taken all the comments in the right stride and not discouraged by them.
My words

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Again my words.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:51   #56
BHPian

In the land of woman president, woman speaker, de-facto woman prime minister/president of the largest/oldest party, woman chief minister in the largest state, woman opposition leader in lok sabha, woman leader poised on removing the red bastion in West Bengal - More BHP to them. My appeal to all men, back-off;-}
========
And, what's this all fuss about locking the thread? By that count, all posts terming sales/service guys as morons, entire financial industry as cheats etc etc should be banned.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest problem with most women drivers is that they are compulsive multi-taskers.
I agree

Not just while driving..
even at office you will find the gal sitting next to you
simultaneously chat on a cell phone, type into multiple instant messengers, answer the intercom, adjust her dress/hair,etc
and all this while entering some work related data into an excel sheet.

Last edited by Daewood : 28th July 2010 at 13:12.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:25   #58
BHPian

Dudes... I would say, just chill!

This was an article written by a member here, and she was not asking for instances of bad or good driving by women. Man, everyone is jumping at the article. Just read, enjaaiii and move on.

Russell Peters is right about us Indians and our sense of humour!
Old 28th July 2010, 13:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
How come you came to know that we stare at you, if you don't stare at us?

Welcome to forum and have a nice stay.

You can attribute it to Peripheral vision.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:07   #60
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Being completely fair and objective, lets admit a few things( and these are based on my exp of years on the road)
Women drivers do end up making the strangest mistakes on the road, driving does not come that natural to all of them
That said, there are so many idiots we can see on the roads, men mostly who just drive the way they feel like, complete ignoring the rules, so what about that? They are a bigger menace to us than a few who make mistakes more out of being less confident/extra careful
I have seen so many times, seeing a lady drive, guys just think they can boss around more, trying to overtake rashly etc, so clearly a lady driver is subject to more pressure than men on the roads.
We are very much biased in our opinion and its not baseless but then its a fact that when it comes to a lady driver, certain notions exist in all minds
Overall ever since my wife started driving, i learnt that i should also be tolerant and more patient with lady drivers, wish more can be the same. My message: if someone really wants to vent out their irritation, do that to that moron who jumps the signal and not a lady who is just being extra careful since she is really scared on the road. If we have more women drivers, we will surely have less of signal jumpers, people driving on pavements etc etc. These are just my 2 cents.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks