Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which type of Gearshift would you prefer?
Manual Floorshift 29 67.44%
Manual Column mounted 0 0%
Paddle Shift 12 27.91%
Standard Automatic 1 2.33%
Tiptronic or other 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2005, 20:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which type of gearbox would u prefer?

These days, there are lots of options with the gearbox while buying a car like paddle-shifts, auto, tiptronic etc...so which one would u like to have in ur car?
Old 14th November 2005, 20:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Paddle shift is my kind of thing. Especially the DSG from VW! Second would be the fully manual.
Old 14th November 2005, 21:03   #3
BHPian

Manual Manaual manuaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll. If its Driving or Riding Bike its always good to be in control of what you wanna do.

and yes RWD please!!!!

PS That includes Bikes toooo.
Old 14th November 2005, 21:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes out to the floormount manual. The paddleshift looks cool, but nutin comes close to the good ol' manual..
Old 14th November 2005, 21:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

For everyday use CVT
For racing paddle shift/tip tronic
Old 14th November 2005, 21:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

It is not what it is but how it is done

A paddleshift/tiptronic is useless if it shifts in a laggardly manner and again a slow manual box is tedious - Auto Mercs are a better bet than a manual one - not sure if latest mercs are an improvement

Back to the question - DSG sounds good and best of both worlds although have yet to try one. Case of give and take - a good auto can respond to your foot and you can focus on balancing the car. You can use your under employed left hand to steer more accurately.

Manual gearboxes are fun as you have direct control to make the engine sing and well...its a phallic thing, I guess !

I suppose, I cannot and did not answer the question, the only answer is that a bad manual box is better than a bad auto box. End of the day - it depends on the package and the application
Old 14th November 2005, 22:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

manual, mid engined, rear wheel drive, no traction control or ESP, just ABS and limited slip diffrential. Now thats my perfect car configuration.
Old 14th November 2005, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why wouldnt anyone want paddle shifters when it allows you "both hands on the steering" control??? Infact, I feel it will avoid one hand on the gear related mishaps... Ofcos other alternative is auto but personally I wouldnt prefer it even if I had just one hand
Old 14th November 2005, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I love the paddle shifts on exotics.

But, when it comes to racing, there's nothing like a manual floorshift with a short shifting kit.
Old 14th November 2005, 23:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

manual

manual transmission with the traditional floor-shifter does it for me any day.

automatic transmission, though very non-strenous to drive, does not even come close to the thrill and excitement of a manual - everybody knows this, except the americans, ofcourse. perfect for bumper-to-bumper traffic driving.

paddle shift, in my opinion, is a worthless option suitable only for race cars. nobody uses it in day-to-day life. it's just an expensive option which lets one boast. duh! whats the point? you don't need micro-second gearshifts unless you're on the track.

tiptronic, though giving one a certain "manual" control over the gearbox, can never equal a true manual. the car determines when you can shift - what the hell, its an automatic.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2005 at 23:09. Reason: modifying content
Old 14th November 2005, 23:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Floor mounted manual gearshift with short throws. I'm quite happy taking corners with one hand on the wheel and the other on the stick, ready to shift...
Old 14th November 2005, 23:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

no-brainer: manual all the way;

but would like a paddle shift if the car can attain, maintain and tackle different velocities at which the system may prove itself to be useful...

by the way, are there any modern column-shift manuals in production..??
Old 14th November 2005, 23:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

manual column

just to add to my post above, the manual column-mounted gearbox was an interesting concept and had a certain charm of its own.
though it belongs to the dark ages, it brings back sweet memories of the Ambassador, the Fiat 1100 and the Premier Padmini.
the floor-shift model took away the charm of the old chariots and made them commoner material.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2005 at 23:53.
Old 15th November 2005, 00:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

for me i definitly has to be the manual floorshift.the column mounted is really frustrating and while racing nothings better than shifting gears manually.

Rev
Old 15th November 2005, 00:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

I can't vote here. It's too confusing for me! Life was better and uncomplicated in India. Here I have driven:
1. Automatic : Boring. Not my style, no way I would buy a car with A/T even if I have to do bumper to bumper driving.
2. Tiptronic: more fun, gives me the "feel" of a manual but the transmission still over rules your inputs. Wouldn't shift if the engine is not at the pre-determined rpm and downshifts automatically. Thats not a TRUE manual.
3. DSG : Fantastic feel. Is much faster then manual because of the principle of all gears are always engaged. But there is no clutch and the tiptronic again downshifts on it's own and refuses to upshift when you want it to.
4. Paddle shifts: the most fun. Felt great to have my hands always on the steering but this "great" feeling will wear out once the uniqueness of the paddle shifts wear off isnt it?
Maybe VW can make a traditional manual floor shift with DSG and paddle shifts! That would be ideal! That would be the amaglamation of all my favorite transmissions in one.

Last edited by amit : 15th November 2005 at 00:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks