Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Name Change on Driving Licence

Today I went to RTO to check the details of the wife's name change post marriage. The thing is if the license is issued somewhere else, then you require NOC of the issuing RTO. In our case, we require the NOC of the Satara RTO since her license was issued there. Apart from that it is a straightforward procedure which you can manage if you have time (there was too much crowd, I had to spend nearly 1 hr asking for details or even getting to the enquiry window) or through an agent if you don't have time.

You basically require these things -
  1. Self signed application on a plain paper requesting for the name change.
  2. NOC from the issuing RTO
  3. Attested copy of marriage certificate
  4. Original license
  5. Address proof of new address
  6. 100/- name change fee + 250/- smart card fee = 350/- total
  7. Good to carry - Id/address proof of the husband. Not that they ask for it or it is required; but better to keep one copy handy.

Once you submit the application along with all the documents, and original license they will update the details and send you the new license within a week on the address you specify there.
Old 9th July 2016, 10:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Typo in driver's license. How to fix while outside India?

My Karnataka license got converted into a card recently but my name has multiple typos. I'm not in India anymore so I'm wondering how to fix this. I may need it to drive using a tourist visa in other countries and I'm worried that the name mismatch could be an issue.

Can a name change be done without me going to the RTO in person i.e. can someone do it on my behalf?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 9th July 2016 at 10:50.
Old 9th July 2016, 12:57   #18
BHPian

Re: Typo in driver's license. How to fix while outside India?

It's India!! You can even get documents notarized in your absence and people get driver's license without even opening the car's door! Just spend a couple of hundred INR more and you will be able to get the corrected one without your physical presence. Just make sure that the person who fills the 'correction form' or whatever it is called with the correct spelling/information.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Typo in driver's license. How to fix while outside India?

I'm inclined to agree that it can probably be done with a little bit of palm greasing but I'm wondering what the official procedure is and whether it actually needs my presence or not.

In the event that it does, the "fee" would naturally rise quite a bit too.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:48   #20
BHPian

Re: Name Change on Driving Licence

I want to change the name on my license. The RTO is KA-05 (Karnataka). Someone told me that I need to apply for license again. Is that true?

Does anyone have experience in updating their name on the license in Karnataka? Please let me know the form # and the list of documents that are accepted as proof.
Old 18th July 2016, 23:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
My Karnataka license got converted into a card recently but my name has multiple typos. I'm not in India anymore so I'm wondering how to fix this. I may need it to drive using a tourist visa in other countries and I'm worried that the name mismatch could be an issue.

Can a name change be done without me going to the RTO in person i.e. can someone do it on my behalf?
It should be possible. Send the original license and a signed application along with an authorization letter to your parents or relative and ask them to submit the request at the RTO from where your license belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I want to change the name on my license. The RTO is KA-05 (Karnataka). Someone told me that I need to apply for license again. Is that true?

Does anyone have experience in updating their name on the license in Karnataka? Please let me know the form # and the list of documents that are accepted as proof.
I got it done in Kerala and it was a hassle free process. Submitted a hand written application along with another form, proof of name (passport in my case) and a self addressed envelope with required stamp. Paid a couple of hundred Rs fee and another 50 or 100 to the agent who guided me through the process. The new license reached home in a few weeks time.
Old 19th July 2016, 09:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

I got it done in Kerala and it was a hassle free process. Submitted a hand written application along with another form, proof of name (passport in my case) and a self addressed envelope with required stamp. Paid a couple of hundred Rs fee and another 50 or 100 to the agent who guided me through the process. The new license reached home in a few weeks time.
Went to the KA-05 (RTO-south BLR) yesterday and asked the superintendent about name change. She was adamant that I had to apply for a new license!

I also looked up the Karnataka Motor vehicles act
http://rto.kar.nic.in/Revised%20M.V....0Corrected.pdf

There is no provision for name change!!

Sigh!!

Last edited by ash_blore : 19th July 2016 at 09:59. Reason: More information
Old 19th July 2016, 16:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should be possible. Send the original license and a signed application along with an authorization letter to your parents or relative and ask them to submit the request at the RTO from where your license belongs.
Quote:
Went to the KA-05 (RTO-south BLR) yesterday and asked the superintendent about name change. She was adamant that I had to apply for a new license!

Sigh!!
Sadly, ash_blore is right because I asked around as well. There is no provision for name change and a new license means that you have to be there in person.
Old 20th July 2016, 12:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no provision for name change!!
Did you check if there is a provision for name correction? Technically it is different from name change. In my case, it was addition of missing last name in the license.
I find it hard to believe that it is not possible in KA since I did it in KL through the normal channel without paying any bribe. And when they say it will be a new license, it probably doesn't mean taking the test again but just submitting all the documents for a new license again for issuing a new card.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Did you check if there is a provision for name correction? Technically it is different from name change. In my case, it was addition of missing last name in the license.
Yes indeed I checked. In my case it is a name change (not a correction). So LL it is!
Old 12th January 2017, 13:41   #26
BHPian

Just came back from KA-05 Jaynagar RTO, I just needed to expand the initials as per my passport, the ARTO-1 very rudely said best to take another license.

I am trying the middle man route to get some job done by paying bribe. Not sure it will work.
Old 12th January 2017, 13:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Just came back from KA-05 Jaynagar RTO, I just needed to expand the initials as per my passport, the ARTO-1 very rudely said best to take another license.

I am trying the middle man route to get some job done by paying bribe. Not sure it will work.
On a relative note, I have been trying to change the Date of birth in my DL since last two renewals but all my trials were in vain. Hence, have given up and continued having the same DOB.

My DOB printed on my current DL is 8th April 1966 since last 2 renewals. Original DL issued first time had right DOB but Not sure how they got this date printed on my current DL when it is nowhere near to my actual date of birth of 20th May 1970.

When I met RTO officer with all the proofs (Passport, 10th Std Marks Sheet etc), he accepted that it was their mistake, but I got the same reply as yours as they cannot change the DOB in the existing license. (In the meanwhile, they also changed the DL from Booklet to Plastic card and then smart card. In this process, somewhere they have messed up)

So, decided to keep the same DOB. During renewal (in 2026), if they say, they cannot renew because, i would have completed 60 years(As per their records), I will apply for fresh DL with right DOB.

Only impact is, I cannot show my DL as ID proof, Address proof or DOB Proof anywhere
Old 9th March 2017, 08:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Hi. I am in the same situation as you, need to get my name expanded on my Karnataka DL. Was the agent able to get this done for you?
Old 9th March 2017, 11:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Hi. I am in the same situation as you, need to get my name expanded on my Karnataka DL. Was the agent able to get this done for you?

Nope, nobody was able to help me out due to the rules.
The best way to expand name in the DL is to get a new DL.

I am going through affidavit road. I am creating a affidavit which will state that the person having the DL and PASSPORT are same. Both names will be mentioned in the affidavit with supporting links to documents.

In addition, when I take an IDP, the DL with short name will already be mentioned and the name in the IDP will be as per the name in passport. This two documents can link successfully that its the same person.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Quote:
Nope, nobody was able to help me out due to the rules.
The best way to expand name in the DL is to get a new DL.
Well, there's an easier way. Report your DL as lost, lodge a FIR and apply for a duplicate license. When they are printing the smartcard, request them to change it with expanded initials. Usually they will oblige as long as it is obvious that the names/persons are same.

My DL which got expired in 2015, when I renewed, I got the name changed (initials expanded) without any issue - This was in Bangalore - KR puram RTO.
BTW, No bribe / no middle man.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks