Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 20:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

I am quite sure that that particular dialogue or scene happened in my dream long before, and i am dumbfounded for a few seconds how this happened. Whatever psychology explains, it is a moment of awe.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

This thread confirms I am not mad!
The incidences like the opening post of this thread has happened to me many times. I dont remember how many times, but happens to me in around 6 months or so. That leaves me in thought how could I remember such a situation happening earlier.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Deja Vu - I often experience it.Haven't checked the occurrence period, but surely this feeling or what ever it is keeps happening.Just couple of weeks back i went to meet somebody,the locality was new to me, but when i reached the place felt that have seen it before.The entire location somehow was already on my mind.
Old 12th August 2010, 00:31   #34
BHPian

Shucks!!! , I've read this thread before.
Old 12th August 2010, 01:12   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I used to have loads of deja vu moments before. And I used to also dream things which used to happen at a later stage (premonition kinds).
First the deja vu stopped. Now the premonitions have gone for almost 10 years.
But sometimes, I read or come across something, there's a sense of misplaced memory which keeps gnawing, did that happen before? If yes, where? It looks so familiar yet lost.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:04   #36
BHPian

Though I was not knowing the term Deja Vu, I used to experience this strange feeling like, when I see some place or talk with someone, I feel like I have seen this place before or talked the same like. It is momentary and then I forget it completely. From my experience, two Deja Vu's never happen in a day or within few hours for me. I am experiencing this from my +2 ages. So almost 20 years now, still it happens at least twice a week. In the early days once I discussed this issue with my dad, who is a general physician, he told me just to ignore it and try some general meditation or prayer. I used to do those but Deja Vu never disappeared.
I was thinking that I was the one of the rare persons experiencing this, but now feel there are many. I just ignore it, sometime think there may be some "bad sectors" in my brain which work odd sometimes!!!

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 12th August 2010 at 08:06.
Old 12th August 2010, 09:40   #37
BHPian

The human mind is wired to recognize patterns. I think this is the reason we experience Deja Vu. When some situation closely resembles something that has happened in the past; which we have forgotten in the conscious level, but our brain remembers it coz its stored somewhere; the brain is able to recognize the patterns and match it to the previous experience. Our mind in turn interprets it as having seen it before and since it doesnt have an idea when its seen it before, it gets confused and gives out weird signals....deja vu
Old 12th August 2010, 11:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
neutralgrey : When some situation closely resembles something that has happened in the past; which we have forgotten in the conscious level, but our brain remembers it coz its stored somewhere; the brain is able to recognize the patterns and match it to the previous experience.
The point you are missing here is that the event / sequence of actions has never been done before. And the play of events in the mind is Exactly the same as is happening in front of the person.

So when we are doing it for the first time, where did the memory come from ? We are not talking about just 'similarity' between memories and action here. It is about a "action replay"
Old 12th August 2010, 12:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I think this topic/phenomenon was discussed in another thread. I am not sure which one though.

BTW, I too experience this quite often.
Yeah! I found the thread I was talking about . Here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...them-here.html

@Mods: May be you can merge these threads. . .
Old 12th August 2010, 14:09   #40

@condor - u r absolutely right in ur observation. as in my case i used to tell myself now this person is going to say this word and voila the same came out from his mouth and i stood there watching as if i am observing this unattached though physically i am very much there. now i am touching 60 and accept these phenomenons as god's gift to mankind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The point you are missing here is that the event / sequence of actions has never been done before. And the play of events in the mind is Exactly the same as is happening in front of the person.

So when we are doing it for the first time, where did the memory come from ? We are not talking about just 'similarity' between memories and action here. It is about a "action replay"
Old 12th August 2010, 22:26   #41
BHPian

@condor: What I believe that, its just our mind tricking us to believe its exactly the same sequence of events while its something similar. My reasoning behind this line of thought is that there must be some very ordinary explanation to it.

We are all speculating here, but I really dont think that there is something supernatural here. Its far too common for that. The human mind is capable of tricking us to believe a lot of things. If you try spending a night alone after watching a spooky horror movie, you will know what I mean. It can distort the most mundane of things into things really sinister.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Its our ming playing tricks, actually our brain for some reason portrays the present as past and then correlates that information as a mirror image of whats going on at that time. So the present is saved as an old memory while still processing it and presenting it as live at the same time. Nothing magical about it.
Old 13th August 2010, 07:51   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sanjoy50 : .. and i stood there watching as if i am observing this unattached though physically i am very much there.
@Sanjoy - yes, "unattached" is a key attribute here.

Quote:
neutralgrey : @condor: What I believe that, its just our mind tricking us to believe its exactly the same sequence of events while its something similar.

but I really dont think that there is something supernatural here.
@NG, I dont think any one has said anything about supernatural yet ..
I do note what you have said in the first part of your post, but your comments look like generalizing and trying to explain Our experiences.

A key difference in what you have mentioned & the experience we have is the state of mind - I have not noticed any anxiety / fear / happiness when this happens. The mind feels calm at that time. Like Sanjoy said - detached.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:08   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
at least once I have experienced a deja vu where my mind was running seconds ahead of time, meaning I knew I had seen this before, but I also knew what that person was going to say next. May be my mind was just constructing events as they unfold.
This phenomenon is called Dejavu all others are premonition. I have also experienced this and it's kind of tingling feeling when you sense it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
@condor: What I believe that, its just our mind tricking us to believe its exactly the same sequence of events while its something similar. My reasoning behind this line of thought is that there must be some very ordinary explanation to it.

We are all speculating here, but I really dont think that there is something supernatural here. Its far too common for that. The human mind is capable of tricking us to believe a lot of things. If you try spending a night alone after watching a spooky horror movie, you will know what I mean. It can distort the most mundane of things into things really sinister.
No, this is no speculation, it happens for real. It goes like this-
I am at a place talking to friends when some random conversation is going on then suddenly at one moment my mind seems to catch hold of the thread and I get a flash recognition of a similar event happened before and now this is the freaky part: I predict the next few lines of conversation like who says what, and holy cow! It happens as I predict.

This kind of Dejavu usually is not frequent and I experience it like once in several months.

But there may be nothing miraculous in this since the brain is such a complex computational organ that it is well within it's means to link up long forgotten incidents and make superhighway connection.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:16   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
zaks : ... it is well within it's means to link up long forgotten incidents and make superhighway connection.
But Zaks, the sequence that is playing out in the memory is an exact mirror of what is actually happening - not of a younger you /me, not of a different place. Yes, the time seems different because we feel that we have done this exact thing before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks