Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 13:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dev, it is a good decision to shift to another city, more variety in life.
I myself lived in Bangalore for 3 years 2 decades ago and enjoyed it thoroughly although Bangalore today is vastly different from what it was then (1988-91).

Language and "sons-of-the-soil" jingoism is there in every part of India, in differing areas of virulence, and I find Bombay is no better, despite its veneer of cosmopolitanism. A "non-local" is always put on a different pedestal and envied, detested and harassed in many parts of India, but that should not hinder normal life. It is a different issue if you run into some trouble (e.g. accident), go for for work in govt offices, etc.

Since your child is getting into school, it is a very serious long-term decision, but the kid will have no problem learning Kannada at his/her age. Picking up a smattering of Kannada is not difficult.

In any case, it would be a wise decision to sell off the Esteem in Bombay itself and buy yourself a new KA-registered car once you reach Bangalore, better in the long term.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:16   #32
BHPian

Dev Kudle,
I hope you have already moved to Bangalore.Regarding the banter about Bangalore not being an ideal city to relocate,I would say that with most cities in India.
I am a Bangalorean and had to shift to Mumbai and Pune last year.
I took the plunge,enjoyed my time at Mumbai and Pune inspite of all the challenges.
Every city has its own challenges and we need to make an effort to imbibe the local language and culture.

Infrastructure is bound to improve in the next few months(With a lot of signal free corridors and Metro) and things will improve for good.
Need to be positive.
About the traffic,it isnt that bad.
I took it upon myself to help the cause.
Instead of driving down to my office every day in my car,I've started to use the Volvo bus service atleast 3-4 days a week.
Feel good that I am doing my bit for the environment as well

All the best
Old 6th December 2010, 18:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dev

i remember you sending couple of PMs / SMSs to me.
Did Mr. Marathe help you ?
Are you able to get your "dream house" in and around CV raman nagar ?
Hope you have settled down in Bangalore by now.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:22   #34
BHPian

Hi Dev

Well, I have not stayed in Mumbai, so I cannot comment on the differences between there and Bangalore. But I have stayed in Bangalore for the last 10 years, and before that, in 4 other cities, including Delhi and Chennai. Here is what I add, hope it is useful to you:

1. The weather is truly one of the best things about this city; of course, being not too hot or too cold makes one label it to be 'sick' weather, it is not. In fact, it is really nice weather to get some shut eye. I guess that is why Bangalore is seen as more lazy and laid back... cos the weather is so good!

2. On the other hand, traffic... don't get me started on it. During rush hours (morning or evening) it will literally drive you insane, and I don't know how much it will improve in the next few years. Of course, some people have found 2 solutions to this:
a. Stay really close to your place of work (I highly recommend this)
b. Have some flexible timings so that you either leave home early (e.e 7AM, or perhaps later 11AM, and adjust your work leaving times accordingly) to beat the traffic.

3. While not being able to party till 12-1 etc may be annoying for many of us, I personally don't find it an issue (but thats because I don't party).

4. Autos are ok, definitely better than those a***oles in Chennai, but not really great. The autowallas (around 40-50% of them I guess) have tampered meters, do not really want to go where you want, and will try and not run on the meter.

5. I have picked up a smattering of spoken (not written) Kannada, and I find that while it is needed for certain tasks, for the majority, even travelling on the normal local bus and talking to the conductor, Hindi/English would do. Heck,a friend of mine, a native Bangalorean, has not picked up Kannada for his whole lifetime.

6. I wish the city had a beach. Earlier, Bangalore had many lakes and places to sit and laze about. These days, many lakes have been filled up, and the new hangout destinations are the malls (which are damn crowded on weekends). And most parks are closed during the daytime (ostensibly to prevent 'nefarious' activities).

7. People are generally friendly, whether young or old, and quite straight forward (i.e. when asking for directions, they give proper instructions, instead of just saying 'straight'!).

That's all I can add... I hope you get to love good ol' Bangalore/Bengaluru, just as the rest of us have done
Old 8th December 2010, 03:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: To Do or Not To Do - Othello

This is a most hated and totally false post about Bangalore. Such posts build a false negative image about our city. See my replies in bold inline.

MODS, please not that I'm not targeting any person here, but, correcting the false allegation made by the person against a city or its residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

3. Outsiders are not welcome in Bangalore. Local people have the kind of mindset that outsiders who have migrated to Bangalore have spoilt their city completely. To a certain extent, this is true. I can totally understand the mindset of the local people. Even I would feel the same way if outsiders migrate to my city and spoil it. Even in Mumbai, outsiders are not welcome. There are political parties who feel the same way about this issue.

You would be surprised to find out that only 30-40% people in the city are Kannadigas. And saying that outsiders are not welcome is totally not true. I can vouch for it because I have friends in Bangalore from most parts of India and most of them don't feel so. We do not have people like Bal Thackeray etc.

Bangalore is not unique to Outsiders-spoiling-the-city syndrome. Every city has it. Even in the U.S. we face it.

4. Language barrier is very much there. I know that many people say that you can easily survive in Bangalore without knowing the local language. But the fact is, if you don't know the local language, you can't live in the city. People like me, who don't know the local language, live in a shell within the city. We only go to places where people understand hindi/english. We can live only in IT areas, shop only in malls, watch movies only in multiplexes. We don't get to see the real Bangalore city. If we go to a non-IT area, we would be totally lost. We would find it difficult to communicate with others, other people will pretend as if they don't understand hindi/english. Your maid would not understand your language (or pretend not to understand). She doesn't know a single word of hindi/english, except how to ask for salary and leave.

Language barrier is definitely there if you want to interact with maids, etc. You cannot expect an illiterate maid to speak English or Hindi. Doesn't make sense to me.
And nobody "pretends" not to understand other languages. On the other hand, I can say that if I go to banks, shops, malls and talk in Kannada, I don't get good response.

5. Bangalore is not a metro city. It is a small town which has suddenly exploded because of the IT industry. The infrastructure and facilities are very poor. Even basic things like drinking water is not available in posh areas. There are lot of power cuts, especially in summer season. Bangalore city is not properly planned, most of the growth has happened in an ad hoc manner.

Nonsense! Bangalore was never a "small town". It always has been a nice city. Explosion due to growth is true. But the growth was because of people who migrated. Not to say they are not welcome, but when you migrate, you will have to accept both the good and bad parts of the city, because you are contributing to the good part and bad part of the city as a migrant.

6. Roads infrastructure is very poor. Roads are extremely congested. Road sense is very bad - everyone drives like maniacs. There are a lot of one ways because of lack of wide 2 way roads. Commute time is very high even though distances are less.

What do you think the average speed of traffic in Mumbai or Delhi is?

7. God forbid if you have an accident in Bangalore city. You would be bashed up by the local people for 3 reasons:
a) When a car and a bike have an accident, it is always the fault of the car driver - bash him up.
b) If you are an outsider who doesn't know the local language, it is your fault because you have spoilt their city - bash him up.
c) If you are an IT professional, local non-IT people are jealous of you and hate you because you are earning more than them - bash him up.

This is true for the locals also. Mob fury is a common problem in India.. Add to that the big gap between the rich and the poor.

8. Auto drivers and cab drivers are rowdies and enjoy a lot of political support. Auto meters are tampered. Even on the tampered meter, you have to pay extra. Auto drivers will drive you to empty streches and rob you at knife point. Onlookers would not help you since you are an outsider.

Accepted the point about auto drivers. But onlookers will not help anybody because they have to protect their own life first. And these incidents happen in isolated areas, not in the middle of the city. Onlookers cannot look and find out that you're not a local.

9. Property rates are unrealistically high in Bangalore. House rents are also very steep. Plus you have to give 10 months rent as deposit.

Which city is cheap? Do you think you can buy property for half price in Mumbai?

10. Electronics City is a SEZ which is located almost 10 kms from the edge of the city. Electronics City is the Southern end of Bangalore and Airport is the North most end of Bangalore. Distance between E-city and Airport is more than 50 kms. Travel time from E-city to Airport would be 2-3 hours.

Most cities around the globe don't have airports in the heart of the city.

Rohan
Old 9th December 2010, 11:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please don't take my views as hatred towards the city. I have lived in Bangalore for almost 10 years and I too feel proud to be a Bangalorean.

But every city has its pros and cons. I have mentioned my frank views about the city to help the OP in making his decision.

I am not a Bangalore basher. I just wanted the OP to know how Bangalore is different from his city Mumbai and what difficulties he would have to face if he decides to leave his city and move to Bangalore.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my views, but at least I am entitled to express my views in a respectful manner.

Rohan
Old 9th December 2010, 12:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
For your own convenience, learn conversational Kannada. You can do that in less than a week. You won't go to France and speak in Hindi. Why expect Kannadigas to understand Hindi?
I had to relocate to blore in the early 90s.
I'm a non-kannadiga and believe me, it took me just 3 months to learn conversational Kannada and in another 1 year i was able to speak fluent Kannada. It's only a matter of will.
Just start watching kannada movies and Tv channels once in a while and you'll easily pick up the language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Mumbai is a very lively city whereas Bangalore is a lazy city. They say that Mumbai never sleeps. Bangalore, on the other hand, becomes deserted after 10 pm. You won't even find a decent place to have dinner after 10 pm in Bangalore.
That's the beauty of that place. A laidback city with amazing climate and a cool attitude. Sadly the city is becoming another Mumbai. The day she started changing i left the city.
Ther's another thread reminiscing about the old world charm of bangalore.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:21   #38
BHPian

NAMMA BANGALURU

HERE I'M BACK ON TRACK. And that too in Bangalore.

Settled. Family here. Joined Office. Everything is smooth now.
Had many experiences here. That is shifting from amchi Mumbai to Namma Bangaluru.

Watch out this space. Till I come up with the whole version.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:10   #39
BHPian

Good to hear that Dev
I had lived in Bangalore for 3 years before I shifted back to Chennai this year
Blore was nice to me, though the climate made me lazy.
Being a Tamilian, I never had any problems with communication or food.

I agree when people say, dont expect people to speak in Hindi when in cities like Bangalore or Chennai.
Its not their native language and there is no inclination to embrace it. If you want to live in these cities, learn the local language or use simple english.
People from both cities are fairly good in common english words and you can survive with it.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:48   #40
BHPian

I am joining in very late. Better late than never.

@ Blue pulsar

+ 10 to whatever you have debated.

@Rohan iitr.

I am surprised you are staying in Bangalore with all these. I am further surprised that you have spent a decade with all these. You seem to be greatly disappointed for reasons unknown about Bangalore.

If what you have mentioned is absolutely true, i am not able to understand why Bangalore has become the IT capital of INDIA. You seem to be saying in other words, that so many MNCs who have invested in Bangalore are idiots.

Guys like me have been born and brought up here seeing the city grow. I suppose everybody has a hand on how each city grows, for that matter the nation itself.

Lets stop this bashing of cities in our own country. Please understand that Bangalore was never expected to grow so fast. Only time can set the shortcomings right. For that matter, i have seen the narrow single lane street from Bangalore to hosur transform to a highway- what it is now. Things are being set right here, though its delayed due to politics and things like that.

Learn to love people and be cordial wherever you are making your living. Bangalore is a place of sweet people. You get double the returns here of whatever you give.

Learn to adopt.

@DEV:

Nice to know you have shifted here. All the very best for your new assignment and stay.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 23rd December 2010 at 20:50.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:32   #41
BHPian

Hi All,

Surprises all the way. The scenario is really different as it is/was projected.

It's been a long time, that I took the decision to shift to Bangalore. At first, I was greatly skeptical about this idea, as I was reading stories after stories, experience after experience about mugging, road-rage in Bangalore. Hence, started this thread to get suggestions from out beloved TBHP.
If I look behind a bit, I was quite settled in Mumbai. Flat of my own, kid going to school, good job, my beloved Suzuki Esteem, friends etc.
But, everything was a routine and I wanted to experience new things, during which I can feel myself that I can still adopt thing and am ready for changes, like we are used to during our college days. But, at the same time, I was worried about my family.
But, Anywayz...with suggestions flowing in from all sides (positive as well as negative), I decided to move ahead to Bangalore. (Thanks StarVegabond for your help and directions mate).

Landed on Bangalore soil on 11th Nov'10 via Spicejet afternoon flight, during landing saw, it was wet and cold out in Bangalore (I never purchased a single sweater in my whole life). Sudden change in temperature from Mumbai to Bangalore. Surprised. Got out of airport, no mugging, no pushing from private taxi-drivers, no snatching of baggage. People spoke politly in English. I WAS SURPRISED. Eventually decided to take volvo bus. Now the second surprise came. One white uniformed guy came upto me when I was standing alone in one of the volvo stand and asked me where I'm headed. I said Koramangala. He asked me to board Volvo bus 7A which will come at 03:40 PM. In the meantime I took out one cigarette but remembered that, I had no lighter as I was travelling by flight. The volvo guy standing next to me promptly took out his matchbox and gave me a light. Thanked him. Boarded the 7A bus and got down at Tank Road, and asked one guy in hindi how to reach Koramangala. Got the answer in plain English. On the way saw one Blue Maruthi Suzuki Swift with TBHP sticker . SUDDENLY I was scared to hear a sharp siren (like the ambulance siren), but it was sharp one. Started looking around frantically. Asked one guy (He seemed to be from NorthEast India), he laughed and said, it's just a warning siren installed at traffic signal (I was near Sony-world signal Koramangala). Stood there for atleast 20 minutes, hearing that siren for alternate signals for numerious times. Crossed the signal and saw a tapri making long-long-long, bhajiya. On enquiring the guy told me that, it's banana bhajiya (not a raw one, but a sweet one). Finally reached my guesthouse on time.
To be continued with first evening in Bangalore (Idly, Rice Bath).
(Note: I'm not good at narration. Please don't mind guys. I wrote it as I felt it during my first days in Bangalore).

Last edited by dev_kudle : 24th December 2010 at 11:36.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Surprised. Got out of airport, no mugging, no pushing from private taxi-drivers, no snatching of baggage. People spoke politly in English.
I am upset that somebody has painted Bangalore all wrong in your mind. Be rest assured that you really will cherish your stay here till you do all the right things.

By the way, the Bangalore traffic cops have infact installed a funny thing which makes a siren kind of a noise when the signal is about to go red. I am sure that not only me, but many would be confused about this. Its really a funny thing.

Keep posting your experiences.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

All cities have the same types and classes of people. I am sure bangalore is no better or worse than mumbai overall. of course in some aspects it would be better and worse in others. one cant live in marathahalli and start missing napean sea road/ king circle areas
however, as a guy who has moved with his 3 year old kid, you need to be alert to:
1. how adaptable your wife and kid are to other places, people, language and cultures
2. how rooted you guys are in your social life in your hometown
3. family ties/ dependencies if any in the hometown
4. re integration issues when ever you return - it is quite tough on kids to move, and once they get settled in a place its even tougher for them to move back as their definition of home has changed and they have most probably picked up the local language of the place you have moved to
5. if you plan on having another kid, you may want to stick to your hometown purely due to family/ social support circles
6. you will have lots of communication at work, but you will also have to be alert to teh fact that your wife and kid are in an alien place, so you will have to put in that extra effort to organise events/ meet people. it works like a charm if you are a bit outgoing as a person. but if you are introverted, then its a challenge to do this
7. you will have to consider the risk that your social contacts in your hometown are likely to diminish in your continued absence
8. how much you will spend to maintain your current standard of living. there may be some parts of your lifestyle in mumbai, which may be more expensive in blr. please note that I only mention the possibility - I am in no way saying one city is more expensive than the other. I dont know the current state of affairs in either city, all for you to ascertain

normally it shouldnt be an issue moving within india, as you are still within quick reach of your hometown, but even with the hike, you should consider that you will be also spending more to stay in touch with your hometown (phone calls/ travel, etc)
if you do move/ have moved, take the opportunity to travel around bangalore to enjoy the sights of that part of the country (coord/ kerala/ tamil nadu are within quick reach for weekend trips).

I have been living outside my hometown for the past few years and I miss the part of being recognised in my neighbourhood (being waved at by your neighbour/ grocer/ any other person you know). this may sound very silly but it does happen to one if they have been living in an area for years together. more than the city itself, one tends to miss their immediate vicinity.
honestly, i didnt find there was much to do in bangalore on weekends but that could be as I had mostly local colleagues who were usually busy/ preoccupied. i have also lived in mumbai a bit, so I can tell you that one thing you would miss in blr is good public transport if you are using it a lot in mumbai. when i was there, all buses had boards in kannada and it was impossible to know the destination unless you knew the route numbers.
you could also consider commuting every two weeks if it suits you/ your company, so your family will continue in mumbai. in this case, you can look to move back to mumbai any time in the recent future. if you move the whole ship, you may find it more difficult and time consuming to move back. it depends on what you would want to do in the long term.
good luck to you and feel free to ask/ PM further

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
I am upset that somebody has painted Bangalore all wrong in your mind. Be rest assured that you really will cherish your stay here till you do all the right things.
By the way, the Bangalore traffic cops have infact installed a funny thing which makes a siren kind of a noise when the signal is about to go red. I am sure that not only me, but many would be confused about this. Its really a funny thing.
Keep posting your experiences.
This is a good initiative. its only a matter of time before our selectively visually imapired driver community (currently oblivious to the signal lights) start getting accustomed to ignoring the siren too

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th December 2010 at 12:12.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

@rohan iitr
(4. Language barrier is very much there. I know that many people say that you can easily survive in Bangalore without knowing the local language. But the fact is, if you don't know the local language, you can't live in the city. People like me, who don't know the local language, live in a shell within the city. We only go to places where people understand hindi/english. We can live only in IT areas, shop only in malls, watch movies only in multiplexes. We don't get to see the real Bangalore city. If we go to a non-IT area, we would be totally lost. We would find it difficult to communicate with others, other people will pretend as if they don't understand hindi/english. Your maid would not understand your language (or pretend not to understand). She doesn't know a single word of hindi/english, except how to ask for salary and leave.)

I fully agee on your this remark. I had to travel to Mangalore very urgently & finding no other solutions took a morning 0315 flight from Mumbai & landed at Bengaluru around 0530. This was my first ever visit to Bengaluru.

1st incident: I needed to go to a place called 'MAJESTIC', (as guided by my local friends) to take VOLVO bus to Magalore. So I opted for prepaid cab. As I took my receipt (Cost Rs 900/-) from 'carzonrent'. I was approached by their driver who guided me to his Indigo marina. As we approached the car another driver came talking on the phone & then an argument ensued between them. I stood watching in fascination as both argued & after good ten minutes the first driver gave up & politely asked me to go in 'PETROL'!! car (a Ford Ikon) Travel time in erarly morning hours - 50 minutes.

2nd Incident: I'm dropped at KSRTC bus stand & then I'm as good as I'm on Mars. I spoke to almost 50 people including drivers, conductors, some officials, police men, a couple who looked kind-a educated (if u wanna call them that) but NO ONE & believe me no one even uttered a word of english or hindi. Not even YES or NO.
All I wanted to know was first available VOLVO for Mangalore via some place called HASAN but to no avail. Then for my GOOD luck I find a Keralite gentleman, who was also looking for similar bus. I just followed him & after good fifteen minutes of him asking around, all we could manage was a 'RAJHAMSA' bus.
The ride from Bengaluru to Mangalore can be discribed in TWO words WORST NIGHTMARE.
Now can someone tell me what place is Mangaluru because I saw two VOLVO buses with such signs but when asked only got blank faces from all.

So much for just travelling through Bengaluru. My genuine apologies to my Bangalore friends but I really pity the 'OUTSIDERS' there.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 24th December 2010 at 13:03.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hi All,

Surprises all the way. The scenario is really different as it is/was projected.

It's been a long time, that I took the decision to shift to Bangalore. At first, I was greatly skeptical about this idea, as I was reading stories after stories, experience after experience about mugging, road-rage in Bangalore. Hence, started this thread to get suggestions from out beloved TBHP.
If I look behind a bit, I was quite settled in Mumbai. Flat of my own, kid going to school, good job, my beloved Suzuki Esteem, friends etc.
But, everything was a routine and I wanted to experience new things, during which I can feel myself that I can still adopt thing and am ready for changes, like we are used to during our college days. But, at the same time, I was worried about my family.
But, Anywayz...with suggestions flowing in from all sides (positive as well as negative), I decided to move ahead to Bangalore. (Thanks StarVegabond for your help and directions mate).

Landed on Bangalore soil on 11th Nov'10 via Spicejet afternoon flight, during landing saw, it was wet and cold out in Bangalore (I never purchased a single sweater in my whole life). Sudden change in temperature from Mumbai to Bangalore. Surprised. Got out of airport, no mugging, no pushing from private taxi-drivers, no snatching of baggage. People spoke politly in English. I WAS SURPRISED. Eventually decided to take volvo bus. Now the second surprise came. One white uniformed guy came upto me when I was standing alone in one of the volvo stand and asked me where I'm headed. I said Koramangala. He asked me to board Volvo bus 7A which will come at 03:40 PM. In the meantime I took out one cigarette but remembered that, I had no lighter as I was travelling by flight. The volvo guy standing next to me promptly took out his matchbox and gave me a light. Thanked him. Boarded the 7A bus and got down at Tank Road, and asked one guy in hindi how to reach Koramangala. Got the answer in plain English. On the way saw one Blue Maruthi Suzuki Swift with TBHP sticker . SUDDENLY I was scared to hear a sharp siren (like the ambulance siren), but it was sharp one. Started looking around frantically. Asked one guy (He seemed to be from NorthEast India), he laughed and said, it's just a warning siren installed at traffic signal (I was near Sony-world signal Koramangala). Stood there for atleast 20 minutes, hearing that siren for alternate signals for numerious times. Crossed the signal and saw a tapri making long-long-long, bhajiya. On enquiring the guy told me that, it's banana bhajiya (not a raw one, but a sweet one). Finally reached my guesthouse on time.
To be continued with first evening in Bangalore (Idly, Rice Bath).
(Note: I'm not good at narration. Please don't mind guys. I wrote it as I felt it during my first days in Bangalore).
Welcome to Bangalore Dev.
As everyone commented in previous posts, Bangalore is such nice place for a corporate and family life. I am here for last 6 years and still I remember the 1st day I came to Bangalore thinking that my Bangalore life should be very minimal, and go back to my home state TN and search for a job in Chennai. And it took only couple months to change my decision. My career started here, got married, got a kid .. life goes on peacefully in Bangalore. The mugging, the people, the language are all small obstacles that an individual should handle personally, It happens in every city of India. so my small cent here is be prepared to handle anything and prevention is better than cure.
By the way I stay in Koromangala and close to Sony World signal, PM me if you need any help .
And do remember that Koromangala is the right place if you are a partying freak .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed