Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:43   #46
Team-BHP Support

In the early 90s I used to drive from my home at HAL to the TCS office in Cunningham road in 20 minutes in Kinetic Honda during peak hour. Once I did in 12 minutes in Maruti Omni at around 9:30PM.

In the mid 80s I used to cycle from Jayanagar 5th block to Kempegowda bus stand in 30 minutes to watch movies in Sangam theatre. Rs.4.50 for first class, Rs.6 for balcony. They used to show some awesome English movies there. Also used to cycle to M.G road to watch movies in Plaza, Rex, Bluemoon, Blue Diamond, Galaxy, Symphony and Lido. How many of these still exist now and show quality movies?
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's the stretch where I tested the Fiat Uno-D .. took it all the way upto 130 ! And the Uno didnot complain. The road used to be empty back then ..
While you ripped your Uno-D, I took my modded suzuki max to 95kmph(it was close to 100). I remember I got the engine rebored to match the size of Shogun . Caliber did touch 100 for a few seconds as I was told.Six lanes of road then was a treat. Now it looks like a part of city, with so many buildings build on both the sides of the road.This time I didn't feel if I drove on the same road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Also used to cycle to M.G road to watch movies in Plaza, Rex, Bluemoon, Blue Diamond, Galaxy, Symphony and Lido. How many of these still exist now and show quality movies?
Symphony has been converted to Fame Cinema multiplex. Galaxy was among the first one to be converted to a multiplex(If I am correct it's the same one which was opposite to pub world ).
AFAIK even Plaza has been brought down, not sure though.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 23rd August 2010 at 14:55.
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Plaza, Rex, Bluemoon, Blue Diamond, Galaxy, Symphony and Lido. How many of these still exist now and show quality movies?
Rex is the last one standing. I havent been to Symphony in a long long time - I think they stopped screening English movies after the name changed.
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:45   #49
BHPian

Pining for the old B'lore of the 70s. Stayed near Osborne Road. Studied at KV MEG (1976-78). recall the old Naga theatre. used to cycle from residence to Cubbon park to visit the Central Library ( now they dont issue books out i understand).
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I Also used to cycle to M.G road to watch movies in Plaza, Rex, Bluemoon, Blue Diamond, Galaxy, Symphony and Lido. How many of these still exist now and show quality movies?
Bluemoon and Blue Diamond disappeared almost a decade ago IIRC. Plaza making way for Metro Station or some Metro related building. Symphony is now 2 screens and known as Fame Shankarnag and is still showing Movies, but I miss Symphony. Seen most of my movies there :-( . Galaxy became defunct a couple of years back and has now been demolished and I believe yet another mall is coming up there.

Rex is last man standing and is now showing more Hindi movies than English ones.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Way back in 1978, I cycled a couple of times through slush and mud (pure offroad !) but yet beautiful green village, divided in two by the slender mud track, to reach my school (FAPS) from Koramangala ! My friend and I exulted over the 4 kms saved. On some of the stretches we had to carry our cycles on our heads !

The beautiful village and mud tracks is now Viveknagar Main Road
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

I dearly miss the good old Lido, with some good space around and some huge trees it was an ideal theater for many movie lovers...i remember the rates were something like this.. front row/ghandhi class 100rs, rear stall 15rs and 25rs for balcony...
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

But Opera seems stuck there .. waiting for legal issues to be cleared after which one more mall ?
Old 24th August 2010, 09:32   #54
Team-BHP Support

When I came to Bangalore first, I used to live in Richards town. It was so cool and green and the trees and old houses gave it so much character. The trees are still there but the traffic and development has spoiled it.

I later moved to Lavelle road. It used to be peaceful place and everything was a walking distance away. Although I had a bike, I used to walk to MG Road and Commerical street, even upto near where Garuda mall stands for tution. There was always the chance you would meet someone you know and exchange pleasantries.

Lavelle Road has become a huge coffee shop cum spa. To top it, there is no parking. we thankfully sold our house and have an apartment on Lavelle road but well set back. cops have encouraged residents on cross roads to priivatise them. Huge apartments are sprouting but no visitor parking. The only time Lavelle road was enjoyable is on Ganesha Chathurthi when everyone was at home.

I stay in Richmond Town also busy but evenings and sundays are very quiet.
Daily now, I drive on MG Road and lament the lack of historical buidlins, Cauvery excepted. The architecture is appalling - mismatch boxes. Agreed, some building were in disrepair but abroad, they keep the front facade and totally redo everything beyond. The Metro had cramped the wide open spaces. Calcutta's Chowrangee although decrepit has history and character. MG Road? Sorry, a mall is more comfortable now, there is no more attraction.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:22   #55
BHPian

Late 70's When my uncle retired & built a house at a place called West of Chord road ( Now Bhasaweshwar Nagar) it was Heaven. Now,its hell with the traffic, dust, & pollution. Those times B'lore was so beautiful full of fun. I always was looking at a reason to come to B'lore. Now, we spend more time commuting(in traffic) than enjoy B'lore. Climate used to so good. It was really a garden city with so many gardens & trees. Where have they all gone?

There use to be Rock Shows every Sunday at Cubbon Park, Does it still Happen? . Theatres were very nice, Brigades & M G Road was always crowed as per those days standards.

I really miss Old B'lore (Same is the case with Mumbai & Pune Also).
Old 24th August 2010, 11:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the climate, I don't think its changed much except for a couple of weeks during summer. The lack of trees (especially in new areas) and pollution being the main concern.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Regarding the climate, I don't think its changed much except for a couple of weeks during summer. The lack of trees (especially in new areas) and pollution being the main concern.
Sir,
The climate has has changed a lot in the last 8-10 years.

I have been visiting Bangalore from last 25 years and as a matter of fact, i use to spend my summer holidays in Bangalore @ Frazer town. My uncle never had a fan in the house and we had to use blankets in the night as it use to get cold in the night.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:29   #58
BHPian

(I used to reside at Indiranagar for around 2 and a half years from 2002-2005).

100 ft road at Indiranagar was magical with a few business buts lots of trees and less traffic even during 2002-2004. After the massive commercialization it seems to have lost a bit of it's charm.

CMH Road had a lot more trees before the metro. The road from BR Sri Circle to CMH hospital is still quite good but back then, it was wonderfully quiet and cool in the evenings.

The area beyond NGEF was quite desolate and scary to travel at night.
Old 24th August 2010, 19:30   #59
jp1
BHPian

This thread kind of rekindle the memories

I came to Bangalore in the early 80s and lived in Palace Guttahalli and used to go for my computer classes in Dickenson Road near MG Road. After the classes, in the afternoon aound 1pm we used to walk via cubbon road all the way to High grounds police station through the Golf grounds to Palace Guttahalli. The weather was so pleasant. We don't get tired or sweat. Can you imagine walking through that stretch today during the afternoons?

Then I moved to Seva Nagar and used to work in Cunningham road and it takes hardly 15 minutes for me to reach Cunningham road from Seva Nagar on my Rx 100. Now I live in Koramangala and my office also in Koramangala and it takes me 15 minutes minimum to reach my office. If I walk, the same distance I cover in 20 minutes. I never heard of Koramangala those days.

Those days we used to get back home quite late, so we come to the Brigade road M.G road junction around 11, 12 in the night and have 'Thattu Dosa'.

Oh.., then how about an ice cream after a 2nd show at at LakeView on MG Road...

Talking about food., chinese favorite was Rice Bowl and Shangrilla on Brigade road

Then there is Only Place.....Apple pie...hmmm.

Then an occasional trip to Nandi hills on our Rx 100...You will be lucky to find some souls on this stretch.

Gone are the days... Too bad

Last edited by Samurai : 24th August 2010 at 20:09. Reason: Rule #11
Old 24th August 2010, 20:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Talking about ORR and Yelahanka, there used to be very little people around during the days on ORR and traffic used to get very thin post 7pm it used to be a bit scarry post 7 as you cant find a soul out...

Bellary road used to get lots of truck trffic and jams due to this was common, the hiway used to pass yelahanka town. lots of huge trees on both the sides made this road look very nice...

Used to take my bike(Shogun) to a mech who was in yelhanka town and i used to be moe then happy as it used to feel am going on a ride. a a normal practise i used to ride to Nandi hills to test the bike. Nandihill was completly cut off and the moment you exit yelhanka usd to feel we are on are way to the heaven...

miss it!

Most Viewed