Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 20:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?

^ ^ Some of the lanes of Indranagar and Jaynagar still do have that old charm
Old 9th April 2012, 20:45   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Indeed I agree with many. Bangalore is ruined because of these corporates only.
I don't really agree with that statement! As an "outsider" who first hated, and now has grown to like the city, you may take my comments with a pinch of salt. But, having lived in practically all parts of the country, including the extreme North-East, every place changes over time, and not all the changes are for the good!

From what I've seen, the politics in Karnataka is one of the most shallow that in the country. I'm sure the immigrant population of techies could be doing better than what they're doing. But, I don't see them going out of their way to spoil the city! It's the average apathy of the average Bangalorean which has spoiled the city that so many have loved since childhood, and many more have grown to love after coming here from "outside"!

There are more "corporations per sq. km" in many other cities within Asia itself, and dare I say, Gurgaon has a much higher density than Bangalore in terms of "corporations"! But, the public at large is much more concerned and aware of it's rights!

It all boils down to what "we the people" want! Despite being an "immigrant" (a sad term to be used within my own country), I as well as a few of my friends try to be updated on local politics, regularly participate in polls, trying to make an informed choice, and don't contribute to the culture of bribery! Perhaps very small acts, but we try our best. If all of us did, it would certainly be a much better place to live!
Old 10th April 2012, 09:28   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
I don't really agree with that statement! As an "outsider" who first hated, and now has grown to like the city, you may take my comments with a pinch of salt.
There is always a different perspective and a different angle of view for a native of a particular place and a new immigrant. New Bangalore is the new IT avatar. I really say that if you had seen the old Bangalore, you will surely curse the current city.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007

There is always a different perspective and a different angle of view for a native of a particular place and a new immigrant. New Bangalore is the new IT avatar. I really say that if you had seen the old Bangalore, you will surely curse the current city.
Cursing the current city is fine!! But, rather than solve the problems, what's the benefit of cursing the "outsiders"?? It's an ostrich like behavior that will not get us anywhere!!
Old 10th April 2012, 17:00   #95
BHPian

I'm wary of those folks who keep going, "oh do you remember this, do you remember that", "in those days....", "how much has changed....", etc.

Heck come on, the whole world keeps changing every minute. It is nature. This is how mankind developed over the past during the several Ages and civilizations. You can't stop change. It will be positively primieval to keep thinking of the old and not focus on the present and look forward to the future.

Didn't mean to offend anyone; this is my perspective of things.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:31   #96
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Below is the Pic of Town hall, one can notice that Canara Bank H.O is still not built! Have posted the same pics in Nostalgic cars thread.

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-1.jpg

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-4.jpg

So beautiful the roads and the circles were back then!

And then a decade later, this is what happened!

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-2.jpg

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-3.jpg

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 30th October 2013 at 22:32.
Old 31st October 2013, 11:29   #97
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Jayanagar residents. Look at these pics!

Ashoka Pillar, back then!

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-aa.jpg

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-th15pillar_1518207f.jpg
Old 31st October 2013, 16:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Jayanagar residents. Look at these pics!
As an longtime resident of the area ( now away due to career reasons) , this bought a lump in my throat , thanks for sharing.
Old 31st October 2013, 18:25   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would not blame the influx of people for Bangalore's state today. I would blame it on the unplanned approach being taken towards the city's development.

Completely agree with you.

I was watching a program on Discovery the other day about how beautifully cities like Sydney and Melbourne are planning for the next wave of immigration as well as how brilliantly they planned and managed the influx of people these last twenty years.

Karnataka is being ruined by its political apathy and the curse of corruption and lack of forward planning.

Take a view of China and see how brilliantly they are architecting living and working spaces for the next generations to come! Along with connectivity, infrastructure, transportation and just about everything else!

I have no idea when, if ever, we in India will reach such levels!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks