Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 22:42   #61
BANNED

An outrageous mail

Hi friends,

I am aware this kind of bogus mails are doing rounds since long, i had also mentioned it somewhere on this forum.

NOTE:Moderators kindly merge this with some existing threads if available.

Dear brother,

Thanks . For more information, this money belongs to our deceased customer, late Mr. Basheer Zubair. He was an owner of a construction firm and was also a major dealer on GOLD and DIAMOND. He died in the year 2005 in air crash in his native country Afghanistan with his family and since then, nobody has applied to our bank for the release of this money to him/ her as the next of kin or business partner. It is therefore upon this discovery that I now decided to make this business proposal to you and release the money to you as the business partner to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and I don't want this money to go into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill. I wish to inform you that 50% of this money will be for you as foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account, while the remaining 50% would be for me.

I wish to inform you that I have every information that will prove that you are the next of kin or business partner to the deceased person because the man in question did not issue any will before he died alongside his family and supposed next of kins. For this reason the bank is ready to welcome any person who will come up as next of kin to the deceased by showing some proof like his account details and the balance therein.

You should understand that this money has over stayed in our bank. I have made all the necessary investigations regarding this transaction and I am assuring you that there are no risks involved. All you have to do now is to arrange for a good receiving bank account into which our bank shall transfer this money in your favour as the business partner of the deceased.

I shall send to you a text of an application which you shall re-write and send to our Foreign Remittance office. I will be here to monitor and protect all the process in your interest. I am assuring you that this transaction will go successfully as we plan it.

Please reply immediately so I can send you the text of application and remember to maintain the secrecy and confidentiality of the deal. I have my trust and confidence in you. Don't fail to call me on my private phone no. +226-78810747 when you receive this mail for more clarifications.

Thanking you for your understanding.

Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours Faithfully,
Sheriff Mohammed

Howlarious, But how do we get this guy to task.

Any place where we can report such crimes happening, kindly suggest.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th August 2009 at 23:36. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

I have replied to such mails, have never received a response

The only information they may gather is mine is an active email account.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Howlarious, But how do we get this guy to task.

Any place where we can report such crimes happening, kindly suggest.
Most of the time there is no guy behind such mails. It's an infected machine which is sending thousands of such emails to lakhs of users.

Such programs are called Spambots - Spambot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:08   #64
BHPian

I suppose Bangy Police will have a cyber crimes division.

Kerala Police arrested a Nigerian conman last week on what appears to be a similar scam.

Quote:
The Kerala police have arrested a Nigerian national, a member of the notorious ‘419’ fraudsters or ‘Nigerian bank fraudsters’ who have duped several people in South India of crores of rupees through an email racket.

The 34-year-old Nigerian, who claims his name is Shaba Abdul Razak, was taken into custody at the Bangalore airport on Thursday after a month-long operation with the support of the police in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Puducherry. He was brought to Kannur and arrested on Saturday after two days of interrogation.
Nigerian online fraudster lands in police net

BEWARE!

Last edited by darklord : 20th August 2009 at 23:15. Reason: News link
Old 20th August 2009, 23:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Welcome to the 419 Eater
Old 20th August 2009, 23:21   #66
BHPian

Nigerian 419 scam, woohoo
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:30   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The automobile version of the Nigerian email scam. Got it in email today. Any one seen anything like this before??

Quote:
Hello,
My name is Mary, I search and saw your email address on the net, i want you to know that i have a Mercedes-Benz that i want to give out but i don't know if you will be able to take good care of the Mercedes-Benz for me.i have some problem with me that is why i want to give out the Mercedes-Benz, because of the promise i have made to my husband before he pass away.I lost my Husband in car accident, he was on his way to pick up my Daughter from school that was where the accident happen, but police said that he might have lost his mind before the crash occurred. His car ran off the road and hit a tree.the driver of the car that is coming at his back said the vehicle veered off the road and struck a tree, "No other vehicles were involved. There was no illegal or unsafe operation.he was going along just fine, but then veered into the median strip."Before he die he bought a Mercedes-Benz for us, He want us to go on a long travel to don caster south Yorkshire England, with the Mercedes-Benz,he want all the family to go together, so before he pass away he said i should come and meet him at the hospital he told me that i should give the Mercedes-Benz out to someone i don't know, so that is why i am sending you this email, Let me know if you are going to take good care of the mercedes-Benz for me.i know it will be hard for you to believe me. i want to give it out because i have promise my Husband that i will give it out, the more i see the Mercedes-Benz the more i think about him because i love my Husband so much i could not stand it anymore. pls take the Mercedes-Benz away from me and take good care of it. if you are interested let me know. The mercedes-Benz is in perfect working condition with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! The title is clear and I have already signed a release for the title to be transferred. You'll also receive all the papers required for registration , owner manual, keys, a give contract already signed by me. I must inform you that currently I'm in Birmingham England where I'm staying. my daughter Sandra is schooling in London. 2008 MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E280 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, ABS, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Fog lights, Front armrest, Electrically adjustable seats, Headlight washers,Immobilisers,, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, CD changer, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, Private number plates, One year M.O.T, NEW Battery, Car do not have any scratch or dent's, car is in very good condition, clean in and out...

E-mail me for Pics.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Khan,

It says "Email me for Pics", so did you?

If you did, do share the "pics" that you might receive.
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:32   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Most of the time there is no guy behind such mails. It's an infected machine which is sending thousands of such emails to lakhs of users.

Well, it is a guy / group which creates those spam bots and hosts the machines which receive responses to the spams.

Right now, Igot a mail, originating in Korea, purporting to be from IDBI bank.

The images are hosted at NIT, Kurukshetra.

This is from the source:- I have removed some dots and slashes to avoid automatic link parsing by the forum software.

img src="http://www dot nitkkr dot ac dot in slash DBA slash images/idbi_logo.jpg" border="0" height="47" width="200"
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Well, it is a guy / group which creates those spam bots and hosts the machines which receive responses to the spams.
Absolutely agree. The machines have not yet gained the intelligence to send out thousands of spams themselves. Of course there is some guy/group behind infecting/using the machines as spambots.

Email is such an open protocol, people use it for all sorts of phishing/spoofing and it is very very easy to do that.
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
The images are hosted at NIT, Kurukshetra.
Gadzooks! That is my alma mater, the college I graduated from. Really sad that people in my college are resorting to phishing.
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:16   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
That is my alma mater, the college I graduated from. Really sad that people in my college are resorting to phishing.
Looks more like they are r00t3d / 0wn3d. (errr.. somebody has broken into the NIT, KKR servers.)

Given their security set up (look at uptime dot netcraft dot com), I guess breaking in into those servers would be a cake walk. (some database flaw has been utilised - look at the URL).

If you know some staff there, I guess you should give them a call.
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Looks more like they are r00t3d / 0wn3d. (errr.. somebody has broken into the NIT, KKR servers.)

Given their security set up (look at uptime dot netcraft dot com), I guess breaking in into those servers would be a cake walk. (some database flaw has been utilised - look at the URL).

If you know some staff there, I guess you should give them a call.
I don't think this is a security flaw from NIT, KKR. It's just an image that is hosted on their server and some bad guys have a link to the image in their spam messages.

If you search for "idbi logo" in Google Images, this particular link appears as a second result. Hence the spammers used it for their purpose. Nothing to worry about. It's a publicly available file which unfortunately is used in a bad context.
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:47   #74
BANNED

@Gandhi - now, that is interesting. Why should NIT, KKR post IDBI's (probably trademarked) logo? That too in a directory named "DBA"?

The site does not look like it uses some content management system. So, why have a directory named DBA? The images are at places like

"http://www.nitkkr.ac.in/images/nitk.jpg"

;-)
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:42   #75
BHPian

Quote:
@Gandhi - now, that is interesting. Why should NIT, KKR post IDBI's (probably trademarked) logo? That too in a directory named "DBA"?

The site does not look like it uses some content management system. So, why have a directory named DBA? The images are at places like

"http://www.nitkkr.ac.in/images/nitk.jpg"

;-)
IDBI is one of the recruiters at NIT KKR (and hence the logo), have a look at this link - Placements: Business Schoool, National Institute of Technology

Now don't ask me why this page is under DBA folder .

EDIT: My guess for DBA is Department of Business Administration.

Mystery solved?

Last edited by Gandhi : 23rd August 2009 at 14:46.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed