Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 13:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
The person you are mentioning might be someone who had carried contrabands not poppy seeds/ trivial items , anyways what I mean to say that Western government have muscle & might to get there citizens out of trouble which we don’t have at all here.
Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe | News

Quote:
A search by customs officials uncovered a speck of cannabis weighing just 0.003g - so small it would be invisible to the naked eye and weighing less than a grain of sugar - on the tread of one of his shoes.
Wrong on both counts. Caught for having a speck of cannabis on his shoe tread. And jailed for 4 years. More cases if you care to read the whole article.

You were saying?
Old 7th September 2010, 15:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,
Yesterday, I came to know of a case from a friend of mine which is very scary. One of his friends was traveling to UK via Dubai.
Am I misinformed?

Because I do not understand why Dubai authorities are worried about anything that a transit passenger is carrying? Because he is just transitting via Dubai and would never enter the Kingdom of Dubai!

For example: I bought 2 liters of alcohol in UK and my transit is Bahrain. 2liters is much more than the admissible limit for Bahrain! But I still carried it as my destination is India! And no one questioned me!

It beats me! Could someone clarify?

Am I being too sceptical to call this mail forward just another forward that propogates unnecessary fears? This is notwithstanding the gravity of the mistake of carrying a poppy seeds or whatever INTO Dubai!

P.S: I worked in an Airport construction project!
Old 7th September 2010, 16:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

On a recent flight to india from Uk in Emirates, they stopped so many passengers in Dubai for having Alcohol in their hand bags brought from UK's duty free even though they were on a transit flight.

One American dude got a Whiskey worth 90 pounds plus and they just did not let the whiskey through. He demanded a reciept of the same, so that he could take it back while going on his transit flight but they just did not relent.

One Indian guy and me fought for this guy for like 15 min but the authorities were downright rude. Ultimately they kept the bottle and the America just called it 'charity' on their face and left.

The reason being, U pass this point, U go into the airpot, U pass this onto someone on the airpot who stays in Dubai and there the 'liquid' is in Dubai.

Totally Unfair rules though

Last edited by humyum : 7th September 2010 at 16:15.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

At least for transit passengers, they can take the stuff away and then deliver them back to the persons inside the aircraft.

OT :
Anyway there are many such horror stories about Dubai. Some of them are here - The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
Old 7th September 2010, 16:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

No wish ever to set foot there (or in a couple of its neighbours), even just to change planes.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
AFAIK transit passenger would not be checked by customs, nor would be their check in baggages!

However, your hand baggage will be checked! One can however ask all their queries to their airlines.

Note: Middle East laws are pesky! I once met a stranded student in airport because he was not allowed to pass through Bahrain, just because he was a student from Oman! No amount of showing proofs that he would fly off the next day were heard to. He had to put up in the terminal for 30 hours!
The incident reported here is same as my case. That is, the person was in Transit. And still he was detained and jailed. That's why I am worried.

While i will make sure i follow their rules i am still concerned over medicines. There are some restriction that says even a minor amount of any drug found in medicine could possibly get us jailed. In that case, even with a prescription they won't allow which is a major cause for worry.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:09   #22
BHPian

Ridiculous! I think the victims must write to the UN or someone who has the authority to persuade the UAE government.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The incident reported here is same as my case. That is, the person was in Transit. And still he was detained and jailed. That's why I am worried.

While i will make sure i follow their rules i am still concerned over medicines. There are some restriction that says even a minor amount of any drug found in medicine could possibly get us jailed. In that case, even with a prescription they won't allow which is a major cause for worry.
There are two cases here:

1) If the incident is indeed true, you may want to reschedule your flight through other transits. Talk to your agent and tell him clearly that you DO NOT want to travel through Dubai. Delay if it is required. It is better to avoid than to be sorry! It will be a tough decision but will be worth it if you are really doubtful about the things you carry!

2) If the incident is false, you could however check with the airlines if there would be any trouble. If you are still doubtful you have only one safe option, avoiding it!
Old 7th September 2010, 19:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
There are two cases here:

1) If the incident is indeed true, you may want to reschedule your flight through other transits. Talk to your agent and tell him clearly that you DO NOT want to travel through Dubai. Delay if it is required. It is better to avoid than to be sorry! It will be a tough decision but will be worth it if you are really doubtful about the things you carry!

2) If the incident is false, you could however check with the airlines if there would be any trouble. If you are still doubtful you have only one safe option, avoiding it!
Whoa, now you are making me even more scared. Regarding your first case. I can't do that. I can't reschedule nor can I delay. Only option is to cancel, hit a penalty of $200 and look for other airline. But its during peak time, that is 15th Dec and tickets are not available. And Emirates is the only airline that takes shortest time to reach from SFO-AMD with just 1 stop over. So its a concern. But i will talk to the agent and see what he says.

Finally, the only option i have is not to bring any food and medicine if I am to travel.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Whoa, now you are making me even more scared. Regarding your first case. I can't do that. I can't reschedule nor can I delay. Only option is to cancel, hit a penalty of $200 and look for other airline. But its during peak time, that is 15th Dec and tickets are not available. And Emirates is the only airline that takes shortest time to reach from SFO-AMD with just 1 stop over. So its a concern. But i will talk to the agent and see what he says.

Finally, the only option i have is not to bring any food and medicine if I am to travel.
Get an NOC from the Dubai embassy here in India. Then travel with that.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

I disagree. There are reports on the net of Westerners who have had similar fate as well, owing to their ignorance of the laws in the UAE. So, as mentioned, lets not generalize.
Quite possible.
British Couple caught in the act of Sex on the beach was ... Deported.. Not Jailed

What more to say
Old 7th September 2010, 20:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey sorry if I sounded frightening, I was just trying to be caustic about the rules in Dubai that's all!

I do have some knowledge about how passengers/Passenger's baggage is handled in Intnl Airport and what was mentioned in the starting of the thread was complete contrary to my knowledge and hence my concern.

I never traveled through dubai in the circumstances you are going to be, but going by the general perception you have to be doubly sure!

But as far as I know check in baggage WILL NOT BE CHECKED during transit!

The airport authorities will not have the infrastructure to scan even the transit baggage! The baggage just gets transferred from one plane to the other! But they WILL check your hand baggage so keep that clear!

All the best and do not get stressed up too much!

cheers!
Old 7th September 2010, 21:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

These Arab countries and their laws are just crazy and they can do anything so jus stay away from these guys.

thats the reason after reading so many horror stories, i have never taken a flight with their carriers and airports.

take a direct flight and if not possible transit thru Europe and use a europeon or indian carrier.

Try to save some 100 bucks by flying with these middle eastern carriers can turn nasty.

cheers
Old 7th September 2010, 21:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree, but it is as a matter of principle that I won't take those airlines, just as I won't support the Sri Lankan national airline either. We must admit that thousands of people are flying by middle-east airlines, and passing through those airports, every day. I have done a couple of times, some years ago. Let's not overestimate the "dangers".

Singapore is strict too, even over stuff like chewing gum. Their immigration form says "death penalty for drug smugglers" which is enough to make you feel nervous even though you've never been near an illegal drug! (oh, I think it is just life in prison for chewing gum )
Old 7th September 2010, 23:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

OK. Perhaps it's not getting too political if I just mention, in passing how many SL Tamil friends I have in London.

Whether not contributing to a country's economy is at all effective as a protest against its government (heck, I know, on an individual level it's worse than futile!) is a whole other discussion, and we'd better not go there...

Most Viewed