Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 16:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

This one's been with the family for a long time..
Have included the chair for an idea on the size.

It has 3 options for chimes - every quarter of an hr (Top right dial)
Option to chime or be silent (Top left dial)
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-full.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-top.jpg  

Old 31st July 2011, 23:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Hatari,

Good to see that tall standing Grand Father. What is the smaller dial with in the primary clock dial below the 12 oclock position?

I'm surprised to see the grand father clock post when I visited this forum to post my latest acquisition that is my Hamilton, West Germany made Grand Father clock with Moon phase.

Here is my latest addition that ticks, chimes and decorates my living room here in New Jersey.

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-5930415165_e9f43b28f0_b.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-5930415033_88ff493d8e_b.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 31st July 2011 at 23:35.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:49   #63
BHPian

I heard old Mr. Vijay Nayak passed away a few months ago .. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:48   #64
BHPian

adding pictures of my latest addition with Chime
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dt2.jpg  

Old 10th September 2011, 18:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

@shivshanker : Its a really nice piece.Congrats on the acquisition.BTW Is it brand new. If yes then how much did it cost and from where did you got it. Just curious to know current market prices of these timepieces.
Old 10th September 2011, 19:26   #66
BHPian

Hello Samsag12,

yes this is brand new, checkout www.nayaksclock.com for new ones

also if u are interested in picking up used ones, there is a used clock dealer in Bombay's chor bazaar . .called Sun Time, he has some beautiful ones.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 13:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Our friendly BEST volvo bus driver & conductor today invied us to their Bus Depot in South Mumbai for a visit of theri depot.
One thing that caught my eye is this age old, STILL WORKING, attendance card punching clock. They even have a digital one next to it but the smart cards required are not yet issued to all employees:
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-19112011298.jpg

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 19:05   #68
BHPian

Mr Nayak passed away nearly 2-3yrs ago iirc. Shortly after that, his son who was handling the show passed away while he was on his honeymoon.

Here are some pics i took of the workshop while my clock was being serviced.

Cheers!

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011126.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011127.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011128.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011129.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011130.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011132.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011133.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-resize-06082011134.jpg
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 20:54   #69
BHPian

@James, I used to deal with a "Mr. Vijay Nayak", not sure if he is Sr. or Jr.

How old are these Pics.??!, do u pass by Jeppoo often.?

If Yes, please can u identify the Triangular clock second from Left . .first picture and get a price for me.!

will highly appreciate it
Old 19th November 2011, 21:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
@James, I used to deal with a "Mr. Vijay Nayak", not sure if he is Sr. or Jr.

How old are these Pics.??!, do u pass by Jeppoo often.?

If Yes, please can u identify the Triangular clock second from Left . .first picture and get a price for me.!

will highly appreciate it
Gosh i cant quite recall senior's name but Jr. was Bharath. I stay about 2kms from the workshop but i dont go there quite often. The clocks on the wall at the entrance were serviced pieces waiting for pickup. the pics were taken in August so im guessing those clocks wouldn't be there right now.
Old 21st November 2011, 15:30   #71
BHPian

Nice thread. Now this may sound little off topic, but do we get wrist watch with winding mechanism (not self winding) anymore?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 22nd November 2011, 08:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Nice thread. Now this may sound little off topic, but do we get wrist watch with winding mechanism (not self winding) anymore?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Yes, There are many brands and models are available with key winding mechanism. If I'm correct the Titan Model no. 9277WL01 is key winding watch. You can still buy the good old brand HMT too with winding mechanism as the company is still alive and many people seems to forgotten about the state owned tool maker.
Old 12th December 2011, 09:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

I don't really know if I struct a deal which is for a custom made New England floor (hall) clock or one that was on production. In any case today was a lucky day I could source myself a clock that has big brands attached to it.

Floor clock body is designed in a way to utilize it as a decorative and storage cabinet. Three open floors and forth one on the bottom equipped with a door. The dial of this clock is uniquely hand pained with wonderful details.

The mechanism in the clock is made by Franz Hermle of West Germany, the mechanism has vertical balancing wheel with top wheel for speed adjustments.

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc00608.jpg

Name:  DSC00609.JPG
Views: 2225
Size:  69.8 KB

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc00610.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc00611.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc00612.jpg

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-fhs130020.jpg
This is what I could gather from the internet when I was searching for the details of the movement. hmm not bad Franz Hermle is a recognized one.

In 1922 our founder Mr. Franz Hermle founded the Franz Hermle Clock Company located in Gosheim / Württemberg, a small town in southern Germany’s Black Forest region.

Within ten years the company became known as one of the most efficient manufacturers of clock movements in the clock industry. Even though the first half of the 20th Century brought with it many difficulties to overcome, including the complete dismantling of the factory after the World War II, Franz Hermle and his sons' dedication allowed them to prosper while other companies struggled.

Franz Hermle passed away in 1953 and left a modern and prosperous operation to his sons Gebhard, Alfred, Hans and Heinrich Hermle. With tremendous willpower and energy, they continued to build the company into the worldwide leader in manufacturing mechanical movements and clocks.

In 1977, Hermle decided to establish another manufacturing facility, Hermle Black Forest Clock Company to serve the North American market out of Amherst, Virginia, USA. Hermle Headquarters in southern Germany is now in its third generation, still family owned and operated. Hermle employs over 200 people in 3 locations in both Germany and USA. In October 2010, Hermle Gosheim was rebranded as Hermle Uhrenmanufacktur GmbH and as of January 2011, Hermle Black Forest Clocks rebranded itself as Hermle North America.

Last edited by trammway : 12th December 2011 at 09:20.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:09   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Yes, There are many brands and models are available with key winding mechanism. If I'm correct the Titan Model no. 9277WL01 is key winding watch. You can still buy the good old brand HMT too with winding mechanism as the company is still alive and many people seems to forgotten about the state owned tool maker.
Yes, confirmed HMT is still available, not sure about a few details though.

My dad was gifted a HMT Kanchan (21 Jewels, gold plated automatic) in 1976 by his company. The watch was costing at that time around Rs. 1000/-.

Fast forward to 2010, I found the old watch in a closet in my parents home got it to Bombay and took it to the authorized service center in Dadar. the same watch is still being produced and the price now is Rs. 1500/- only.

The sales man confrimed it is the smae model and specifications too, could not understand the logic, since I had double parked on the busy streets of Kabutar khana Dadar, picked up the watch after paying him 250 for servicing and walked out a happy man.

However, the nerd I am when it comes to watches, go there on a day when I have company transport, and pick up two automatic beatuies for 3500 Rs. in total, they hardly worked for a month.

Need to go back to Dadar now, but .. have other priorities.

summary: HMT still produces, quality unkown. .which is SAD
Old 21st May 2012, 14:12   #75

Cuckoo Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Pse visit M.Vaman Nayak & Sons has been manufacturing classic & customized Grandfather Clocks ,Wall clock,Jewellers Clock,Regulator clock, this the same famous Nayak's clock that tramway has shown in the first post. The company still exists and is still producing clocks.

The smaller one is a replica of a cuckoo clock which I picked up 15 years ago from Zurich.
Any idea if there is any other way to contact these manufacturers (the next time we visit Mlr we can try visiting the place).
The weblink seems to be outdated now hence requesting.

We are in the lookout for a cuckoo clock and would like some suggestions as to where can we get it (preferably in Bangalore)

Also what would be the price of it and which make is the best?

Most Viewed