Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 23:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Clocks are always played a major role with everyone's life, until the internet era started most of us remembered very important part of every day's life that is winding the clock on a daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis.

When quartz clocks introduced we started forgetting the charm of bing bong sound and also the big clock towers were started vanishing from the cities.

Quartz clocks and Digital clocks were kind of evolution that changed many life style. (Similar stories are there for mobile phone to wipe off telephones and calendar too)

I started thinking recently to hunt for the beautiful old clocks that were running for hundred of years with the gears and springs. These clocks are made for generations, so guys let us use this thread to showcase all the clocks that you own.

Table clocks, Manual winding type clocks, Automatic(?) clocks, Quartz type, Pendulum types, Chain types, Chiming clocks, cooko clocks, wall clocks, digital clocks, analog types, imported or locally made keep your clocks to take part in this thread. Do mention story behind the clocks if you have anything to share. (Please post the pocket watches, Hip, Necklace and wrist watches in the What watch do you thread as they fall under personal watch category)

Here is my collection:

Nayak's (Made in India) over 30 years old.

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-16092010008.jpg

Seth Thomas (Made in USA) over 100 years old, This clock sold by P. OR and Sons., Madras & Rangoon under their company name

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-16092010010.jpg

Westclox (Made in USA) Celebrating 100th year (1911 model)

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-westclox.jpg

Hibino (Made in Japan) over 50 years old.

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-19092010012.jpg

I'm hunting for few more Germany, Swiss and French clocks just keep watching for more...

Last edited by trammway : 20th September 2010 at 00:03.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are these all owned by you?

I remember having a "Big ben" style ding-dong clock at my grandfather's place.
Used to be always few minutes behind the actual time, though.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are these all owned by you?

I remember having a "Big ben" style ding-dong clock at my grandfather's place.
Used to be always few minutes behind the actual time, though.
thats right bro, the pictures posted are my clocks in my house. I wish to see more pictures coming up from all the clock collectors ;-)
Old 20th September 2010, 16:00   #4
BHPian

Dear Tramway,
loved the pics of your masterpieces. I am the proud owner of an antique Ansonia wall clock-its about a 100 years old and the talking piece of all visitors/guests to my place. It runs perfectly and the rings/chimes are music to my ears.

Regards,
Col J H Mayne
Old 20th September 2010, 19:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Tramway,
loved the pics of your masterpieces. I am the proud owner of an antique Ansonia wall clock-its about a 100 years old and the talking piece of all visitors/guests to my place. It runs perfectly and the rings/chimes are music to my ears.

Regards,
Col J H Mayne
Whatever the manual piece of art, be it ping pong or ting tong or chime it is surely music to ear. Thanks for the comments.

If I remember it correctly Ansonia is also made in Japan right ? Could you share some pics of that beauty ?

If my memory serves me correctly, the chimes are the clocks with 3 keys holes. Does you Ansonia got 3 or 2 key holes ?

Last edited by trammway : 20th September 2010 at 19:32.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Whatever the manual piece of art, be it ping pong or ting tong or chime it is surely music to ear. Thanks for the comments.

If I remember it correctly Ansonia is also made in Japan right ? Could you share some pics of that beauty ?

If my memory serves me correctly, the chimes are the clocks with 3 keys holes. Does you Ansonia got 3 or 2 key holes ?
If I remember it correctly Ansonia is also made in Japan right ? Hello trammway Bro ,

Ansonia is AMERICAN !!!
pioneers in Clock movement from 1800 onwards ( not sure about the year though)
Think they were the first Clock manufacturer to get their stuff " Patented" , this patent right was challenged by Japanese, Famous Japanese Clock manufacturer ,went up to the extent of printing on their clock dials like: " This clock has the movement as Americas Ansonia movement"
I have one such clock...." VELOIATI" ( year of production 1909)
will post the pics tomorrow

Last edited by powertwin : 20th September 2010 at 21:20. Reason: spell mistake
Old 20th September 2010, 22:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
If I remember it correctly Ansonia is also made in Japan right ? Hello trammway Bro ,

Ansonia is AMERICAN !!!
pioneers in Clock movement from 1800 onwards ( not sure about the year though)
Think they were the first Clock manufacturer to get their stuff " Patented" , this patent right was challenged by Japanese, Famous Japanese Clock manufacturer ,went up to the extent of printing on their clock dials like: " This clock has the movement as Americas Ansonia movement"

Oh yeah.. I remember that now. I was thinking Ansonia is Japanese who challenged some American company. Thanks for correcting the confusion

We are waiting here for your clocks to march in this thread... waiting for Clock from coimbatore to rain here in this place
Old 21st September 2010, 20:36   #8
BHPian

Welaiti Clock - S- Accurate

Quote:

Ansonia is AMERICAN !!!
Its WELAITI not Veloiati
Great stuff works fine needs some screwing every fortnight !!
Still has some bits of PDI paper stickers inside the wooden Octagon !!
wonderful glass painting on the doors, gleaming till date

Have too climb up to click more pics to show the Dial details...for time being.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I too have 2 Seikosha, Japan clocks which still work (touchwood) One is a 8day clock and the other looks the same as the one posted by powertwin. Both of them are more than 70 to 80 yrs old, as i am told. Apart from that i have a few wekup make fully mechanical table clocks with buzzer. Will post the pics of the clocks tomorrow.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Oh yeah.. I remember that now. I was thinking Ansonia is Japanese who challenged some American company. Thanks for correcting the confusion

We are waiting here for your clocks to march in this thread... waiting for Clock from coimbatore to rain here in this place
Not much to cherish as nearly 3 or 4 of them at Watch fixers (???)
Any way will post pics of Scotish " WESTCLOX" & a Canadian Big Ben soon!!
Have picked that Nayaks ( will be screwed by Giri weekly once !!)
Any way posting pics of the quartz clock gifted by DCM Toyota guys>>>
Though a free gift, note the finish of Rose wood, Brass bezel, gold plated dial & one of the best Japanese quartz movement( sorry forgot the name)
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14061-copy.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14060-copy.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2010, 19:56   #11
BHPian

Spotted a beautiful GERMAN Clock!!!

NOT FOR SALE !!! & Its not mine
A SKF bearing dealer had this wonderful clock, the clock was in housed in side a real double row Ball bearing( balls was arrested not to roll), immaculately plated, with a quality , which we can't even imagine in a Industrial component ( the bearing)
Here are the few pics for viewing pleasure :::
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14024-copy.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14025-copy.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14026-copy.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14027-copy.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2010, 20:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Have picked that Nayaks ( will be screwed by Giri weekly once !!)
Here is the Nayaks....which will be in Giri's control hereafter !!
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-5.jpg  

Old 24th September 2010, 01:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Nayaks....which will be in Giri's control hereafter !!
Congratulations!

For those who doesn't know who the Giri as mentioned by Powertwin, Giri is the assistant of powertwin who is attracted towards all the gizmos and does his job neatly.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:20   #14
BHPian

ESQUIRE- India's Best Quartz Clocks

It is as simple as that any quality product...will be costly when compared with so called cheap & best stuffs

ESQUIRE Quartz Clocks, came to Indian market at mid '70 s
my clock featuring in this post was a 1976 production clock, think this is the only clock to use best metal look Sulfone materials as its case & with real good Japanese quartz movement ( Quartz movement belongs to a subsidary unit of Seiko) beleive it till now ( for past 34 years , we have not repaired or replaced the quartz movement)
I do remember it was something like 1K at '76.
Plenty of C&B clocks flooded the market to wipe of this great clock before mid '80 s
On my opinion this is my " QUARTZ SETH THOMAS" akka Esquire
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14153-copy.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-sdc14155-copy.jpg  

Old 24th September 2010, 20:38   #15
BANNED

Weren't the Nayak's clocks made in Kerala?

Even I have one. It unwinds pretty quick nowadays, so we no longer use it.

Also have an Omega wrist watch, no longer in use - some trouble with its winding spring. Do not have the guts to give it out for repair.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks