Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 23:37   #16
AWD
BHPian

OT but important, Khan you'll need better springs for your Gypsy than your bed to keep your back in prime form!
Old 26th September 2010, 23:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have been using springwell mattresses at home for about 10 years. THe one that is 10 years old is giving way but the one that are 8 and 5 years old, are great. If I have to buy again, I will buy springwell again.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:20   #18
BHPian

I have been using a Coir + Memory Foam mattress for the past one year. Bought it from Total Sarjapur Road for 19K ( 17.5 K after exchanging old mattress ). The memory foam is very comfortable and it adjusts according to the shape of your body. But I feel comfortable only when i'm sleeping on my back, not when i sleep sideways ( which is what i do most of the time ) .
Also, memory foam is the material that is used in most of the hospital beds. I would suggest a Spring + Memory foam combination, but go for a reputed brand rather than the indian ones.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:33   #19
BHPian

I have been using the SpineKare mattress from Kurlon for about 2 years now, will recommend anyday over other types which I have personally tried. I do suffer from back-ache and found this particular mattress good and comfortable. This model comes in 5 inches thickness only and that is sufficient. The memory foam adjusts to the body contours and thus provides better overall support. However, from what I read during my research before buying is that memory foam is not suggested for people who change sleeping position frequently, because the memory foam works with the body heat to change its form and softness over time. Might like to check the link below. Welcome to Kurlon
Old 28th September 2010, 11:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

As per my guy, he has advised against going for any other mattress which isn't Kurlon.
He has advised this though--
Welcome to Kurlon
In case you have any query, let me know
Old 28th September 2010, 11:44   #21
BANNED

I will be a bit suspicious of memory foam in a mattress. The reason it cna become really sticky if the power goes off. Will take the shape of your body! I have a memory foam pillow, that is great.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:53   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

you could try MMFOAM - reputed company.

But to me Kurlon back support is absolutely the best.
One gets a refreshing sleep on the Kurlon spine care/ back support mattress. Coir foam type. No tiredness and aches and pains when one wakes up.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

So, what did you finally buy khan_sultan? or still confused?
Old 1st October 2010, 14:51   #24
BHPian

one of my friend is in this line under a brand name "vita Bed", the product starts 20K upwards but I am told this this is the cutting edege technology and some german company which is the worlds no.1

I have not any reasearch but it seems that he is doing pretty well

btw, this friend is also into miltary spec ATV "Argo" selling only to govt sector in India, it is restricted for civilian use
Old 1st October 2010, 16:16   #25
VEA
BHPian

Khan, as a manufacturer of PU foam, rubberised coir and mattresses, let me give you my views on this.

For a given cost, the most comfortable and durable mattress is pure Latex Foam or Rubber foam mattresses with cavities. But it is very hard to find a quality rubber foam mattress at the moment. Latex prices are high and the manufacturers add fillers which makes the foam hard and it crumbles in a few years. If you buy this, make sure you get the best one.

Pocketed spring matresses are fine. But spring mattresses tends to be lined with lots of PU foam which does not breath well and emits heat. Even if you sleep in a/c you may feel the heat at the areas where you have contact with the mattress. Your back will most probably sweat if you are not in a/c. Some spring mattresses are lined with rubberised coir with only a small quantity of PU foam. this should be fine.

Rubberised coir mattresses are a VFM option. Again, dont buy the cheap ones, they are crap. Buy the soft and top quality ones. If you can manage to find a 6" rubberised coir mattress which has 2" latex foam on top, this could be the best option.

Pure PU foam mattresses are not suitable for hot climates. They are used widely in Europe and USA, but not very good for India.

Most 5* hotels use spring cot+mattress with a heavy dose of fibre/feather quilt on top. This makes them supremely comfy. Some might be too saggy around the middle. You have to use a soft feather filled pillow to complement the mattress.

Back pain is associated with the "sagging" of mattresses. It does not matter what mattress you sleep on, but if the bed has sagged in the area where you sleep on, you will wake up with a back pain.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:18   #26
BHPian

bumping up a old thread, but my query is very appropriate.

I need to purchase a 78 x 60 mattress. I have a old centuary mattress and get back ache every morning.

Now my budget is 10k. I can get a good coir mattress(Sleepwell, kurl on) or a basic bonnell spring mattress (Peps Restonic Luminous).

Which one would be better?
Old 24th April 2011, 13:57   #27
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post

I need to purchase a 78 x 60 mattress. I have a old centuary mattress and get back ache every morning.

Now my budget is 10k. I can get a good coir mattress(Sleepwell, kurl on) or a basic bonnell spring mattress (Peps Restonic Luminous).

Did you find something you liked? I'm looking to replace my 8 year old Dunlopillo mattress. The bed has sagged and I wake up with a bad back everyday.

There are so many brands and types now. They are quite pricey too. Want to pick something that is good VFM.
Old 24th April 2011, 14:40   #28
BANNED

you I got 2 6x3 mattresses made 5 years back. YOu have a choice of stuffing 12kgs or 18kgs of cotton. I started with 12 then upgraded to 18kgs to improve thickness height (ground clearance) and er ... ride quality.

You also have a choice of using ordinary cotton or best quality cotton@Rs.40+ per kg which looks nothing like the dirty cotton we are used to seeing in mattresses. Go for that one. Most probably the sight of ordinary cotton in the mattresses over the years since childhood has put you off from considering cotton as the most cost-effective and back friendly alternative. I also used the most expensive cloth material the shop had.

I expect my mattress to have a life of at least another 10 years without getting lumpy. With the priciest options the mattresses cost me around 2 - 3 K per piece (plus more for upgrade, don't recall price) and gives me great satisfaction at having saved 15K or more in money.

Youngsters or newly married people with an "active" life however will be very tempted by the bouncy ready made mattresses mentioned above however Even I find it tempting for that but nothing beats cotton in utilitarian and long-term value.

If you request the best materials to make it you will not regret it. Please visit a traditional mattress shop and look at options before you visit showrooms.

HTH
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 24th April 2011 at 14:44.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:40   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In my opinion one cant do better than one of those KURLON or Sleepwell back support oriented Coir Foam Mattresses.

I ve got one of those (6 inches thick) in my TV room on the Divan and occasionally I like to sleep there in the afternoons.

We've got a high tech Restolex or Restoflex Bonnell Spring 10 inch thick monster mattress in the main bedroom - this one is only 2 years old or so.

Comparing the two, believe me, I get a better sleep and my back feels far better rested on that 5 year old Kurlon Coir Foam Back Support mattress.

So much so that I sometimes feel like replacing the current one from the bedroom with a new Kurlon Back Support one.

Too soft and springy a mattress can give you as much trouble for your back as would too hard a mattress. Dont fall for the super glib sales pitch on Bonnell Springs and all that. ONe's spine has to rest on a flat, firm surface to give one proper rest. All these squishy soft mattresses do end up causing some level of discomfort. I m told that the best in terms of back support is a waterbed - but this is not always practical in our homes.

Go to a good showroom - lie down on and test out a couple of different types of mattresses and go with your OWN GUT INSTINCT and FEELING OF COMFORT. Nothing else matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post

Old 25th April 2011, 11:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

We have been using Kurl-on SpineKare mattress (5" thick) which comes with memory foam at the middle for the last 4+ years. We find it really great to get good sleep.

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th April 2011 at 11:38.

Most Viewed