Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 12:10   #106
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Hi,

i am looking for a King size 6x6 1/2 size mattress with 8inch thickness. I have shortlisted the following:
Sleepwell Regal
Sleepwell Latex Plus
Damro Organic Cotton with Springs.

Has anyone tried the Damro organic Cotton Mattress?How is Sleepwell Latex Plus and Regal?
Old 18th July 2013, 16:29   #107
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for 2 mattresses for my new house. One for a queen-sized bed and another for a single bed. So far we have used coir/foam as well as the cotton mattresses. Am thinking of going for coil ones now. Which brands are good? I find a lot of price variation.
Old 18th July 2013, 17:51   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, I am looking for 2 mattresses for my new house. One for a queen-sized bed and another for a single bed. So far we have used coir/foam as well as the cotton mattresses. Am thinking of going for coil ones now. Which brands are good? I find a lot of price variation.
Frankly coil spring mattresses are not all that great. We have been using one these last four years and it is now quite horrid. The bed is an Emperor size one measuring around 7.5 feet by 6.5 feet so the mattress has to be customized. This results in a few days lead time as required by the manufacturer.
I am planning on changing the mattress to a simple KurlOn back support or similar spine care mattress in coir foam. One needs a firm and comfortable surface to sleep on, not a squashy one. I find that 6 inch thickness is more than enough. All these 8 inchers etc are more hype than substance.
The Tempur mattresses are fantastic but they are really frightfully expensive!
A good firm mattress plus a pair of lovely goose down pillows is the ideal combination for a good restful sleep, in my opinion.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th July 2013 at 17:54.
Old 18th July 2013, 17:55   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One needs a firm and comfortable surface to sleep on, not a squashy one. I find that 6 inch thickness is more than enough. .
Thanks Shankar, very useful indeed.
Old 18th July 2013, 18:16   #110
BHPian

I found the pure foam based mattress to be most destructive on our body. It generates a lot of heat & does not help in alleviating pain from the body.

Quote:
I am planning on changing the mattress to a simple KurlOn back support or similar spine care mattress in coir foam. One needs a firm and comfortable surface to sleep on, not a squashy one. I find that 6 inch thickness is more than enough.
Isn't spine care very expensive, they used to be reasonable around 4-5 years back. Now it is priced in the 20-25k range.

Do checkout the duroflex kwilt deluxe, it is a VFM option. I recently purchased a 4 inch king size mattress for 8K, got 2 free pillows free

I am happy with it, it is firm and gives good support for the back.
Old 18th July 2013, 18:19   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I found the pure foam based mattress to be most destructive on our body. It generates a lot of heat & does not help in alleviating pain from the body.

Isn't spine care very expensive, they used to be reasonable around 4-5 years back. Now it is priced in the 20-25k range.

Do checkout the duroflex kwilt deluxe, it is a VFM option. I recently purchased a 4 inch king size mattress for 8K, got 2 free pillows free

I am happy with it, it is firm and gives good support for the back.
KurlOn Ortho back support mattresses are reasonably priced and really very very good for back support. One sleeps beautifully on those and wakes up feeling genuinely well rested.
In general a good mattress will set you back by Rs 15to 20K. Especially if one needs a monster sized one like my bed requires!
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:59   #112
BHPian

I looked up Snoozer Klassic (?Classic) today. I have one question with regards to the fabric used. It seems it will feel "warm." If you are using the AC, fine, but more often than not, we won't be using AC, so will it be warm?

In contrast, I saw a Sleepwell Zenith, which seemed quite good and the surface is not made of fabric that seems to produce so much heat.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got prices for this in Chennai:

Duroflex Rubberised Coir (5 inches) with memory foam (25 mm): 19,700 (MRP). For a queen size 6 ft/ 5 ft bed. Haven't talked discounts yet since I got these off the phone.

Haven't been able to find a mattress which comes in a 6 inch config and a 2 inch pure latex foam on top. That would be ideal.

What do you guys think? Which other mattresses should I go look at?

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th July 2013 at 11:07.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:20   #114

Hats off to previous contributors on this thread (though the conversation started quite a while back), learned a lot from going through it, punctuated by ever more confused/stressful visits to Kurlon and Sleepwell showrooms (only ones near my house in Kandivali East, Mumbai). As some one else mentioned, this seems to be the only useful source of information/largely intelligent discussion on mattresses in India.

Unfortunately, I'm still not much closer to a final decision. Am leaning towards the cotton mattress option (much,much lower cost+if it worked for the ancestors for decades, can't be all bad right?), but still unable to close the issue. (Trying not to appear cheapo to my new wife, and make the best decision, but she's probably already pissed off with my indecisiveness and the repeated unfruitful visits to the stores- a lose-lose situation)

One discussion I read from abroad seem to proclaim the joys of sleeping on a latex bed, which makes me curious about it

Does anyone know if there is some market/area in Mumbai where most of these distributors are located? Would like to visit one last time before closing this... Grateful for any useful inputs..

Also attaching an excel file of my options, for anyone with the enthu to go through/give some feedback..
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx mattresses.xlsx (13.5 KB, 2056 views)
Old 31st July 2013, 11:24   #115

Funnily, I don't see a thank button, would like to record my appreciation of so many helpful folks on this thread..
Old 5th August 2013, 15:56   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly coil spring mattresses are not all that great. We have been using one these last four years and it is now quite horrid. The bed is an Emperor size one measuring around 7.5 feet by 6.5 feet so the mattress has to be customized. This results in a few days lead time as required by the manufacturer.
I am planning on changing the mattress to a simple KurlOn back support or similar spine care mattress in coir foam. One needs a firm and comfortable surface to sleep on, not a squashy one. I find that 6 inch thickness is more than enough. All these 8 inchers etc are more hype than substance.
The Tempur mattresses are fantastic but they are really frightfully expensive!
A good firm mattress plus a pair of lovely goose down pillows is the ideal combination for a good restful sleep, in my opinion.
I'm searching for a mattress for my bed size 7 feet by 6 feet. I don't have much option here and have narrowed down to Kurlon Ortho 4" costing 17.5K and Kurlon Klassic 5" costing 21.5K. Now need a suggestion which one would be better of the two.

Shankar, where do we get goose down pillow in India.
Old 5th August 2013, 18:39   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

I'm searching for a mattress for my bed size 7 feet by 6 feet. I don't have much option here and have narrowed down to Kurlon Ortho 4" costing 17.5K and Kurlon Klassic 5" costing 21.5K. Now need a suggestion which one would be better of the two.

Shankar, where do we get goose down pillow in India.
Buy Ortho and you will enjoy super comfy sleep with excellent back support.

Goose Down pillows are available at Lifestyle Home Centre and should also be available at Shoppers Stop Home Stop, Westside, Maspar, Evok Home, PURE Home and Living etc.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:29   #118
BHPian

Decided to go all natural - got a cotton mattress (soft cotton) 60 kgs for a queen side bed made yesterday.

Total cost 8K - the person says it should serve 5-6 years before needing fluffing.
Diamond shaped channels hold the cotton in place so that the mattress keeps its shape for long.

Night 1 felt good - didnt get a typical backache that I sometimes get in my coir-foam kurl-on mattress.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:42   #119

Recently i have purchased 3 sobha restoplus alfa premium pocketed spring mattress. I have got a chance to visit their factory and decide to go for it, because of the quality of material they are using. Below is the material they have sent to me:

Advantages of spring mattresses over other types of bedding:

1. Spring Mattresses out performs all other types of bedding from stand points of Support Comfort and Durability.
2. The gentle up thrust of Spring mattresses lets body relax completely.
3. No bottoming out (center sinking as regularly seen in coir, foam or cotton Mattresses), hence good spinal support for better ergonomics.
4. Readily adjusts to any body contours and movement.
5. 70% of developed world sleeps on spring mattresses. Indian Population is fastly adopting this transition to Spring Mattresses.
6. Spring mattresses provide free air circulation throughout. Hence no heat builds up and the air passing continuously refreshes the mattress.
7. The core of the mattress is formed by a high coil count innerspring unit to provide ideal support.

Specific Advantages of SOBHA RESTOPLUS SPRING MATTRESSES:

1. Spring Core: The Wires used for SOBHA RESTOPLUS comes from Leggett & Platt, South Africa, considered to be the best mattress making wire available globally. The specific physical composition of the wire enables high tensile properties hence enhances durability of the spring Grid.

2. Springs: The Bonnell Springs used in the base grades of our mattresses are produced on most advanced machinery (Sphül, Switzerland) ensuring the most high quality mattresses. Springs uniform in shape and increased progressive resilience.

3. High quality insulators to prevent the cushioning layer from molding into coils.

4. Sobha Restoplus avoids the usage of Coir totally to prevent any bacterial formation as coir is a natural product and subject to various treatments. Sobha Restoplus uses Cotton Felt Instead.

5. Only Mattress manufacturer in entire Asia to have a mattress testing facility to validate our warranty terms.

6. Sobha Restoplus Spring mattresses are available in a varied range of comforts.

7. Sobha Restoplus Spring Mattress support different body weights. Because spring units are built to "Firm Up" as more weight is exerted, a Sobha Restoplus Spring Mattress, like no other kind, has reserve support. A heavy person receives as much buoyancy as the lightweight. And the lightweight gets its full share of gentle comfort. This controlled resiliency makes Sobha Restoplus Spring Mattresses with a matching boxsprings the preferred choice in sleeping comfort.

Sobha Restoplus Spring Mattresses are designed to satisfy the three attributes better:
1. Support - how the mattress set holds the body in proper alignment.
2. Comfort - how the mattress feels and
3. Durability - how long the mattress set provides the aforementioned qualities.
Classification in terms of Different Type of Springs:

1. Bonnell Spring Mattresses
2. Pocketed Spring Mattresses

Bonnell Spring Mattresses: These are the oldest ones and most commonly used. They have an hourglass shape, and the ends of the wire are knotted or wrapped around the top and bottom circular portion of the coil (round-topped and self tied).

Bonnell Spring mattresses are available in three grades:

1. Siesta : Hard
2. Snooze : Medium
3. Slumber : Soft
Pocketed Spring Mattresses: Pocket Springs are pre-compressed, individually encased coils. Individual encasement enables each spring to adjust independently of the others to perfectly support your body in any sleeping position. The best performing Pocket Spring design is hand-assembled; nested in a honeycomb pattern that minimizes the space between coils. This provides more points of support and a bed that is more responsive than any other spring mattress.
Our Pocket Spring mattresses also have more coils than most other mattresses. Our beds range from 400 to 960. Compare that with 380 - 860 in premium mattresses. More coils mean more "active" points in the mattress, providing better response and support for your body.

Advantages of Pocketed Spring mattresses:
1. Higher coil count in a given size of mattresses.
2. The smaller dia of the springs ensures larger no of pressure points in a particular area, hence increasing the support factor and also enabling the mattress to contour to body shape.
3. The pocketed spring mattresses being individual in nature avoid partner disturbances.

Classification in terms of Comfort:
1. Bonnell spring mattresses. Explained above
2. Bonnell Spring mattresses with Pillow top. Adds additional layers of comforting layers over the regular mattresses.
3. Bonnell Spring mattresses with Latex pillow top. Adds additional layers of comforting layer of latex over the regular mattresses.

4. Pocketed spring Mattresses. Explained above
5. Pocketed spring Mattresses with Pillow top. . Adds an additional layer of comforting layer over the regular mattresses.
6. Pocketed Spring Mattresses with Latex Pillow top. Adds an additional layer of comforting layer of latex over the regular mattresses.
7. Pocketed spring mattresses with latex Box top.

Jossy
Old 13th August 2013, 20:07   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I looked up Snoozer Klassic (?Classic) today. I have one question with regards to the fabric used. It seems it will feel "warm." If you are using the AC, fine, but more often than not, we won't be using AC, so will it be warm?
Most reputed mattress brands including Snoozer use knit fabric and there is no question of head production. Heat generation happens because of materials inside and memory foam mattresses are known for this (Look up hot flashes and memory foam on the internet).

However, if a mattress uses memory gel foam (which is a much more advanced version of memory foam), then you are good. Memory Gel foam layers in a mattress are good rather than a complete foam mattress. A good mattress should always be a combination of spring and foam. Spring offers support/resistance that is good for the back and foam offers comfort. You need both from a good mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Decided to go all natural - got a cotton mattress (soft cotton) 60 kgs for a queen side bed made yesterday.

Total cost 8K - the person says it should serve 5-6 years before needing fluffing.
Diamond shaped channels hold the cotton in place so that the mattress keeps its shape for long.

Night 1 felt good - didnt get a typical backache that I sometimes get in my coir-foam kurl-on mattress.
I think that's a wise choice if you can live with the lumps (5-6 years without fluffing is a too much of a stretch. You will need to do it every one year or so). I dont know the cost of refluffing, but doing it over a period of 10 years and then the time it takes you to find a guy who does it and transportation etc etc., I think it depends on how much you have on your hand. Hope it works out well for you though. Let us know what your experience has been since then.

Last edited by bblost : 13th August 2013 at 20:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks