Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 22:58   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
... ... ... I have used latex all my life and I know it doesnt go from hard to soft in 2 yrs. ... ... ...
I would say that latex doesn't really change at all in a couple of years or even longer.

Not only did we not notice any change in our latex mattress over maybe six or seven years, when we replaced it after the flood the new one felt just like the same old bed we'd had before. Perfect continuity. No change.

I'm not sure, but isn't longevity one of the advantages of proper latex?
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:15   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I would say that latex doesn't really change at all in a couple of years or even longer.

Not only did we not notice any change in our latex mattress over maybe six or seven years, when we replaced it after the flood the new one felt just like the same old bed we'd had before. Perfect continuity. No change.

I'm not sure, but isn't longevity one of the advantages of proper latex?
Absolutely Thad. Thats why we were miffed when the FI guys said thats how Latex is, shows what the company stands for. Which brand did you buy?
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:33   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Absolutely Thad. Thats why we were miffed when the FI guys said thats how Latex is, shows what the company stands for. Which brand did you buy?
Thad uses the Foams India pearl mattress and swears by it . I was considering the same. But your feedback has now put me in a dilemma. Their normal latex mattress are rated 80 on firmness. What was the rated firmness of the mattress you had bought? I am wondering if it would make sense to buy from a vendor that has a physical shop in Pune. Foams India does not sell through a retailing chain in Pune (only available through online purchase).

I have been using a latex pillow from FI for around 6 months now. It is as firm/soft as it was on day 1.

Last edited by pjbiju : 2nd June 2017 at 10:46.
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:34   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Thad uses the Foams India pearl mattress and swears by it . I was considering the same. But your feedback has now put me in a dilemma. Their normal latex mattress are rated 80 on firmness. What was the rated firmness of the mattress you had bought? I am wondering if it would make sense to buy from a vendor that has a physical shop in Pune. Foams India does not sell through a retailing chain in Pune (only available through online purchase).

I have been using a latex pillow from FI for around 6 months now. It is as firm/soft as it was on day 1.
If my memory is correct, we ordered 90 density one and it was a custom order. They charged extra for it. 2 years before that I bought the same one for my mom and its fabulous even now. But mine had this issue. Thats why I said may be the batch of foam I bought has this issue. The problem is customer service, which is ZERO. Latex is still the best but if we have a problem and the company is not willing to help whats the point?
Old 2nd June 2017, 23:20   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sometimes not very good at initials and didn't pick up on "FI."

Yes, we swear by it/them... but then, we never had any reason for complaint. It seems like you have been ill treated. Ours never actually got binned. Wouldn't surprise me if it still feels the same after 18 months post-flood weather, although maybe the cover rotted by now.

There are one, maybe two, other latex-mattress sources in Chennai.
Old 8th June 2017, 22:14   #381
BHPian

Finally went with Sunday Ortho plus 2G. It was delivered a few hours ago. Will post my feedback once I use it for a week or two.

Purchase and shipping experience has been good so far. Ordered on Monday and it was delivered to Hyderabad on Thursday. Bluedart guys carried the mattress via stairs till fourth floor and even placed the mattress on cot. Thought they'd just leave it at door.

First impressions, mattress felt harder than expected.
Old 12th August 2017, 19:45   #382

Hi , I am looking to buy a 6" mattress for my parents (aged 67,68) and a 10" mattress for me and my wife (aged 35, 32). Had read this thread and every one is pointing towards Sunday and Urban ladder mattresses. 3 years ago I had bought Kurlon Luxurino, a 8" pocket spring mattress with 2" memory foam pillow top. After 10 months the memory foam became very soft and it feels like we r sinking inside for 1-1.5 inch. and its terribly uncomfortable warm during summer, had to install AC for bearing Bangalore weather phew!!!. Tried to return as well, but i had been shuttling here and there and never got time for this. and now its 3 years now with the kurlon mattress

Now coming back to the point - Why is no one exploring Snoozer lately?? 3 years ago when i bought the kurlon, all reviewers were going gaga over Snoozer. I didnt opt for it then as similar constructed one in Snoozer was some 15-20 grand more, hence i thought its fine to go with kurlon top end model. Is this due to no marketing effort by snoozer that their brand doesnt have reach or is their product relatively inferior to new age products from sunday and UL ?

Snoozer happens to be pocket spring mattress, most other indian brands recommend latex or any other firm mattress for elder ppl, only Snoozer says its a myth that older ppl need firm mattress. I made an enquiry with snoozer dealer and was told that ortho firm model is good for parents and Posture care model is good for me.

Currently my parents r using Duroflex pocket spring Soft-of-plus for last 4 years, so far no complaints from them. They had been shuttling 6 months in US and 6 months here. In my brothers place at US, it is a serta mattress. They didnt complain of any difference in comfort levels here and there. We r moving to a new home and size of our new beds r different ... hence looking for new mattresses.

Would appreciate if u guys can throw some light on choosing the brand / models
Old 18th August 2017, 11:11   #383
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_vijay12 View Post
Hi , I am looking to buy a 6" mattress for my parents (aged 67,68) and a 10" mattress for me and my wife (aged 35, 32). Had read this thread and every one is pointing towards Sunday and Urban ladder mattresses. 3 years ago I had bought Kurlon Luxurino, a 8" pocket spring mattress with 2" memory foam pillow top. After 10 months the memory foam became very soft and it feels like we r sinking inside for 1-1.5 inch. and its terribly uncomfortable warm during summer, had to install AC for bearing Bangalore weather phew!!!. Tried to return as well, but i had been shuttling here and there and never got time for this. and now its 3 years now with the kurlon mattress

=============
Would appreciate if u guys can throw some light on choosing the brand / models
I would not recommend memory foam mattresses for the same reason - that they heat up during summers. The quality of memory foam produced in Europe and the USA are much better and can reduce/eliminate the heating issue. However, what is produced in India is kind of basic and done in a crude manner. Apart from heating issues, most of the foams/brands produced in India do not adhere to any quality or safety standards.

There are a few exceptions especially from startups: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifes...oose-from.html

In your case, I would recommend an Ortho Plus 2G mattress from Sunday for your parents. It is completely latex and at the same time a bit softer. I use this mattress for myself and my parents use Ortho 2G which is a firm mattress (as firm as a good coir mattress). You will not go wrong with either models as long you keep in mind that the Ortho Plus is a medium firm mattress and Ortho 2G is a firm mattress. If your parents prefer a mattress that is as firm as a coir mattress, then go with a Ortho mattress or if they prefer something that is plush with great back support, then go with a Ortho Plus.

You will not go wrong with Snoozer or Kurlon either - they do great mattresses. I owned a Snoozer mattress before I replaced it (because Snoozer was getting old and needed a replacement) with a Sunday mattress. Snoozer mattresses are great but having experience both, I prefer Sunday mattresses because they are relatively better and the value for money is unbeatable.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th August 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
Old 18th August 2017, 11:49   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
I owned a Snoozer mattress before I replaced it (because Snoozer was getting old and needed a replacement) with a Sunday mattress.
how many years did you use the snoozer? Did the quality of your sleep go down or did you get back aches etc? How did you decide it needed a replacement?
Old 18th August 2017, 12:52   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
I would not recommend memory foam mattresses for the same reason - that they heat up during summers. The quality of memory foam produced in Europe and the USA are much better and can reduce/eliminate the heating issue. However, what is produced in India is kind of basic and done in a crude manner. Apart from heating issues, most of the foams/brands produced in India do not adhere to any quality or safety standards.

There are a few exceptions especially from startups: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifes...oose-from.html

In your case, I would recommend an Ortho Plus 2G mattress from Sunday for your parents. It is completely latex and at the same time a bit softer. I use this mattress for myself and my parents use Ortho 2G which is a firm mattress (as firm as a good coir mattress). You will not go wrong with either models as long you keep in mind that the Ortho Plus is a medium firm mattress and Ortho 2G is a firm mattress. If your parents prefer a mattress that is as firm as a coir mattress, then go with a Ortho mattress or if they prefer something that is plush with great back support, then go with a Ortho Plus.

You will not go wrong with Snoozer or Kurlon either - they do great mattresses. I owned a Snoozer mattress before I replaced it (because Snoozer was getting old and needed a replacement) with a Sunday mattress. Snoozer mattresses are great but having experience both, I prefer Sunday mattresses because they are relatively better and the value for money is unbeatable.
Actually , for parents i am thinking of Sunday Ortho 2G the firm one with a mattress topper for plush feel. Right now my parents r comfortable with the plushness but I never know if they would be ok with a soft mattress later , if I use a topper, i can always remove it later when needed as per their convenience. Not sure if this is a great idea .

I am still exploring a mattress for myself - need a 10" one
Old 19th August 2017, 22:35   #386

Hi,
I am about to buy Serta Cool Solace Mattress for my master bedroom. It is gel based high density Visco Foam on one side and on the other side medium density mega foam. Are there any negative views about this? Does it have any heat issue? Are there any other competitive options available in Bangalore? Please help. I am a newbie as as as mattresses are concerned.
Old 20th August 2017, 01:35   #387
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
how many years did you use the snoozer? Did the quality of your sleep go down or did you get back aches etc? How did you decide it needed a replacement?
Used it for 3 yrs and after that started getting back pains due to some sagging and had to replace because it was a pain getting warranty service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_vijay12 View Post
Actually , for parents i am thinking of Sunday Ortho 2G the firm one with a mattress topper for plush feel. Right now my parents r comfortable with the plushness but I never know if they would be ok with a soft mattress later , if I use a topper, i can always remove it later when needed as per their convenience. Not sure if this is a great idea .

I am still exploring a mattress for myself - need a 10" one
I feel Ortho Plus is better than having a Ortho 2G with a topper. If you are uncertain, these guys seem to have a 100 day trial. I am not sure how that trial works though.

10 inch or 12 inch does not matter really. Find a good mattress that you can sleep well on. This is irrespective of the brand.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 20th August 2017, 10:31   #388

For other 2 beds of standard size, ordered from Sunday yesterday morning. Got delivery at 12 noon yesterday. Fantastic Service. Details::
Qty Item
1 x Sunday® Mattress Protector Cover - Single 36"x72"
1 x Sunday® Delight Pillow - Luxury - 20"x36"
1 x Sunday® Ortho Plus 2G Mattress - Single 36"x72"
1 x Sunday® Mattress Protector Cover - King 72"x78"
2 x Sunday® Delight Pillow - Standard - 18"x27"
1 x Sunday® Ortho Plus 2G Mattress - King 72"x78"
The mattresses look good. Other 2 beds are of non-standard sizes 82*79 and 41*79. Sunday does not customize hence looking at Serta and Sobha.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:56   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilbajpai View Post
For other 2 beds of standard size, ordered from Sunday yesterday morning. Got delivery at 12 noon yesterday. Fantastic Service. Details::
Qty Item
1 x Sunday® Mattress Protector Cover - Single 36"x72"
1 x Sunday® Delight Pillow - Luxury - 20"x36"
1 x Sunday® Ortho Plus 2G Mattress - Single 36"x72"
1 x Sunday® Mattress Protector Cover - King 72"x78"
2 x Sunday® Delight Pillow - Standard - 18"x27"
1 x Sunday® Ortho Plus 2G Mattress - King 72"x78"
The mattresses look good. Other 2 beds are of non-standard sizes 82*79 and 41*79. Sunday does not customize hence looking at Serta and Sobha.
I would recommend having standard size cots if at all possible. The whole world is moving to standard sizes and finding a mattress or linen for non-standard sizes will become very expensive.

Sobha and Serta are both great brand. I think Sobha might be better value for money.
Old 21st August 2017, 11:46   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm sometimes not very good at initials and didn't pick up on "FI."

Yes, we swear by it/them... but then, we never had any reason for complaint. It seems like you have been ill treated. Ours never actually got binned. Wouldn't surprise me if it still feels the same after 18 months post-flood weather, although maybe the cover rotted by now.

There are one, maybe two, other latex-mattress sources in Chennai.
I am unable to decide whether to go for 5" or a 6" ?
Can you share which size do you use and what was the criteria for selection ?
Also if you can share prices/ discounts you got on MRP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks