Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2018, 23:28   #421
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I was waking up with back pain everyday on my old coir mattress and hence got the Sunday pure latex one a couple of months back. It offers really great comfort but has not helped me much with my back pain. So I am thinking of getting that replaced with the Ortho Plus 3.
I have pre existing lower back pain due to prolapsed disc. I used to wake up with sore back on our old coir mattress. Ever since we changed to pocketed spring mattress I do not have that pain experience. There maybe other contributing factors but I don't know. What I have found out is that hard matttress is not always the answer for back pain.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:00   #422
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have pre existing lower back pain due to prolapsed disc. I used to wake up with sore back on our old coir mattress. Ever since we changed to pocketed spring mattress I do not have that pain experience. There maybe other contributing factors but I don't know. What I have found out is that hard matttress is not always the answer for back pain.
You are spot on. Conventional wisdom about hard mattresses being good may not be entirely true. Alphonse, the founder of Sunday mattresses, had shared these two research findings one from the NIH, UK and another from Harvard. He had shared these when I had asked them why they do not do the “hard” mattresses and claim to ensure that their mattresses are medium firm to slightly soft and never very hard.

NIH research:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK263383/
Here is the summary of recommendations: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK263378/

In essence, while the differences are small, medium firm mattress are better for people with lower back pain. However, there is no correlation between the firmness of a mattress and “prevention” of back pain. So, as the age old saying goes: prevention is better than cure, but if you already have lower back issues, then go for a medium firm mattress for better relief. I feel that that if the pain is moderate to severe, a clinical intervention would be required as a mattress can only do so much.

Harvard survey:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/...-low-back-pain

The above survey also suggests that a very hard mattress has the poorest sleep quality.

I feel that its time that the age old and conventional wisdom of sleeping on a very hard surface being good for the back is re-looked into. I feel that a medium firm mattress is always a great choice - it offers a good combination comfort and back support which are both important.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:56   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post

I have both the mattresses - Ortho plus 3G and Latex plus 3G and even have their older 2nd generation mattresses in my home town. I personally feel that the Latex plus mattress is the best. The full latex material creates a sort of “buoyancy” effect that it makes me feel like I am floating in air. Having said that, the other room in my house has the Ortho plus model. It is pretty comfortable too and light years ahead of the other mattresses in the market. In terms of softness, firmness levels, I find the Ortho plus a bit more firmer than the latex plus. I prefer the latex plus because (a) comfort/back support (b) value for money - it costs little more but it lasts much longer too! My parents went for the ortho plus purely because they had it ingrained in their mind that “firmer the better” which is not true always.

Thanks,
Kiran
I think your parents are right atleast for people who weigh more...I bought a spring mattress with latex topper and i really regret it...I weigh 95 kg and i im sinking in my mattress day by day..think ill touch the floor one day..

I think Soft mattress are not suitable for spine good posture..the lower body has more weight and it sinks heavily while the upper body stays afloat in my spring mattress...the latex topping even make it worse...

So I think a good medium firm mattress is the best option for everyone...the body should not go more than 2-3 inches down when we lay down...
Old 23rd January 2018, 14:34   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkarthic View Post
I think Soft mattress are not suitable for spine good posture..the lower body has more weight and it sinks heavily while the upper body stays afloat in my spring mattress...the latex topping even make it worse...

So I think a good medium firm mattress is the best option for everyone...the body should not go more than 2-3 inches down when we lay down...
Your mattress is probably too soft. The one I bought is Peps Restonic which is medium firm. You do not sink in like some five star hotel mattress. I am 84 kg BTW. This particular mattress provides very good support while being very comfortable. Soft cushioning is provides by the euro top which is about 1" or 1.5" thick. The spring part is firm, it sinks only on point load like sitting on it. On lying down there is indeed depression as per body contour but not too much.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:02   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
...I will update this thread with my experience after a month or so of using the mattress. By then I will also finish the headboard of the bed. I had suspended all my carpentry work because of the rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ha hah... You might still sweat here, especially on a summer night --- but it would not be made worse by a latex mattress. The opposite experience being synthetic foam, which would make it worse.

Hope you enjoy your new bed
We are really enjoying the new mattress, particularly my son who is the primary user. He now does not like the mattress that my wife and I are using which he used to really love earlier. The new mattress is soft when you sit on it since the whole body weight is concentrated in a small area. But is very comfortable when lying down. It is much cooler than the other memory foam mattress that we use. I will wait until the summer to see how this turns out to be.

I also finally completed building the bed for my son this weekend. All it now requires is a final coat of polish (which I will complete over the coming weekend). It took me 3-4 months to complete the bed, working mostly on Saturdays and holidays. The mattress you see is the one I bought. I will take another picture without the bed sheet, so that people can have a view of the quilt texture (realized this mistake now).

Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-img_20180205_074436946.jpg
Old 5th February 2018, 23:04   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful work! Thanks for showing it to us!
Old 6th February 2018, 10:17   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The new mattress is soft when you sit on it since the whole body weight is concentrated in a small area. But is very comfortable when lying down. It is much cooler than the other memory foam mattress that we use. I will wait until the summer to see how this turns out to be.

Attachment 1724607
Is this complete Latex mattress? If so does your lower body sink in so much ? Also do you have body impressions on that particular area?
Old 6th February 2018, 15:19   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkarthic View Post
Is this complete Latex mattress? If so does your lower body sink in so much ? Also do you have body impressions on that particular area?
Yes. This is a complete latex mattress. While sleeping our bodies do not sink into the mattress a lot, although it is quite soft. It gives us very good cushioning and comfort. My family members weigh between 56 kg and 70 kg each.

A few more pictures below.
Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-top.jpg
Top/Bottom Quilt

Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-side.jpg
Side

Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-label2.jpg
Top Label

Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-label1.jpg
Label & MRP
Old 6th February 2018, 22:49   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! That's a lot of money!

Looks nice though. And I slept on a 2-lakh spring-divan bed in UK, but have always been happy now with latex.
Old 6th February 2018, 23:28   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow! That's a lot of money!

Looks nice though. And I slept on a 2-lakh spring-divan bed in UK, but have always been happy now with latex.
You do get a reasonable discount on the MRP and/or discount+some offers which brings down the price to a level that is not a lot higher than the FoamsIndia one for a similar size and thickness. A lot of people spend nearly as much money for their mobile phones which would last for 3-4 years before they become slow/obsolete. I think we should treat ourselves to a reasonably good mattress since we almost spend around 8 hours or more each day on it. What is best for each one may be different, but I have found latex mattress to be quite good during the past 3-4 months of usage. Unfortunately these were not available when I bought my other mattress (Kurl-on spinekare) around 11 years back for Rs. 14500 (78"x60"x5"). It is still good with no sagging and a good overall feel. If I have to change that someday, i will go for another latex one.

Last edited by pjbiju : 6th February 2018 at 23:30.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:18   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I did later wonder how much our foamsindia mattress cost (probably mentioned here) which I've forgotten. I do recall that I was a bit surprised, when we got the flood replacement.

A good bed is a spectacularly good investment. Your woodwork and mattress look like a great combination
Old 20th March 2018, 00:31   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Finally placed an order for Sunday Ortho 2G Mattress.
Couple of points w.r.t the buying experience i.e.
a) Experience center not present in Hyderabad.
b) Pickup of old mattresses only available in Bangalore for a charge of Rs 500.
I am also from Hyderabad and am on the lookout for a good mattress for my parents (65-70) with back problems.Have a kurlon Spine Kare on the other bedwhich has been good for more than 5 years now.After looking at the reviews,realized that Latex is the way to go now,but could not find proper latex ones in the market from Reputed brands like Kurlon.

Can you please share your experience with the Sunday Ortho Mattress. It looks they are going aggressive on online marketing,the moment I started searching for it,all I see is their ads.Wanted to make sure that they are delivering on their quality.

Any other recommendations from forum members are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance..!!!
Old 20th March 2018, 17:03   #433
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In reference to this thread, someone had once tweeted "it's ironic that the best mattress advice I found is on a car website". I'd chuckled then, although with a wee bit of pride.

I got to admit - this thread ROCKS. After quickly skimming through the discussion, I placed an order for the "Latex Plus 3 Mattress" from Sunday. For good measure, I also called for 2 pillows from them, both differently sized as I didn't know which pillow I'd like.

Oh my god. The experience (along with a comforter bought from the States) is truly 5-star hotel-like. Seriously. My kid brother tried the mattress for a little time and even he loved it. Two things I didn't like though - delivery took like 9 days. Second, the mattress is a level softer than what I usually prefer (but again, similar to the stuff you find in hotels). It is very luxurious.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2018 at 17:08.
Old 21st March 2018, 00:41   #434
BHPian

^Thank you for posting, I have been looking for a large size pillow. Guess where I found it?
Old 15th April 2018, 22:30   #435
BHPian

Review of Wake-Fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress - 1 year review:
Bought it in May 2017 and it was perfect for us as we had a good sleep and everything was fine. fast forward 6 months, slowly we started to get back pain again and we realized that the mattress was getting softer. Now we are out of 100 days and now its almost 12 months and we are on the verge of throwing it out. 18K down the drain. I am not sure warranty can be claimed as it says only if it sags beyond 1 inch its eligible for warranty. Have now written to them asking how do I measure the sag. Stay away. Will be rather investing in a good latex which my mom is super happy for last 7 years.

Will keep you guys posted if I get any reply from WakeFit

Most Viewed