Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 20:55   #16
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will take a printout and mark them all out. But to be clear on the destination, its not Mumbai for all the 10 days. Its Ambarnath after taking the NH4 upbound and there will be Shirdi and Aurangabad as well. Is'nt it sufficient to get the essence of MH? I mean you can start calling Khandala/Lonavala/Matheran/Mahabaleshwar/Pune to be having influences of "up-market" or having more "Indian" flair than Marathi fair since they are frequented by Mumbaikars.

I am not a city guy. It would be one day in Mumbai, one day in Vashi/Panvel. No Konkan. It would be western and northern MH. Does the 6 different regions have distinct food? I know there is the rice/wheat thing within the state. But apart from that, is there a difference in curry/sides?
Old 29th September 2010, 22:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Konkan has a distinct cuisine, similar to the other west coast regions like Goa, UK/DK and Kerala - lots of coconut. They also use Sol Kadi essence in their food.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:16   #18
BHPian

Do people in Nagpur eat differently than someone in Pune than someone in Aurangabad?

Mumbai city: Lived there, done those during my 20 yr stay. But things would have changed and its worth another relook. I will drive down to Andheri/Parla one day to catch up with old folks, visit Mithibai, Barfivala school, Char bangla, Saat bangla, Versova.

Warlyancha aahar - read about it in school. "Energee" is cool! Thanks for the Tarpa "pumpkin" wind instrument should be cool. (Reminds me of a long flute from Arakku Valley which made a whistling sound when rotated. So much so that I checked it in as a single piece and was called by the ground-staff to verify as to what it was?) Would look out for one around Thane. But in hindsight - images of Thane in my head is that of a crowded railway station which once used to be the last station, and lot of expensive flats.

All the food suggestions: Which are the hotels where I would get them? Or is it only available at rural/hard-core Maharashtrian homes? If so please invite, guys I dont mind taking a detour into some rural roads to get to such hotels. I would like to have a long conversation with a rustic Maharashtrian, the quintessential Essshteee traveling guy!

Last edited by jeevmenon : 29th September 2010 at 23:20.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to Thane, you can have the fiercest misal and usal at Mamledhar's near the Tehsildhar Office.

And don't forget to invite me too, don't mind a free misal!!!!!
Old 30th September 2010, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you are going to Thane, you can have the fiercest misal and usal at Mamledhar's near the Tehsildhar Office.

And don't forget to invite me too, don't mind a free misal!!!!!
HVK - followed by the "taak". I'm in it for too.
Old 30th September 2010, 11:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Do people in Nagpur eat differently than someone in Pune than someone in Aurangabad?
Not sure abt Aurangabad but Nagpur, Kolhapur and Pune are 3 places with distinct food options/palates. Konkan strip as said earlier has its own coconutty twist on food like most coastal regions.

Also do not club Pune together with Mumbai. Inspite of the huge influx of out-of-state workforce to this city and having a cosmo-pan-Indian feel nowadays, it still is very different from other MH cities and especially Mumbai.

If in Aurangabad then do visit Ajantha/Verul caves, Verul being closer (also Devgiri fort is on the same road).
Old 30th September 2010, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post

I will drive down to Andheri/Parla one day to catch up with old folks, visit Mithibai, Barfivala school, Char bangla, Saat bangla, Versova.

Warlyancha aahar - read about it in school. "Energee" is cool! Thanks for the Tarpa "pumpkin" wind instrument should be cool. (Reminds me of a long flute from Arakku Valley which made a whistling sound when rotated. So much so that I checked it in as a single piece and was called by the ground-staff to verify as to what it was?) Would look out for one around Thane. But in hindsight - images of Thane in my head is that of a crowded railway station which once used to be the last station, and lot of expensive flats.
You can go to Mithibai and get your Vada pav + Energee fix there. The vendor won an award for one of Mumbai's best Vada pav.

I have one of those rotating flutes. There's a hollow metal piece stuck to one end and it whistles when you swing the stick around.

However, the Tarpa sounds like a cross betweena bagpipe and a snake charmer's flute. You probably wouldn't find it in Thane city but another part of Thane District near Pali, Wada and Vikramgad.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:40   #23
BHPian

Great replies. Thanks guys.

HVK/Ghodlur: Will call you guys, Mumbai-mini-meet at Mamledhar!

Abhay: Sort of agree with Pune not to be clubbed with Mumbai, is it partially due to the inter-city rivalry, similar to Melbourne/Sydney or Mumbai/Delhi rivalry? I have heard couple of Pune guys at Tirupati mentioning the same. Yes, its different. More Marathi words - my cousin in Pimpri used to mix a bit more than me

Wolfheart: Mithibai vada pav. Oh yes with the butter/green-chutney. It was 5 bucks 20 yrs back. I dont know what its today. Whats the general rate prevailing these days?
I had my family-bread sandwich at the NMIMS gate (not the gate close to the corner, the other one) opposite to the Mithibai canteen. My usual haunt for vada-pavs was boarding the 251 Ltd, getting 4/5 stops at Dhake Colony and then buying it from "Jai Maharashtra" in front of Apna Bazar. Sorry to bore you guys. Just nostalgic images flashing thru.

Yes, the Tarpa. Indeed Thane district and not the city.

I was chatting with wifey the other day about how its "wafers" and not "chips" as we got used to calling it after moving to the South.
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:01   #24
BHPian

Preparation for the Mumbai trip in earnest - Mixing the Missal

Kulkarnis from Karad who live in our apartment complex prepare something different from their usual food on Fridays and it was going to be Missal yesterday. Slurrp! Mrs. Kulkarni gave us the three components of the same and we assembled them up. I thought the preparation has started in earnest!

Maharashtra - Top 10-mixingthemissal.jpg

Today we went shopping for the trip:

1. Sarees for MIL from Garden (the Mumbai touch)
2. Toy for wifey's childhood building friend's daughter who lives in Panvel.
3. Bag for FIL's sister's bahu who is also MIL's brother's bahu of Vashi.
4. Goggles for me

Pending for the morrow:
1. Dress for FILs sister's son's son - Panvel.
2. Pick up stuff from SIL from Anna Nagar for PIL. Transfer songs/games for the road.

Pending for Monday:
1. Called up KLN last night, they still have my year-2 insurance renewal policy with them. They have to give it to me before we leave. She said she will give it to me Monday.
2. Monday - I need to get my car checked as well before the long drive. Thought of going today (Saturday) but forgot that its October 2nd.
3. EB to be paid up - wifey is going to do that.

Last weekend got dress material for wifey. She is busy stitching 'em up.

And obviously the regular logging-in into the forum to meet you guys up. Its been a great journey at this forum. Amazing!

Btw, I checked up MapMyIndia in Landmark - Spencers. 8K for basic, 14K for high-end, 18K for the additional featured ones. Team-bhp folks esp. ones in the travelogue section dont need them I believe. Its all "map"ped in the mind - tweaked to the last fine detail, the corner, the bend.

Ah! Also need to inform college friends to meet up at Mithibai on Sunday afternoon for lunch. Any suggestions for a good restaurant around there? I remember something at Irla - we used to go for birthdays!

Last edited by jeevmenon : 2nd October 2010 at 18:08.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

My version.

1] At kolhapur,
visit mahalakshmi temple, have hot misal pav or kolhapuri meal, buy kolhapuri chappals as souvenir.

2] At Satara,
have kandi pedha to eat and to offer to your relatives.

3] At pune,
have vada pav and amrut-tulya tea.

4] At Mumbai,
other members had already posted what to do.

5] At Nasik,
have darshan at Kalaram temple.

6] At yevala near shirdi,
buy world famous Paithani sarees.

7] At shirdi,
have darshan of saibaba.

8] At Aurangabad, ellora and ajintha
beside sightseeing, buy famous shawl,

9] At any rural dhaaba,
have jawar/bajara bhakri[roti], usal, pithale, hot varan[daal] and baingan subjee[ brijal ].

10] At any typical maharashtrian restaurant,
have puran-poli.

I have not posted 10 places to visit, 10 items as souvenir, 10 food etc but 10 best things you can definitely do looking at your itinerary.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd October 2010 at 12:05.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:42   #26
BHPian

Thanks AP. This helps. EB paid, Insurance received, visited SIL and got stuff to be passed on to Amma, Baby dress purchased, Kerala chips bought for the journey.

I also got the Sparky checked - On Sunday afternoon my cousin pointed about the right front tyre to have less air. This is the 3rd time this is happening. We went to the pump filled it up again. During the filling we found him to be 19 or so while the rest were at 28-29. I had asked the service guy during my Sept service about this and he did not find any issues. Yesterday I stressed this point a bit more and he said he did find a puncture.

1. So now its 30 all tyres.

2. In-cabin noise was too much and now that seems to be tightened up and I can feel the difference.

3. MM Hills had loosened something on the left front tyre and that seemed to be tightened and better as well.

Ganpati-bappa has been requested to be seated above the odo-meter/time. Counting the hours...

Last edited by jeevmenon : 5th October 2010 at 09:44.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:37   #27
BHPian

At Nagpur:

Try Saoji chicken or any other dishes [At your own risk]

Dont remember the exact name of the hotel, but it is on Ambazari-Hingna Rd, where the rooster who loses the cock-fight is served, in typical saoji style. They are yummy & delicious, as they are fed dryfruits & other stuff throughout there life !

Go to Haldirams' have a lot of sweets, never tasted any sweet better than those of Haldirams'. Simply best !

Go to Telankhadi temple, have samosa-chatni, breadpattice-chatni. Too much tasty !

Go to any of the following hotels in sadar for yunny & decent meal:
Barbeque
Sanjha Chulha
Moti-Mahal
etc... dont remember any more!
Old 5th October 2010, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
At Nagpur:

Try Saoji chicken or any other dishes [At your own risk]

Dont remember the exact name of the hotel, but it is on Ambazari-Hingna Rd, where the rooster who loses the cock-fight is served, in typical saoji style. They are yummy & delicious, as they are fed dryfruits & other stuff throughout there life !

Go to Haldirams' have a lot of sweets, never tasted any sweet better than those of Haldirams'. Simply best !

Go to Telankhadi temple, have samosa-chatni, breadpattice-chatni. Too much tasty !

Go to any of the following hotels in sadar for yunny & decent meal:
Barbeque
Sanjha Chulha
Moti-Mahal
etc... dont remember any more!
To add further:

Eat:
Dal Frontier at Tuli Intl. Sadar
Patodi-Kadhi at the Shacks opposite Court
Poha at a Joint in Itwari
Samosa at Ramesh Farsan Devnagar
Biryani & other Non-Veg at M.L Canteen, Tanveer in Mominpura and Al-Zam-Zam at Central Avenue
Offcourse Saoji
Sambharwadi from Amravati
Stalls outside Poonam Chambers

Visit:
Futala Talav
Pench Reserve
Tadoba Sanctuary
Melghat Reserve
Ramtek

Last edited by cyclops : 5th October 2010 at 11:23.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:49   #29
BHPian

At Ambarnath now. At

1. Hotel Shetkari, Kolhapur - we had tambda/pandra rassa, mutton-bhakri, veg thaat, shrikhand.
2. Rankala lake, Kolhapur - Sp Bhel.
3. Satara - Bhau's dhaba on the NH (breakfast) - kande-pohe, misal-pav, pav-bhaji.
4. Pune (Lunch) - Ussal, Baingan-masala, country-komdi curry and bajra bhakris, baath.
5. Panchgani - Mapro milk shake, ice-cream, bought some syrups, jam, jelly from the same place. Vada pav at Parsi point.

2 days down... 7 days to go and some more to tick off from our list. Thanks for all the suggestion.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jeev, do mention the Mumbai part when you reach there. I might also be visiting Mumbai for 3 days, for the first time in my life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks