Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 14:50   #256
BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@.sushilkumar; There were some reports in the media that they had a major glitch for a short while.
Could be But my family received their cards. we all applied within span of 2 hours . So technically All should have faced issues But instead they choose me.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:57   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are looking at the wrong side. You must know that the latest refugee labourers in Udupi are now Bangladeshis. Your adhaar card may have been issued to them.
I hope they are less malignant !
Old 18th September 2013, 09:18   #258
BHPian

I applied for Adhaar number in a center near my home in Kerala in the first week of August this year at the local "Akshaya" center. On checking the status, for the first ten days it was showing a message "your EID number is still not with us . Please check after a few days". Then the status changed to "Your Adhaar number is under generation. Check after a few days". This is the status which is showing up now for the last five weeks. Generally how long it takes nowadays for the Adhaar number to be generated??? I need the number for linking it to my LPG connection.

Also for my daughter, who applied in mid March, the status is "EID number not available with us"although it is now 6 months. I sent a complaint regarding her status through the complaints page of the UID authority website but got no reply. Does this mean she has to reapply again as the rest of our family members who apllied two weeks before my daughter in the same enrolment centre (which is different to mine as the old centre had closed down) has not only got E Adhaar but also the Adhaar letters also?.

Any pointers welcome.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:53   #259
Team-BHP Support

My parents who had applied over a year back, are yet to get their adhaar card. But the Udupi district administration has doubled the LPG cylinder price to 900 bucks. If the adhaar card is linked to the bank account, 450 will be credited back. So, the intimidation tactics have began.

However, I was able to download e-adhaar card for them. It had wrong mail address, no wonder they didn't get their card.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:03   #260
Senior - BHPian

They held an "Aadhaar card fest" in our area and everyone in my home went, taking a day off. For me, my wife and son it went without a glitch. The slip they gave us says "biometrics captured: Face 1, Iris 2, Finger prints 10". It also proclaims "good quality finger prints. Recommended for use in verification".

But not so in the case of elders in the family. My Aunt (84), My father (81) and my mother (73) did not have their biometrics recorded properly. My Aunt's slip says "biometrics captured: Face 1". No Iris, no finger prints. My parent's slip reads "biometrics captured: Face 1, Iris 2". No finger prints.

The process was done by a private "smart cards" company on behalf of the govt. I went back to the venue and got hold of their in-charge. His explanation was :

1) For very old people the fingerprint reader may not read properly, since their prints may fall below a minimum threshold.

2) Similarly for people who have had cataract surgery with IOL in place, the Iris reader may not read properly.

3) It is advisable to enroll children > 8 years only, since their fingerprints may not be prominent enough to be read by the machine, and also their iris may change as they grow up.

Is this true or a lot off bull? I went back and checked the slips of other senior citizens in my apartment block. Sure enough, many of them had the same issue in their slips.

Then why the hell should they be called for aadhaar card enrolment? What is it's use, without biometric info? It is just another id card.

Also, another doubt. My son is now 13. How will the same card hold good when he is 25? Even the face will be different.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th September 2013 at 10:06.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:12   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Also, another doubt. My son is now 13. How will the same card hold good when he is 25? Even the face will be different.
Yes, biometrics change over time. So people have to re-enroll every few years. Currently enrolment is free. Not sure if it remains same. Probably UID office can provide continuous stream of income for Govt (like passport office)
Quote:
1) For very old people the fingerprint reader may not read properly, since their prints may fall below a minimum threshold.
iPhone 5S has fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button. Apple highly recommends this technology, even for e-commerce. Either Apple has superior technology or elder people cannot use this feature.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:13   #262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Then why the hell should they be called for aadhaar card enrolment? What is it's use, without biometric info? It is just another id card.
The primary stated purpose of Aadhar is to provide an identification number. The secondary stated purpose is to link it with biometric and other info.

Quote:
Don't worry, by then we will be all have RFID planted under our skin which can identify us. Think of the convenience - we do not have to carry any identification card with us for anything. It will help prevent financial fraud, poor people will get their due, would be easier to find terrorists. Everything in the country will be streamlined and even the flowers will smell better.

Last edited by carboy : 18th September 2013 at 10:14.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:31   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't worry, by then we will be all have RFID planted under our skin which can identify us. Think of the convenience - we do not have to carry any identification card with us for anything. It will help prevent financial fraud, poor people will get their due, would be easier to find terrorists. Everything in the country will be streamlined and even the flowers will smell better.
Why RFID? In a decade they can just use DNA. Remember Gattaca?
Old 18th September 2013, 10:35   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I applied for Adhaar number in a center near my home in Kerala in the first week of August this year at the local "Akshaya" center. On checking the status, for the first ten days it was showing a message "your EID number is still not with us . Please check after a few days". Then the status changed to "Your Adhaar number is under generation. Check after a few days". This is the status which is showing up now for the last five weeks. Generally how long it takes nowadays for the Adhaar number to be generated??? I need the number for linking it to my LPG connection.

Also for my daughter, who applied in mid March, the status is "EID number not available with us"although it is now 6 months. I sent a complaint regarding her status through the complaints page of the UID authority website but got no reply. Does this mean she has to reapply again as the rest of our family members who apllied two weeks before my daughter in the same enrolment centre (which is different to mine as the old centre had closed down) has not only got E Adhaar but also the Adhaar letters also?.

Any pointers welcome.
Based on 3rd party accounts - 6 months. My application is in the same state as yours
Old 18th September 2013, 10:41   #265
BANNED

Quote:
Why RFID? In a decade they can just use DNA.
DNA is passive identification (as of now). RFID can be active identification - i.e. the RFID broadcasts your signals all the time. The Govt can have readers all over the place. Think of the convenience and safety it will bring to us.

Quote:
Remember Gattaca?
Not seen Gattaca.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:18   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RFID broadcasts your signals all the time. The Govt can have readers all over the place.
And snoop on you and take away your privacy? I don't think it will ever see the light of day. Nobody will agree.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:38   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
DNA is passive identification (as of now). RFID can be active identification - i.e. the RFID broadcasts your signals all the time. The Govt can have readers all over the place. Think of the convenience and safety it will bring to us.
RFID has both active and passive tags. The active ones need battery, the passive ones don't. I have worked with RFID tags and readers.

Quote:
And snoop on you and take away your privacy? I don't think it will ever see the light of day. Nobody will agree.
Who's asking permission? Now most important Bangalore roads and junctions are monitored via camera. Gradually we are losing privacy, and eventually there will be none.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th September 2013 at 11:41.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:14   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Before I answer that, let me ask 2 questions
1. Why did you go through all the trouble of enrolling yourself and family for Aadhaar?
2. Why did you get yourself fingerprinted? Before Aadhar, I thought only criminals had to give their fingerprints to the Govt. And I don't think even they have to give iris scans.

Quote:
RFID has both active and passive tags. The active ones need battery, the passive ones don't.
Yeah, I know. That's why I said RFID 'can' be active.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:36   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before I answer that, let me ask 2 questions
1. Why did you go through all the trouble of enrolling yourself and family for Aadhaar?
2. Why did you get yourself fingerprinted? Before Aadhar, I thought only criminals had to give their fingerprints to the Govt. And I don't think even they have to give iris scans.
My friend, we give fingerprints for biometric swiping of our attendance in our office, don't we? And we have to again give them at the time of registering property!

UID is a good initiative. As a citizen I approve of it.

But will I approve implanting a small microchip at the time of childbirth and monitoring it throughout it's life?

Definitely not!
Old 18th September 2013, 12:37   #270
Team-BHP Support

I went to Aadhaar site to see center for Noida/UP
In the list of centers Uttar Pradesh does not exist. Is there a plan to remove uttar pradesh from India?

Quote:
My friend, we give fingerprints for biometric swiping of our attendance in our office, don't we? And we have to again give them at the time of registering property!

UID is a good initiative. As a citizen I approve of it.

But will I approve implanting a small microchip at the time of childbirth and monitoring it throughout it's life?

Definitely not!
Whats the difference. If the govt has your fingerprints for life, they can add it to any database. We are effectively creating a database of all citizens. 20 years back in western world such an initiative would lead to protests, today not only in the "feudal mindset nations" but also in so called liberated nations, such things are accepted without batting an eyelid. I call this slow brainwashing over decades to make something unacceptable totally acceptable.
If the govt is ready to give me access to fingerprint/bank account etc., details of all its officers, I will return the favor happily, but its a one way street for now.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th September 2013 at 12:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed