Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 22:44   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is it allowed by the constitution to make it compulsory?
Yes. Article 11 of the constitution permits the GoI to legislate all matters pertaining to citizenship. The Citizenship Act was amended using this power during UPA-1's time to make NPR mandatory.

Quote:
Why should verify citizenship - it wasn't a citizenship card.
The problem was that Aadhar was envisaged as the entry point to subsidies and PDS - some people felt that the benefit of these welfare measures will be usurped by people who are not even citizens.
Old 19th June 2014, 22:53   #497
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yes. Article 11 of the constitution permits the GoI to legislate all matters pertaining to citizenship. The Citizenship Act was amended using this power during UPA-1's time to make NPR mandatory.
So this NPR thing is worse than Aadhaar.

Quote:
The problem was that Aadhar was envisaged as the entry point to subsidies and PDS - some people felt that the benefit of these welfare measures will be usurped by people who are not even citizens.
Possession of an Aadhar card didn't make someone eligible for subsidies. Aadhar was supposed to be a way for someone who eligible for subsidies to prove he was who he claimed he was.
Old 20th June 2014, 00:31   #498
BHPian

I am sure NDA will not let 50000 crores go down the drain. The new system might come up as a hybrid.
Old 20th June 2014, 08:01   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Possession of an Aadhar card didn't make someone eligible for subsidies. Aadhar was supposed to be a way for someone who eligible for subsidies to prove he was who he claimed he was.
Agreed, no. As I mentioned it was only the entry point, beyond which one had to demonstrate one's eligibility (income certificate, caste certificate, BPL card... stuff red tape is made of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I am sure NDA will not let 50000 crores go down the drain. The new system might come up as a hybrid.
Not sure where you got the 50K Crore number from. The total spend on Aadhar till the end of UPA-2 was less than 4000 Crore.

http://uidai.gov.in/images/web_exp_sep2013.pdf

And yes, NPR will use biometric data collected by Aadhar, from what I read (and the card will have the Aadhar number if available). The additional check is of citizenship.
Old 20th June 2014, 08:43   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure where you got the 50K Crore number from. The total spend on Aadhar till the end of UPA-2 was less than 4000 Crore.
Good info, thanks. The number has so many zeroes one gets dizzy mentioning it

The figure was just hear say.
Old 20th June 2014, 09:21   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
USP of Aadhaar is its superb technology with Biometric verification.

NPR is just another id like Voters Id, Ration card, PAN etc. Question is how do you AUTHENTICATE the Id - that is where Aadhaar vision & technology is so good.

Will be highly churlish & pathetic if BJP kills it only out of spite for INC & not in national interst.
Our politicians don't want any fool proof system. Even within UPA there were so many opposition (it is a open secret in the media and all us know the prominent people within UPA opposed it). So apart from seeing it as a 'UPA' scheme, BJP/NDA for sure will do all possible 'acts' to ditch this.

But creation of any identification system is just a small work, the key will be how to streamline / alignment of usage with schemes.

Last edited by r_devakumar : 20th June 2014 at 09:23.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:27   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
USP of Aadhaar is its superb technology with Biometric verification.

NPR is just another id like Voters Id, Ration card, PAN etc.
NPR also incorporates biometrics. Please see http://ditnpr.nic.in/FAQs.aspx Q#7:

What details will NPR contain?
[...]
Ten Fingerprints (i.e. Prints of ten fingers of both hands)
2 Iris Prints (prints of both eyes)
Old 20th June 2014, 12:00   #503
BANNED

as for NPR when did the census a few years the issued chits for NPR. No follow up. Now they are changing the emphasis - citizenship is paramount! They are happy with the de-duplication by UID. I expect the database to from UID to be used and verified wrt nationality. Under the current 'fuzzy' thoughts they are talking about issuing different coloured cards for Indian and foreign nationals. I know in WB all Bangladeshi illegals, have ration cards, voters ids and UIDs. This must be bugging them.
Old 20th June 2014, 12:16   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it actually verifies citizenship.
There are many folks without birth-certificate or any other documentation. How will they verify citizenship?
Old 20th June 2014, 12:34   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There are many folks without birth-certificate or any other documentation. How will they verify citizenship?
I suppose the usual way - someone else vouches for them (anyone from village sarpanch onwards might be able to do it). After all, all it takes is to prove that so-and-so was born in India. Even the mid-wife's word might be enough.
Old 20th June 2014, 12:34   #506
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
You beat them till they speak the truth.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:54   #507
BANNED

Quote:
I suppose the usual way - someone else vouches for them (anyone from village sarpanch onwards might be able to do it). After all, all it takes is to prove that so-and-so was born in India. Even the mid-wife's word might be enough.
In a largely undocumented country like India the first gen will have problems. Remember the fiasco started after one netas chamcha was certifying applications for Rs.50. Remember the same happened when they authorised all MLAs and MPs to certify passport applications, and the result was the near removal of police verification in advance was hit for a six.

Unfortunately, irruption esp for a quick buck has become endemic.
Old 24th July 2014, 19:07   #508
Senior - BHPian

The proverbial bad penny:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/eco...i_1136441.html
Old 25th July 2014, 20:14   #509

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I do believe Aadhaar is the single-biggest reform of the previous govt (not that it had too many).

It was only logical that despite the political posturing pre-elections, the present govt has seen the light and wants to push it further.
Old 25th July 2014, 20:44   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I do believe Aadhaar is the single-biggest reform of the previous govt (not that it had too many).

It was only logical that despite the political posturing pre-elections, the present govt has seen the light and wants to push it further.
I am in the anti-Aadhar camp, and am quite disappointed with this piece of news. Unless it is non-mandatory and needed ONLY to avail subsidies, I cannot support it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks