Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 12:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

I have got Adhaar card, which is very fragile and resembles mostly a paper. Lamination is must. And don't know why is it useful! I got it because my mom dragged me to the Adhaar office one fine morning and forced me to compile!

I feel really cautious linking my PAN card details anywhere, be it passport, Adhaar or whatever. PAN usually gives access to all loans expenditures by credit card etc, it will give too much info unnecessarily. I always keep the PAN column blank if it is allowed on the form.

So all this hoopla for an identity card?! It may be good for those who don't have any gove identity like the poor people on street or such. But for tax paying goats like me who have handed their nuts to govt already, Adhaar is of very little - if at all any - use.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sorry, I don't understand even though I am in IT, developing enterprise (server based) products. What is ridiculous?
Windows OS costs money. And Windows can only run MS SQL server, which again costs money. Since the data is huge, there will be an array of servers and backup servers. If somebody wants to reduce cost, there are cheaper alternates available without any comprise of quality.
Quote:
Wow, that's perfect. It is not even an address proof.
A senior official from UID project recently clarified that 'objective of UID is to provide ID proof for those who don't have it right now or can't get ID proof'. If somebody already has an ID proof, UID won't be of much help.
Quote:
Ideally they should use the same system used for issuing passport.
Yes, I am all for issuing passports to all citizens which will serve as both ID & address proof. Passport issuing could be further simplified and more efficient. Passport can be a bio-metric smart cards done in multiple phases, with a nominal fee.

Last edited by msdivy : 17th April 2012 at 12:15.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand even though I am in IT, developing enterprise (server based) products. What is ridiculous?

Yup, I too don't understand. I am in IT and our team is running one of Europe's largest risk data warehouse and front ends of a bank on entirely Windows and SQL Server platforms.

Quote:
Ideally they should use the same system used for issuing passport. That has been streamlined well enough with the help of TCS. The UID can be Infosys effort.
If two of the world's heavyweight IT giants can't combine and make this happen, then who will? I am sure these two corps will have ample support from the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Windows OS costs money. And Windows can only run MS SQL server, which again costs money. Since the data is huge, there will be an array of servers and backup servers.

Didn't get you. Are you saying that enterprise systems must be developed using and hosted on Open Source software? Especially a system that needs to have truckloads of security?

And what exactly did you mean by "Windows can only run MS SQL server"??

Last edited by ssh1979 : 17th April 2012 at 13:31.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:

I guess he was referring to Back end servers & some where i agree. As a core infrastructure engg , i won;t bet my money on windows servers for critical requirements. they are way too Unstable for load , these server will get when billions of queries will be made at same time into them. There is a reason why majority of Banks trust Solaris / MF Systems for their core applications .

Coming to topic, I applied for my card on 24 sept previous year, Still no sign of so called card where as other members in family who has applied at same time has received their cards.

As for valid ness goes, I already carry 2 different Id proofs in my Purse and i don;t see these 2 getting replaced by a single aadhar card in this life time. it;s a waste efforts IMO . The govt babu;s launched it with much fanfare to generate some good will & earn media coverage, without thinking & planning a inch about it. typical indian govt initiative

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 17th April 2012 at 14:14.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
So all this hoopla for an identity card?! It may be good for those who don't have any gove identity like the poor people on street or such. But for tax paying goats like me who have handed their nuts to govt already, Adhaar is of very little - if at all any - use.
Initially people thought it's one card that will replace all 'non-smart' cards like ration, voter id, etc. Then they said it's for people who don't have an id-card already. If so why waste Rs.150 x 60 crore, for people who already possess a valid id. Couldn't they issue these 'costly' cards, only to those who didn't have any identity?

Quote:
A senior official from UID project recently clarified that 'objective of UID is to provide ID proof for those who don't have it right now or can't get ID proof'.
But the reality is the Aadhar card is issued only to people who already possess a valid document.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:00   #51
BHPian

Considering the numbers, issuing UIDs to all in India will be a great challenge. And if done, should be error free. It has many advantages. I have stayed in Colombia for some time. They have successfully implemented there UID system. Its called cedula de ciudad. Like UID, each citizen is issued a card with unique number. And it is compulsory for them to carry the card in original at all times. I will tell you how day to day activities are simplified by this card.
1. You have to get a passport. Go to nearest passport office, show your UID card. Get token number, pay the fee and wait for your number. Your passport is issued the same day, within 3-4 hours.
2. Need a new mobile number. No need of any paper work. Just show your card, and they will have all the required information liked to the card.
3. On highways, bus stations, police does regular checks. They just ned to check UID and countercheck with database.

In short, this kills all the cumbersome paperwork we need in India. I am waiting for the system to be introduced in India.
I know it will be much difficult in India, owing to the population we have. And huge number of illegal migrants, which our politicians use as vote bank. Lets see how and by when the system is introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Initially people thought it's one card that will replace all 'non-smart' cards like ration, voter id, etc. Then they said it's for people who don't have an id-card already. If so why waste Rs.150 x 60 crore, for people who already possess a valid id. Couldn't they issue these 'costly' cards, only to those who didn't have any identity?

But the reality is the Aadhar card is issued only to people who already possess a valid document.
Our system is frustrating to the limit. They make rules without any thinking.
1. Last year I got my passport renewed at Bangalore. I needed to provide a proof for address. Only BSNL telephone bill is accepted. What about airtel/ vodaphone customers?? Rental agreement is not accepted!! Voter id is accepted (But to get a voter id rental agreement is acceptable!!!!!!!). Strange..
2. Karnataka govt. has come up with a rule that all new LPG connections can be obtained only on presenting Ration card. I am not from Karnataka. And its nearly impossible to get a ration card issued. I don't know how others are managing. Till date, I am using a private gas connection, which is much expensive, lesser in quantity. And I have no idea about its quality.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th April 2012 at 15:42. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 17th April 2012, 15:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Our system is frustrating to the limit. They make rules without any thinking.
1. Last year I got my passport renewed at Bangalore. I needed to provide a proof for address. Only BSNL telephone bill is accepted. What about airtel/ vodaphone customers?? Rental agreement is not accepted!! Voter id is accepted (But to get a voter id rental agreement is acceptable!!!!!!!). Strange..
It is not correct. They accept Airtel landline bills as proof of address. I used them in my case for my passport renewal here in Bangalore. Yes rental agreement is not accepted which is bizarre. Votel ID is accepted also your LPG connection bills are accepted. Bank passbook is also accepted. So there are enough alternatives. Its not so bad really. Passport office (especially with service like the PSKs) has reformed itself enormously compared to the nightmare it used to be in the past.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:41   #53
BHPian

True. My experience at PSK was excellent. I felt the system eqivalent to that of US embassies. In my earlier post, I mentioned my experience prior to visiting PSK. There website mentions only BSNL bills will be accepted. There customer care also confirmed the same. Bank statement, atleast 1 year old is accepted. In my case, my bank account was just 8 months old. Luckily I have a joint account with my wife which was exactly 1 year old at that time.
Anyways, 3 hours at PSK, and on 3rd day, I had my passport. This reformation is only at few select cities where it has been privatised (by TCS, I heard). Rest of India still has to go through the ordeal.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:52   #54
Team-BHP Support

The lease agreement is not often accepted because it is just an agreement between two people, and usually un-registered. It is not issued or verified by any government authority.

Quote:
Windows OS costs money. And Windows can only run MS SQL server, which again costs money. Since the data is huge, there will be an array of servers and backup servers. If somebody wants to reduce cost, there are cheaper alternates available without any comprise of quality.
What you save in cap-ex, you will spend in op-ex. It is easier and cheaper to hire people to maintain Windows, compared to Linux/Unix. My company makes enterprise products (24x7 usage with heavy loads) for HP-UX Unix, Win2008 and Linux. It is possible to train almost anybody to maintain Win2008 (familiarly of PC), the other OS needs much higher quality people and more training. BTW, Windows can run almost any database. But MS-SQL server runs only on Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Didn't get you. Are you saying that enterprise systems must be developed using and hosted on Open Source software? Especially a system that needs to have truckloads of security?
For any application that needs massive scale deployment and top security, one tends to go with a product that is backed by well established support system. One can't post a message in Internet and hope somebody will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I guess he was referring to Back end servers & some where i agree. As a core infrastructure engg , i won;t bet my money on windows servers for critical requirements. they are way too Unstable for load , these server will get when billions of queries will be made at same time into them. There is a reason why majority of Banks trust Solaris / MF Systems for their core applications.
Since Win2003, it has been very stable. But it also has been victim of intense bad-mouthing by Linux/Unix since the 90s. The quality of deployment depends on the solution architecture and database tuning. But people find Microsoft a convenient scapegoat every time.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Are you saying that enterprise systems must be developed using and hosted on Open Source software? Especially a system that needs to have truckloads of security?
Either OS can be secure or vulnerable - it depends on the team maintaining it. If cost per user or cost per metric is the criteria then there are plenty of options. If cost is not the criteria (like banks) then Windows is good option.
Quote:
And what exactly did you mean by "Windows can only run MS SQL server"??
Though there are plenty of DB options for Windows servers, it is primarily used for running MS SQL.
Quote:
What you save in cap-ex, you will spend in op-ex.
It depends on the application. For instance, my previous company used run a farm of CentOS systems, moving to Windows would have been cost-ineffective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Quote:
R S Sharma, director general of UIDAI, says Aadhaar has little relevance for individuals who have all essential documents like PAN. It is primarily for those who do not have any of the important documents. However, if you’ve been transferred to a new city, you will find it easy to get LPG and telephone connections using Aadhaar.
Aadhaar card has little relevance while investing, buying policies
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:53   #56
BHPian

Guys,

Need clarity on documentation for UID. Do they need to be self attested photocopies ? Or can we just barge in with Original Documents ?

Planning to take a plunge this week !

Neeed your guidance on the same
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:28   #57
BHPian

Below link will help

http://uidai.gov.in/how-to-enrol-for-aadhaar.html

meanwhile i applied in September last year and i am still to get a card. a query on website revealed

" cannot process at this time , try again later"

Typical govt website. tried calling the toll free number , per se Agent

" Our Servers are not working , would request you to call after 4 hours " . thanked the guy and hung up .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 2nd July 2012 at 16:32.
Old 7th September 2012, 15:45   #58
BANNED

http://kractivist.wordpress.com/2012...ionalsecurity/

I never got mine made I wasn't planning to unless life became impossible (not even just inconvenient) without it.
Old 7th September 2012, 19:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
very importantly, in any society, there is 5 % to 7 % of the population that does not have any fingerprints. In India, that is 15% +, because of agricultural labour: they do not have fingerprints. OK? The washerwomen, they do not have fingerprints. A lot of professions in India: and those are the very people who will get de-accessed from your public distribution system, using the UID.
This is very true. I have bio-metric security in my company. But getting my office handyman registered to the system was a big problem, he didn't have finger print in most fingers. I had to register his little finger.
Old 20th October 2012, 20:20   #60
BHPian

Aadhaar card in sight atlast!

We enrolled for Aadhaar cards in Aug 2011 and it was supposed to be delivered in 45 days.

When we checked the status in the UIDAI website, it proclaimed that since Oct 2011 "Your enrollment details are currently being processed. We expect this to take a bit longer than usual. Please check our site again after a few days."

Then we emailed to the help desk repeatedly at periodic intervals to indicate when the processing will be completed and when we will receive the cards. And every time a stock reply " We have checked your card status and it is undergoing quality checks. When completed, your card will be issued."

Miffed at these stock replies, we sent a strongly worded email stating that we know that it is under processing by checking the status and that does not a require an helpdesk to say so. The specific query was that the processing has been going on since Oct 2011 and a year over it is still going on. When will it be completed and when will we receive the cards? How long more have we to wait? One month? two months? another year? Is it an indefinite process that will go on and on forever? Have we to wait indefinitely?

We also told them having failed to get a specific reply and the helpdesk having failed to let us know the next level to which the issue can be escalated as requested, we will now be sending our complaint to the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public grievances. No reply from the helpdesk.

Then we did send a complaint to DARPG. (UIDAI comes under the Planning Commission.) http://pgportal.gov.in/Grievance.aspx and within days the help disk replied that they are working hard to deliver our cards at the earliest and to bear with them for some more time.

A month later when we checked the status "Congratulations. Your Aadhaar has been generated and the Aadhaar letter will be delivered shortly".

We then logged into the e-aadhaar portal http://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/ and downloaded the Aadhaar letter in pdf format. Now India Post has to deliver but we atleast know our Aadhaar Numbers and the long wait is almost over.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 20th October 2012 at 20:25.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks