Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 19:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Actually things are easier said than done. Think about it and you will see perfect reason behind a few of these points although they sound like big jokes. I myself felt these are hilarious and will again open millions of loopholes. However, at present this may be the best bet.

US has SSN and we all seem to swear by it. Granted that it is so meticulous and can track all your details, your janmakundli so to say. However, when did they bring in SSN in US? In 1936. And till 1986 it just used to be another number. People never used to apply for it till they attained 14 years of age. There were many other problems. The net takeaway here is, do not start blaming something new by comparing it to an age old, matured system. For, you may be missing the path to that maturity.

Yes, the government plans to let people without documents also register for UID as long as the person is 'introduced' by another Aadhar holder. Sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster. But think about it. You are starting off mid stream. There are millions out there whom you need to issue this card all of a sudden to make a beginning. You wish to eventually make UID mandatory for everyone (that is the long term plan). But then you will encounter many in this country who may not have proper documents. How do you get them all in to this system? This is the only way out.

Today, KYC is such a big thing when you try to open a new bank account. However, till some years back it was as simple as taking someone whom you know and the person holds an account in that branch along with you and get "introduced". The reason for that was same. Government wanted to spread banking to the masses in this country. Today the priorities have moved beyond that and so have the norms. Similarly, the UID may tomorrow make the rules tighter but today they do not wish to turn away people just because they lack documents.

I would say it is a good beginning. Initially we will see many false starts, hear horror stories etc. But I strongly feel that if the successive governments keep the conviction and keep pushing at it the Aadhar could very well become the SSN of India in another 20 years.

P.S. : I read aargee's pissed off reaction to the suggestion that the Aadhar can be linked to your bank account and almost fell off the chair, doubling over with mirth. Most savvy Indians will immediately see the connection. But lets face it. We want something like SSN. Obviously we all know the SSN and its reach. It was primarily created for taxation reasons. Much later did it become the means all for everything in life. If you want an SSN type of thing in this country you can not complain if it emulates SSN in everyway. In fact if it really catches on like SSN not only bank accounts you may have a lot more on the hook. Your land holdings, your overseas jaunts, expenses... think about it. Its frightening. But that is probably also the way forward.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th September 2010 at 19:47.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:52   #17
BHPian

I too am excited about the prospect of UID. The best part is that it is an ever-evolving system. It'll be possible to add as many details as and when required by doing the technical stuff at one central location [Traffic violations, criminal history etc....]

What it'll provide people is a true identity, something that has been bought and sold in the country for a meager amount for the past 60 years, or more. At least, I hope it will.

A lot of my optimism is due to the hope that Aadhar will evolve, and it will slowly encompass every aspect of every person in the country.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:53   #18
BHPian

Aadhar forms in BLR

Hi
Planning to apply for Aadhar card. Any pointers to the availability of forms in BLR.

Appreciate our kind attention and help

Mods: Kindly merge with existing thread if any on the said topic
Old 12th August 2011, 11:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Aadhar forms in BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hi
Planning to apply for Aadhar card. Any pointers to the availability of forms in BLR.
Check with your nearest Post Office.

Cheers!
Old 12th August 2011, 13:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

The UID registration in Thane is a big joke. Currently only the TMC is the only authorized place for getting the form. Upon enquiry I found that only 50 forms are allocated per day and the allocated forms are accepted with all proofs and biometrics after 3 days.

To get a hand for those forms people form queues from 4 am in the morning. Knowing that only 50 forms are distributed hordes of people still queue and then go empty handed.

Mr Nilakeni - are your listening? Wakeup and provide online applications too.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

What real benefits wil the UID scheme provide?
Unified identification of several documents?

To what purpose?
The ppl who are going to demand the UID, work on the UID (create and utilize), verify the UID is the same govt machinery.

That same gov't machinery could've done a stellar job in the existing system.
But it has not happened.

And the same is going to be the story of UID.
Expect a lot of fake UID profiles to be sold in tout markets ...
Old 12th August 2011, 15:17   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The UID registration in Thane is a big joke. Currently only the TMC is the only authorized place for getting the form. Upon enquiry I found that only 50 forms are allocated per day and the allocated forms are accepted with all proofs and biometrics after 3 days.

To get a hand for those forms people form queues from 4 am in the morning. Knowing that only 50 forms are distributed hordes of people still queue and then go empty handed.

Mr Nilakeni - are your listening? Wakeup and provide online applications too.

I have done my aadhar registration at pune.

Forms are available at their website (google around). You can use xerox or prints as forms are not numbered.

If you have passport, you dont need any additional documents.

Probably you are referring to 50 Tokens being distributed every..

Atleast in pune there are multiple centers based on area.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What real benefits wil the UID scheme provide?
Unified identification of several documents?

To what purpose?
The ppl who are going to demand the UID, work on the UID (create and utilize), verify the UID is the same govt machinery.

That same gov't machinery could've done a stellar job in the existing system.
But it has not happened.

And the same is going to be the story of UID.
Expect a lot of fake UID profiles to be sold in tout markets ...
I think you ought to read earlier posts to understand what it will be used for and what its potential is. If the fingerprints/IRIS scans are taken how do you expect "fake profiles" to be sold? Of course, one can argue Biometric is not 100% reliable, but do we have an alternative?

"To what purpose?
The ppl who are going to demand the UID, work on the UID (create and utilize), verify the UID is the same govt machinery."

-- UID is exactly for this purpose! To make all departments establish a single identity for a person! Who did you expect this to be used by? Just Read wiki, that would give a start on what it is benefits. Linky - Unique Identification Authority of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12th August 2011, 17:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
I think you ought to read earlier posts to understand what it will be used for and what its potential is. If the fingerprints/IRIS scans are taken how do you expect "fake profiles" to be sold? Of course, one can argue Biometric is not 100% reliable, but do we have an alternative?

"To what purpose?
The ppl who are going to demand the UID, work on the UID (create and utilize), verify the UID is the same govt machinery."

-- UID is exactly for this purpose! To make all departments establish a single identity for a person! Who did you expect this to be used by? Just Read wiki, that would give a start on what it is benefits. Linky - Unique Identification Authority of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes I cannot fake the fingerprints or retina scan.
But I can definitely grease the palms of the local officer responisble, and get a valid document showing that my nationality is Indian.

Then this document is further used to create the UID - which re instates without doubt that I am an Indian.

Did this sove the purpose of identifying who are citizens and who are aliens?

This fake profile UID can be used for any purpose, now that I am a certified citizen of India.

Which brings me to the point I made:
"That same gov't machinery could've done a stellar job in the existing system.
But it has not happened."

What UID does is only reduce the time spent on various activities involving interaction with the govt channels.
It cannot correct the corrupt attitude of our govt machinery.
(which is a bigger problem than the inter department communication delays)
Old 12th August 2011, 17:53   #25
BHPian

This information is useful to residents of Hyderabad:
Karvy global services (near rainbow hospital), road No 11, banjara hills is accepting applications for UID.

Before you go make sure:
1. Go with entire family
2. Take photocopies of address proof and photo ID proof (separate set for each family member)
3. Fill up the application available at Karvy and after submitting the same you will be provided a waiting number.
4. When your number is displayed, proceed to the respective booth.
5. You are finger printed and iris scanned.
6. They provide an acknowledgement and you can expect the UID card in 2 months time.

I think Karvy is open between 9 AM and 8PM.
It took me 45 minutes for the entire process, when I visited them at 5 PM.
rrswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 18:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^ UID may not seem to work right away, but we need to start somewhere, no? I do not remember clearly, but I think they say something like Rome was not built in a day or the likes. Let the foundations be laid, you cannot expect a new born baby to run right after the birth, there is a time frame for everything to work!
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrswift View Post
This information is useful to residents of Hyderabad:
Karvy global services (near rainbow hospital), road No 11, banjara hills is accepting applications for UID.

Before you go make sure:
1. Go with entire family
2. Take photocopies of address proof and photo ID proof (separate set for each family member)
3. Fill up the application available at Karvy and after submitting the same you will be provided a waiting number.
4. When your number is displayed, proceed to the respective booth.
5. You are finger printed and iris scanned.
6. They provide an acknowledgement and you can expect the UID card in 2 months time.

I think Karvy is open between 9 AM and 8PM.
It took me 45 minutes for the entire process, when I visited them at 5 PM.
Has anybody applied for Aadhaar in Bangalore? Any pointers like what rrswift has given for Hyderabad will be useful.
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:47   #28
BANNED

I know when Seshan launched the Voters id card, it was proposed (by Mohan Tambe) that use the data as a basis for a national id card. Nobody listened.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

I and my family have applied for the UID card. Let us see when we will get them. Btw, the photos they take are not good at all. The person looks slightly distorted because of the wide angle lens. Also they do not frame the photos correctly. And the retina scanner was hanging every few minutes.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:38   #30
Team-BHP Support

Government IDs usually have the worst possible photos since it is shot in dingy places by people who couldn't care less.

Anyway, looks like it is all going to be wasted.

UPA's pet UID project set to be trashed : North News - India Today
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks