Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:55   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
CIA link to Aadhar - http://t.co/3HO6lUhs8O
MongoDB is open source software. In case UID is using it, they must first do a complete source audit & then use the database.

So what if MongoDB is funded by CIA? Everybody need to give it back to open source community. That is how it is supported.
Quote:
Still want to continue with Aadhar?
Attachment 1160559
The purpose of Aadhar is to give a number for a set of biometrics. Its purpose is not to certify whether somebody is Indian national or not.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:18   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
MongoDB is open source software. In case UID is using it, they must first do a complete source audit & then use the database. So what if MongoDB is funded by CIA? Everybody need to give it back to open source community. That is how it is supported.
So, you want people to trust UIDAI - they will do a source audit and use the application? Continue living in your world, but don't force others.

You want to give back to open source community (assuming that it is so) at the cost of exposing biometric data of the people to the intelligence agency of another country?

Last edited by Samurai : 4th December 2013 at 08:53. Reason: Keep civility.
Old 4th December 2013, 09:46   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, you want people to trust UIDAI - they will do a source audit and use the application? Continue living in your world, but don't force others.
Why did they chose MongoDB out of 100s of databases? Somebody did that homework in UID. So if somebody is developing large software, they will take care to ensure all under lying parts work and are secure. No dreams here, these are just basic homework.
Quote:
You want to give back to open source community (assuming that it is so) at the cost of exposing biometric data of the people to the intelligence agency of another country?
Given that CIA funded MongoDB, given that UID maintains its database, how would CIA get UID data? What am I missing?
Old 4th December 2013, 10:35   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CIA link to Aadhar - http://t.co/3HO6lUhs8O
Quote:
So, you want people to trust UIDAI - they will do a source audit and use the application?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Why did they chose MongoDB out of 100s of databases? Somebody did that homework in UID.

Given that CIA funded MongoDB, given that UID maintains its database, how would CIA get UID data? What am I missing?
In my opinion, there are a lot of reasons to avoid Aadhar, but this isn't one of them. The ET article (on which the FP article is based) is typical of that newspaper's style of journalism - read these excerpts, for example:

"(MongoDB) is already being used for analysing the pace at which registration of new beneficiaries is taking place."

"There is no evidence in the public domain that the firm is controlled or significantly influenced by the CIA in any manner."

"if MongoDB is a data controller, then secret courts and secret court orders could be used to get access to the UID data"

and so on. My best guess is that one of the also-rans in this tender is trying to scuttle the deal by bringing up this CIA connection.

Frankly speaking, I will be more worried about secret NSA/CIA sponsored backdoors in the operating system software that might be running on Nilekani's laptop/tablet, sold by large American corporations than outright backdoors in publicly accessible source code released under open-source licensing terms.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:59   #410
Team-BHP Support

Oracle was initially developed for CIA. That means.... OMG!

TCPIP development was funded by US department of defense. That means....

But seriously, any Indian civilian database is easy meat for anybody who wants it. They are badly implemented by the cheapest vendor who has paid half of the PO amount back in kickbacks. Just look at any central/state website, they are built using mid 90s technology and by really bad programmers. Every time I visit Bhoomi website, I feel like I have entered the twilight zone. Instead of accepting about 6-7 fields in one page, they use 6-7 pages to accept the 6-7 fields. My F-I-L needs this website a lot and every time I have to help him, I start cursing the development team. That web was designed by a retard. Most government websites are more for less like this.

The UID related data will be handled by retards like this. Besides, you don't need CIA/NSA funded software to get to Indian data bank. Just bribing certain people in the right places will achieve anything in our government machinery.

There was this blog couple years back by a techie. This is about the CBSE results web site. While trying to find the results for his relative, he discovered that one could get results for the entire country by just changing the client side java-script. Techies would know what I mean. That is like writing the combination for the safe locker, on the side of the safe locker. Using this he was able to retrieve results for the entire country. He was obviously stunned at this shoddy implementation, and reported his findings to a reputed newspaper. But the retards at the newspaper, who obviously didn't understand techie jargon, reported that a local hacker has hacked the CBSE results website. So he got into trouble with the police. Wonder what happened to the retards who designed [sic] the website.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:12   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There was this blog couple years back by a techie. This is about the CBSE results web site. While trying to find the results for his relative, he discovered that one could get results for the entire country by just changing the client side java-script.
Not "couple of years back", just earlier this year (unless there have been two such cases).

http://deedy.quora.com/Hacking-into-...ucation-System

The guy was a student at Cornell University. As far as I know, nothing came out of it - CISCE maintained a stoic silence, and the storm blew over. The same people are conducting another set of exams in another 3-4 months. :-)
Old 4th December 2013, 12:25   #412
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, I must be getting old. I thought it was a while back, because details were already hazy to me.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:46   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still want to continue with Aadhar?
You are wasting time here, most supporters of Aadhar have already bought in to the unsubstantiated claims made by the government. Plugging subsidy leaks is just one of those, if you have a ration card, whatever scam made possible with that would be extended to Aadhar down the line. Aadhar has also been issued to furniture and animals, the biometrics used is compromised by the fact the a good percentage of the population doesn't have fingerprints, if you do hard labour, the reader will not recognise your fingerprint, so eligible people don't get subsidies, just like the ration card of today.

The providers are American companies which are required by law to give access to the US establishment, most companies already have an inbuilt interface to enable this as it prevents harassment by various law enforcement agencies. Aadhar was never meant to be proof of citizenship, the UIDAI said so itself, anyway with the scheme in full swing, a lot of illegals can breathe easy.
Old 5th December 2013, 08:27   #414
BHPian

Aadhaar project draws IB's ire over issuing cards to refugees, foreigners - http://m.economictimes.com/articlesh...campaign=cppst
Old 11th December 2013, 21:31   #415
Senior - BHPian

In related news:

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Will...w/27197771.cms
Old 12th December 2013, 19:45   #416
BHPian

Direct LPG subsidy may be taxed. An individual who receives nine cylinders a year gets a total subsidy of Rs 5,670 in a year. The tax on this could be as high as about Rs 1,700 a year, if the individual comes under the highest tax bracket of 30%.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ors_picks=true
Old 12th December 2013, 20:17   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Direct LPG subsidy may be taxed. An individual who receives nine cylinders a year gets a total subsidy of Rs 5,670 in a year. The tax on this could be as high as about Rs 1,700 a year, if the individual comes under the highest tax bracket of 30%.
I don't understand why a person need subsidy if he falls under 30% tax bracket, he is earning enough
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:28   #418
BHPian

Aadhar: oil companies and district administration may be sued - http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5476895.ece
Old 21st January 2014, 16:35   #419
BHPian

Has anyone availed this LPG subsidy. I just got my first LPG refill after linking my Aadhar card number. I had to pay Rs 1265 for the refill. And yesterday, I had got the fund transfer of Rs 435. That effectively means I paid 790 for the subsidized cylinder. Where as for non aadhar linked people, the rate is 425 :(

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 21st January 2014 at 16:46.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:28   #420
Senior - BHPian

Someone I know told me that he paid 1265 and got a refund of 832.9.

In addition he got a one time subsidy advance of 435 that must be returned to iocl while surrendering the connection. Not very sure what this is about, but that's what I was told.

You probably need to wait for the 832.9 refund.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks