Team-BHP - Nationwide UID - will it work?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Nationwide UID - will it work? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89698-nationwide-uid-will-work.html)

Friends,

We all knew nationwide UID scheme for each individual was launched and today the govt. is unveiling it.

We already have

1) Passport
2) PAN Card
3) Voters ID card
4) Ration card
5) Driving Licese
6) Company/Govt. Employee ID Card.

Adding to this list, do you think the new UID will make any difference and will it work?

-Ravi

Ho what I want is ,I tell this number to what ever authority that asks and he should be able to get all the details .All integrated into one .

Imagine ,you are driving or riding . Some one stops ,you just tell him this number ,he should be able to get you license ,your insurance , your age, etc etc without all the papers work non sense .

You shouldn't carry anthing ,just the number .Just make sure you have your data updated all the time . It would be wonderful .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravib (Post 2087993)
Friends,

We all knew nationwide UID scheme for each individual was launched and today the govt. is unveiling it.

We already have

1) Passport
2) PAN Card
3) Voters ID card
4) Ration card
5) Driving Licese
6) Company/Govt. Employee ID Card.

Adding to this list, do you think the new UID will make any difference and will it work?

-Ravi

Ravi
You are correct that we had multiple initiatives in the past. The only hope I have that this will success is that it is being run by a team of better professionals.
They will definitely provide better technology solution but its never the technology that makes or breaks an initiative - its the people who use the tools who decide its fate.
Look at the railway reservation system - it works great. The passport/ PAN never wanted to learn from the success of railways.
So its usually the people.

UK has National Insurance Number, US Social Security Number, etc. All data is then linked to that. However, knives are already out to get the Aadhar! There is too much vested interest in ensuring that it does not work.

Hello ravib, As you mentioned, we do have Passport, License etc etc. The issue Govt is facing is the fact that all these can be faked. A person can manage to get 2 paasports, or multiple pan cards etc etc.

While issuing UID, The gov't will record your 10 fingerprints and Iris scan and associate them to your UID. That means a person in India can never fake records and obtain a 2nd UID with the current available technology. And at later stages, all your existing identity like passport, license etc will be mapped to this UID. So now you should know the importance of this initiative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 2088305)
While issuing UID, The gov't will record your 10 fingerprints and Iris scan and associate them to your UID. That means a person in India can never fake records and obtain a 2nd UID with the current available technology. And at later stages, all your existing identity like passport, license etc will be mapped to this UID. So now you should know the importance of this initiative.

In such a scenario, wouldn't identity theft also increase considering the high levels of corruption and incompetence amongst our bureaucrats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfheart (Post 2088313)
In such a scenario, wouldn't identity theft also increase considering the high levels of corruption and incompetence amongst our bureaucrats?

I believe identity theft will stop to a great extend. The bureaucrats needs actual human volunteers to fake the identity. And when one person has volunteered to fake the identity, that means he has lost his own identity and in no circumstances can he use his actual identity because his fingerprints and iris scan is already mapped to one UID which he faked. He is forced to live with the fake identity forever.

We cannot rule out such instances in the initial stages. But very soon, this UID will become a part of our lives. We will need that for applying bank account, mobile connection, gas connection, pension, etc etc. And at that stages identity theft can be completely ruled out.
All agency who uses this system will have either a iris or a fingerprint scanner. You have to provide your UID and scan your finger or iris and the system identifies if it do not match.

Thanks for the info holyghost (sorry don't know your real name).

So, from what you are saying, I see its a very long way to go ! There is lots to do on infrastructure in every place to make this happen.

Our people are so intelligent, such that they use their intelligence for finding a loop hole in the system or find a crooked way to cheat the existing mechanism. I am afraid, if this UID system also gets in to that way, then all the effort will be of no use. They should also have strict implementation procedures, in case of any violations. That is the bigger problem, because offenders are not really scared, when they are caught. They find a way to escape from it (either by bribe or corruption or whatever means they can get out). In our country, laws are also good/adequate (though not great at all times), but law enforcement is the problem. (For e.g. take the smoking prohibition law).

At any rate, I am looking forward for an integrated system like the one implemented in U.A.E or US/UK.

One of my friend is in Dubai. I have heard that, even if someone doesn't pay their mobile bill, they cannot exit the country and will be caught in airport.

Unless the individual's UID status is clean and clear, they will be caught everywhere. No cheating by any means... WoW ! what a system is in place...

Thats a role model IMO.

-Ravi

Yes, It is a looooong way to go. And the kind of infrastructure to support the data of 1Bn users is even huge. And that shows why Bill Gates directly showed his interest in partnering with this initiative.

And the kind of loop holes too are many. Managing the access to the database is the most critical part. Let's wait and see how it goes. It will take time. A lot of time.
If it is a success, Then it will be one of the best efforts from the Govt. If not, okay, just another ID like your PAN card. We will live with it.

I personally would love to see the success of this project.
Think about the general election. How many fake votes can we eliminate with this.
Think BPL families. The Govt can track each and every allowances reaching BPL family. The supplier cannot give away all the rice, sugar , kerosene to whoever he likes. The person under BPL has to physically swipe his fingers for the supplier to provide the item. What happens after that, lets forget. but atleast there is a record.
And the best initiative I think is:
All BPL, privileged families are being provided a bank account at the time of registration of UID. All grants, allowances from Govt will directly go to that account. And Yes, There are loop holes, but overall there will be an improvement.

Good initiative which has started 65 years after independance. Now we have legitimate 70 crore extra people to cover and god know how many illegal immigrants from across borders.
Hope the UID becomes one single document and not adds up to the list of so many that still can't establish a person's identity properly.

Use of bio-metrics is a plus point with the UID system that we have. Hope we get them sooner.

According to 10 things you must know about the UID project - India News - IBNLive

1. Aadhaar (the UID number) is not mandatory. People can choose not to be a part of the exercise.

2. It is not restricted to Indian citizens only and is meant for residents of India, irrespective of their citizenship. An Aadhaar card does not establish citizenship of India, it is meant for identification.

3. Even people without proper identification documents can apply for Aadhaar. Authorised individuals, who already have an Aadhaar, can introduce residents who don't possess any documents to establish their identity to enable them to receive their Aadhaar.

4. Aadhar will not replace other identification documents such as ration card or passport.

5. The UIDAI will collect only biometric and demographic information about an individual and will not ask for info on caste, religion or language.

6. Date of Birth is optional (for people who don't remember/know their date of birth) and approximate age will suffice.

7. Transgenders have been included in the options under gender and they need not classify themselves as male or female.

8. Residents of India have an option to link their UID number to their bank accounts.

9. To get an UID number residents will have to go to the nearest Aadhaar enrollment camp, details of which will be published in the local media. Residents will have to carry along certain documents, mentioned in the advertisement. Residents will also be photographed and have their fingerprints and iris scanned. The Aadhaar numbers will be issued within 20-30 days.

10. The draft National Identification Authority of India bill has provisions against impersonation, providing false information and for protection of personal information collected by the UIDAI. Violations can attract penalties in the form of fines of up to Rs 1 crore and imprisonment extending up to a life term.

To me all the points sounded :Shockked:; I feel the Govt is spending unnecessary on this except for the two of them below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 2088427)
5. The UIDAI will collect only biometric and demographic information about an individual and will not ask for info on caste, religion or language.

7. Transgenders have been included in the options under gender and they need not classify themselves as male or female.

Quote:

8. Residents of India have an option to link their UID number to their bank accounts.

This is a typical work of income tax department to simply poke in their nose whereever possible; looking at the amount of tax we're paying from pin to plane, offlate I'm beginning to think the Govt is the biggest looter in this country :Frustrati

Quote:

Residents will have to carry along certain documents, mentioned in the advertisement.

This is quite funny & contradictory to point #3

And the below ones are the biggest jokes
Quote:

Authorised individuals, who already have an Aadhaar, can introduce residents who don't possess any documents to establish their identity to enable them to receive their Aadhaar

Quote:

Violations can attract penalties in the form of fines of up to Rs 1 crore and imprisonment extending up to a life term.

Anyway, one myth is cleared that this is no way same as SSN in US, which proves not only we're still several decade lagging behind, but also not taking the steps in the way it should be taken.

This is just a beginning. Let us give it some years. If it goes as expected, it will become the SSN.
If not, as I mentioned earlier, just another ID to carry along with your DL and PAN. The long term advantages may justify the money spent on this project. After all it is our money they are spending for this, so let's hope it provides positive results.

Do NOT forget, somewhere in 2006 or 2008 PF office was asked to issue an ID named as Social Security Number. This was later NOT implemented, not sure of why or what stopped it.

It surprises me 12 digit number to identify all Indians. Will that be enough? Even if it is enough today, are we not looking at this project to stay unique for coming years or decades? I am eagerly waiting to see this, keeping in mind Nandan Nilkeni is behind this, it should work (not another project implemented by a politico).

Somewhere around all this will be grouped and made into one - the UID. Hope for a better tomorrow - Jai Hind