Team-BHP - Gardening experts in Team BHP?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gardening experts in Team BHP? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89939-gardening-experts-team-bhp-11.html)

Current bloom of Orchids!
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20141101_140038.jpg

have recently started terrace gardening , tomato,brinjal are all have good bloom however they dry and drop instead of maturing , what could be the problem and how to solve this any pointers . i have planted in grow bags using remade potting mix .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 3569747)
have recently started terrace gardening , tomato,brinjal are all have good bloom however they dry and drop instead of maturing , what could be the problem and how to solve this any pointers . i have planted in grow bags using remade potting mix .

There could be multiple problems
. Too small a pot
. Excessive water - ensure that the soil is well drained
. Excessive fertilizers
. Too little/too much of sunlight
. Bad seeds. Buy seeds from known source and ensure that they are fresh

Lastly look up the net for growing vegetables in similar conditions.

Any advice on where herb seeds are available? Have already tried many nurseries but to no avail in Mumbai.
Herbs e.g.: Oregano, Sage, Thyme etc used typically in cooking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 3569747)
... tomato,brinjal are all have good bloom however they dry and drop instead of maturing , what could be the problem and how to solve this any pointers . i have planted in grow bags using remade potting mix .

Nutrients missing, especially K (potassium) and calcium. Add good vermicompost in the soil, and bury some banana peels in the pot. Look up how to make compost tea - applying compost tea will get results faster. All these are organic methods. If you are not opposed to the idea of inorganic fertilizers, you can get some which can be dissolved in water and sprayed on the plants (foliar spray).

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3571223)
Any advice on where herb seeds are available? Have already tried many nurseries but to no avail in Mumbai.
Herbs e.g.: Oregano, Sage, Thyme etc used typically in cooking.

Order online - Omaxe seeds. Nurseries don't sell herb seedlings or seeds. If there is a horticulture or agricultural university in / near Mumbai, they might have seedlings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3571780)

Order online - Omaxe seeds. Nurseries don't sell herb seedlings or seeds. If there is a horticulture or agricultural university in / near Mumbai, they might have seedlings.

Thanks! Ordering soon. Liked the selection available here. Can you explain what they mean by Hybrid? It is not GMO right? Also any site for getting good inorganic fertilizers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3572620)
... Can you explain what they mean by Hybrid? It is not GMO right? ...

Hybrid here stands for mating and crossing variants of the same plant, to get the best characteristics. For example, there may be 1 variant that gives large fruit, but it is prone to diseases and has less productivity. If this variant is crossed with another variant that is disease resistant, you solve that problem. If the result is then crossed with another that is more prolific in fruit production, you finally get a plant which is prolific and disease resistant, and bears large fruit.

No, this is not GMO, which is direct modification of genes of a plant (removing known problems, inserting known behaviour), and is done by tissue culture in a lab. Mating and crossing hybridization is a test field operation (cross pollination, joining stem/branch cuttings, etc.). Institutes like IARI Pusa (Delhi) have been doing it for the last 50 years or more. In Bangalore, we are lucky to have 3 - Gandhi Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Univ. of Agricultural Sciences), IHRI (Horticulture Inst.) and Biotech Center of Dept. of Horticulture (Karnataka Govt.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 3572620)
... any site for getting good inorganic fertilizers?

http://www.vardhamanfertilizers.net/

http://www.vardhamancropnutrients.co...ertilizer.html

I doubt if you can order on the net from them, but you can always ask for the coordinates of a distributor or dealer near you.

I am not sure if this is the right place,but Organic terrace gardening in bangalore and Intipanta in Hyderabad are the renowned groups on Facebook for gardening.

There are many more for each of the cities. Pictures are shared and advice given on everything about how to garden.

Please check it out. If you are unsure, Please PM me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird (Post 3425945)
Thanks a lot, DerAlte!
The first option looks interesting and I am planning to drive down there next weekend all the way from my home in Whitefield!
I have been paying Rs 30-40 per kg of compost till now! :Shockked:

Ideally you should be paying 4-7 rs per kilo of compost.

Need some urgent help please:, my terrace garden is suddenly infested with big rats ( bandicoot ) they are digging huge holes and throwing out all the soil out the big pots on a daily basis . I have tried rat kill however after couple of days they are back ,I am just lost and dont want to loose my well grown flowering plants .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 3675189)
Need some urgent help please:, my terrace garden is suddenly infested with big rats ( bandicoot ) they are digging huge holes and throwing out all the soil out the big pots on a daily basis . I have tried rat kill however after couple of days they are back ,I am just lost and dont want to loose my well grown flowering plants .

There must be some thing in your soil that attracts them. Collect a lot of neem leaves and make a thick paste in a mixer. Pour this mixture in all pots. You get a three in one benefit
. No pests
. Fertilizer
. Rats and other animals will give it a wide berth

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 3675189)

I'm curious to know how they got there in first place. Check all your drain plugs are covered with traps. Also, if possible, keep pots on parapet wall(away from road/danger) for few days

Thank you for the valuable suggestion , the neem solution seems to be working atleast yesterday night did not find any attack on the pots :).However even i am surprised how they made their way to the terrace , we have had these pots for more than a year now .

Experts, do you have any suggestions on where to buy moss in Bengaluru?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutralgrey (Post 3676204)
Experts, do you have any suggestions on where to buy moss in Bengaluru?

You can try Garden Care - Ulsoor
Here is the contact number - 25566881