Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 12:27   #226
BHPian

re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
2. I am considering using dried leaves and veg peelings for preparing compost. I only have a small balcony and cannot afford it to stink. I am also quite lazy and would prefer something easy to use. will amazon be a good friend to buy some of these compost bins (aerobic vs anaerobic, etc).
More random questions later...
Hello there. I live in Bangalore. I have been composting wet waste at my home for a few years now. Results have been quite encouraging.
My post would be quite long if I were to put in all details of my composting venture. I use products from Dailydump and also do some improvisations of my own.
If interested, PM me your number and we can talk in detail.
If you live in/visit Bangalore, you can even drop by my home to have a first-hand look.
Old 18th February 2018, 07:21   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hello there. I live in Bangalore. I have been composting wet waste at my home for a few years now. Results have been quite encouraging.
It was nice talking to you and clarify my doubts about composing. Very encouraging too. You've certainly motivated me to start the process.
Old 18th February 2018, 08:42   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need suggestion on planting small trees at my home which would cover the view from outside and provide privacy. It should be tall/thick for a 2 floor house. I can do without fruit trees else the street kids may throw stones to pluck the fruits. Trees with minimum maintenance.

Thanks
Consider planting an few 'Ashoka' trees. Will need a few years to grow, but provide all year cover. Need low/no maintenance apart from timming and watering.
Do note that they have a small gooseberry sized fruit that is black, with a thick seed. This fruit doesn't seem to attract any birds, so once a year, the trees shower these fruits. Of course normal shedding of leave, which means that regular sweeping is needed.
Old 29th April 2018, 14:08   #229
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks any references for a low cost garden leaf/waste shredder ? Maybe something with a 2hp motor ? This is to help quicken the composting process especially with waste from coconut trees and small branches in addition to leaves.

Last edited by NPV : 29th April 2018 at 14:09.
Old 20th June 2018, 10:44   #230
BHPian

Does anyone have experience in using Coco pith in grow bags for a terrace kitchen garden? The ratio of pith to vermi-compost is something that I am concerned about. The ratios that are suggested seem be so varied that I am unsure of what is optimum.
Old 22nd June 2018, 22:16   #231
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Does anyone have experience in using Coco pith in grow bags for a terrace kitchen garden? The ratio of pith to vermi-compost is something that I am concerned about. The ratios that are suggested seem be so varied that I am unsure of what is optimum.
Growing in coco peat has certain limitations as its a sterile medium devoid of any nutrients, so unless one is going for some kind of hydroponic or drip system one may find it difficult to sustain growth. You would need to add pearlite for water retention. Veges like tomato and cucumber have huge nutrient uptake and one needs to be on toes to manage that, soil is the best medium for a start, one can fill grow bags with soil and it works wonders.

In so far as ratio of peat to vermi compost is concerned you can put 4:1 parts(4 parts peat to 1 part vermi compost volume wise, and for normal compost ratio of 1 part compost to 2 parts peat+pearlite is ok.
Old 27th June 2018, 19:37   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I use a 1:1 mix with a little horse manure and a couple of handful of oilseed cake. No soil. Pack it down in the growbags or buckets to provide firm base for the roots. I use this mix for plants that last a season or less than an year.

For planting 'trees' in paint buckets, I change the mix to soil-cocopeat 1:1. In the bottom half I mix in manure only, and top half I mix in compost and oilseed cake (neem, groundnut, pongamia, etc.).

* I add a few handfuls of compost and powdered oilseed cake at the top every 3 months to the plants
* I also spray Epsom Salts to most of the plants, especially tomatoes, roses etc.
* Whenever there is fresh leachate from my anaerobic composting, I dilute (1:10 leachate:water) and apply to soil
* Plants that like acidic soil, like curry leaves etc., get their periodic share of diluted sour curds or buttermilk
* I don't add any supplements to make up for lack of soil trace elements. The compost I make from kitchen waste gives more than necessary - Calcium from egg shells (to avoid blossom end rot in tomatoes), Potassium from banana peels (for flowers and fruit) etc. the only other stuff I add for some plants is bonemeal - for Phosphorus (root growth, fruits)

IMHO ratios for soil mix really don't matter, as long as something IS added. Nature doesn't need or give homogeneity. It is our desire for productivity and aesthetics that drives us to fret over mix ratios.

I have many friends in my OTG circle of friends who grow plants in compost only, getting excellent results. I have tried it successfully sometimes, the limitation being home compost availability. If one has ground space, Cucurbitae (pumpkin, gourds, cucumbers etc.) grow very well when planted around compost pits.
Old 15th July 2018, 16:41   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for some basic tools like a garden rake. Any ideas where can I get these ? Prefer South Bangalore or city market area.

TIA !
Old 15th July 2018, 18:23   #234
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looking for some basic tools like a garden rake. Any ideas where can I get these ? Prefer South Bangalore or city market area.
You can get them at any of the big nurseries around Lalbagh like the ones around the Siddapura area - Krishnarajendra nursery, etc. Take the road opposite the Lalbagh east gate (going from Hosur Road-Double Road junction towards Jayanagar, the gate on right side), towards the Kalyani and you will find many of the nurseries there.

Last edited by NPV : 15th July 2018 at 18:24.
Old 15th July 2018, 19:13   #235
PGA
BHPian

Consider getting it from Amazon, Falcon brand is good though a bit expensive.
Old 15th July 2018, 20:03   #236
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

TIA !
If you go to KR Market area, even on SJP road, you find lots of them. You can see them as you walk on the road. Price wise they might be best too.
Old 15th July 2018, 20:10   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can get them at any of the big nurseries ....
Thanks, NPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Consider getting it from Amazon, Falcon brand is good though a bit expensive.
Nah, does need to be that good. More rough use stuff. But Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If you go to KR Market area, even on SJP road, you find lots of them. You can see them as you walk on the road. Price wise they might be best too.
Will try this, thanks. Have seen many tools being sold on the foot-path too ( along that garden in between the one-ways. Will check.
Old 16th July 2018, 11:31   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* I add a few handfuls of compost and powdered oilseed cake at the top every 3 months to the plants
* I also spray Epsom Salts to most of the plants, especially tomatoes, roses etc.
* Whenever there is fresh leachate from my anaerobic composting, I dilute (1:10 leachate:water) and apply to soil
* Plants that like acidic soil, like curry leaves etc., get their periodic share of diluted sour curds or buttermilk
* I don't add any supplements to make up for lack of soil trace elements. The compost I make from kitchen waste gives more than necessary - Calcium from egg shells (to avoid blossom end rot in tomatoes), Potassium from banana peels (for flowers and fruit) etc. the only other stuff I add for some plants is bonemeal - for Phosphorus (root growth, fruits)....

If one has ground space, Cucurbitae (pumpkin, gourds, cucumbers etc.) grow very well when planted around compost pits.
It has been a long time since I saw your post DerAlte Sir. How is your Safari ?

As usual - thorough message crammed with details.

I thought growing Cucurbitae calls for more care and work. I tried my hand with Pumpkin to no joy.
Old 21st July 2018, 20:48   #239
BHPian

Gardening experts in Team BHP?

I have curry leaves plant in a planter.
The underside of leaves are getting black spots which are increasing day by day.
Any solution to get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20180721_175639collage.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2018, 10:57   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I have curry leaves plant in a planter.

The underside of leaves are getting black spots which are increasing day by day.

Any solution to get rid of it?

I think they are eggs from some bug.
I had them once.
Used wet hands and they can be easily removed from the leaf.
If you want to be extra careful just remove those leaves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks